“The best bar in Nelson”

Bar Berlin
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I regularly visit Nelson and Bar Berlin is my home away from home!
The staff are very friendly and serve interesting, varied cocktails that hit the spot - every time!
The tasty treats served to accompany the cocktails are delicious and excellent value.
Did I mention the great entertainment? Live music including jazz, blues, rock. Then there's a weekly trivia night with questions that get my brain ticking. Love it!
I'm looking forward to my next trip to Bar Berlin.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Sounds like we went to a different place! Bar Berlin was our 'find' in Nelson! Friendly and competent! We had been We were back from the National Park and dying for a night out - the barman made the ladies amazing cocktail, not even on the menu! There was live paino when we arrived and by the time we decided to eat, there was a live accoustic duo! We had great food - tapas - local Nelson scallops in mornay, grilled mussels, chicken croquettes and a number of other dishes - we just kept ordering food & drinks and yes, we danced. We were only going to stay for a drink and something to eat - we left after 2am! You need to put this place on your list of what to do in Nelson! Michael

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We came to Nelson for a work conference and left having had a fantastic time. Not having been to Nelson before, we wanted to see what we could see in 2 days. We were walking the streets of Nelson and came across Bar Berlin. A big thank you to the Bar man who mixed a cocktail for the 3 of us, you only see that kind of cocktail shaking and making in the movies. The flavours were incredible. We all shared Tapas, which were so very tasty and priced fairly. We were served what we had asked for and expected. We were very fortunate to then be treated to an evening of jazz. Thanks for a great experience. I recommend this venue to anyone looking for a fantastic experience in a small town.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

My wife and I were wandering the street in Nelson's CBD. We were looking at different places to eat on a Wednesday evening. A heavy meal was not on the agenda and as we had eaten across a number of cuisine types over the previous few days so we wanted to try something different. I noticed an establishment which offered a Tapas menu located in a side street. I entered the premises and asked the barman who was dressed in a Fedora hat and wore braces on his pants how many Tapas servings we would require to approximate a reasonable serving for 2 people. The barman told me 3 or 4 should suffice. I asked if we needed to book. He said no, not on that particular evening. Later on we returned and ordered 4 dishes. Spicy meatballs, Hoki Bites, Caramalised Onion Tarts and Olives. We chose not to drink anything other than water. Whilst waiting for the food to be prepared I heard the familiar noise of a microwave chiming several times. We were the only customers in the bar who were eating and there was only on other person at the bar being served a cocktail and who left before our food came out. We waited over 20 minutes before the food arrived. After hearing the microwave oven and after waiting so long for simple food we were about to walk out. I wished we had.
We were served 4 small meatballs for $8.50NZ. Although they were passable to eat for the price we paid even for Tapas there was not enough on the plate. The Hoki Bites were passable to eat but again there was not enough with only 4 very small pieces. Also the Hoki looked like pre made packet fish pieces. They represented very poor value for $8.50NZ. The Caramalised Onion Tarts were woeful. The shortcrust pastry bases tasted shocking. The caramalised onion filling seemed to be straight from a bottle and was overly sweet. The combination of the cheap pre bought tarts and the filling gave them a peculiar sweetness almost that of a dessert but in a supposedly savoury dish. A truly memorable moment my wife and I both wished we could completely forget. At $12,.00 NZ the tarts were certainly on the nose in more ways than one. The olives were served in a dish shaped like a kayak both long and narrow. This unfortunately could not disguise the paltry amount of food present on the plate. We were provided with decorated little skewers the size of tooth picks to eat the olives. It became so frustrating trying to pick up the olives and the scraps of semi dried tomato out of the slot in the dish that we ended up resorting to our fingers. The olives were OK to taste, but the amount of food and the manner in the way they were served left a lot to be desired.
At the end of the meal we were $35.00NZ lighter in the pocket and we both still felt hungry but certainly not hungry for any other food at Bar Berlin. Bar Berlin advertises itself as "Nelson's BEST Cocktail Lounge Bar". I cannot speak personally about the cocktails but on the basis of the food we ate I would recommend Bar Berlin be avoided as the meal we had there was the worst value and the worst tasting meal we ate in our entire holiday in New Zealand.

1  Thank Peter H