“Great new hotel and friendly owners ” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Sails Nelson

The Sails Nelson
Ranked #1 of 42 Hotels in Nelson
“Great new hotel and friendly owners ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights and were so happy with the stay. The rooms are so modern, clean and comfortable. Loved the feather mattress!! The owners were very friendly and helpful with tips on what to do around the area. Highly recommended and great price too!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
max r, Owner at The Sails Nelson, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Hello Caris thank you for the review on your stay with us here at The Sails Nelson. We enjoy helping guests get the most out of their time in Nelson. We are always pleased to hear that guests have had a fantastic experience and felt that they were given friendly service and stayed in luxury suite with the best facilities, which is what we wanted to achieve when we decided to build the motel a year ago now. Regards Max and Robyn.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

Wonderful, sophisticated decor. Superb attention to detail. Best bed I have ever slept in. Do not hesitate to stay here. Warm and personal welcome. Amazingly well stocked kitchen. The bathroom was equipped with lovely complimentary toiletries and bathrobes were available along with soft and very big towels.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
max r, Owner at The Sails Nelson, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Hello thank you for taking the time to write a great review on your stay with us here at The Sails Nelson. We so pleased that you found the bed and bedding to be the best quality that you have ever slept in. We regularly get fantastic reviews on the luxury feel of the bedding and bathroom products. We look forward to you being able to get back to the Nelson region again soon. Regards
Max and Robyn.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

We decided to drive to Nelson on the spur of the moment so had no booking for accommodation. Fortunately for us, there was a cancellation at The Sails so were able to get a room. This motel is top notch from the beginning. Robin, the manager, was so friendly and helpful. She helped with bags, booked dinner at a very nice restaurant, and let us have a late checkout the next morning, even though they were fully booked. She gave us helpful information on what not to miss while in Nelson. The room was beautifully appointed from the top of the line kitchen to the amazing bed. There was a Nespresso machine, a big screen TV, and an oversize shower. It was pristine! Would most definitely stay there again, but would make a booking for sure!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
max r, Owner at The Sails Nelson, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Hello there Debbie, Thank you for your wonderful review about your stay with us here at The Sails Nelson. It was our pleasure to have you both stay with us both Robyn and Myself enjoyed spending time chatting with you on your way in and out of the motel. We are happy that you enjoyed the facilities in your suite and found them to be of a high quality. We look forward to your next spur of the moment get away. Regards Max and Robyn.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

I was in Nelson for a family celebration at the Founders park so The Sails Motel was only a 5 minute drive away. The welcome I received on my arrival from Max was like we were old friends. Imediately I knew I had chosen well when I decided to stay here. Then when I saw the room I was staying in I was blown away. It was so clean and spotless and I'm what you call a clean freak. The room had a coffee maker in it with a milk whipper to make a cappaccino or try to anyway. The bed was the best that I have ever stayed in I slept like a baby. I had a spa bath with a shower too it wsn't one of those rectangle bath types it was so big that I could really float around in all the bubbles and i'm tall. Robyn dropped us off a cafe style to our room of pancakes and a big breakfast with everything on and my poached eggs were perfect.
If you are in Nelson stay here you'll love it.

Room Tip: Get a spa exective room that's what I had.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
max r, Owner at The Sails Nelson, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you for writing a fantastic review about your stay with us here at The Sails Nelson. We first experienced the nespresso machines when we were in Europe and we are pleased that we decided to add them into our suites. The corner spa's are a lot more spacious than the bath style and add that extra luxury feel. The toppers on the beds are a so comforty. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast in your suite on the Sunday morning. Regards Max and Robyn.
Tauranga, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

I recently had the pleasure of staying at The Sails Motel in Nelson for a wonderful weekend. Max and Robyn were so friendly and helpful with their informative advice of the town's attractions and local restaurants. Nothing was a problem for this couple. They are just so approachable when ever I saw them. The unit i had had amazing views from the balcony over the city and mountains. I felt very safe in my unit and to walk to and fro to the shops as I was by myself. Max reassured me that he was always on site as they live at the motel and was just a phone call away. The bed was a dream and everything I could have needed had been thought of. I strongly recommend you look no further than The Sails if you are looking to stay in Nelson. I have already booked for next year when I return for a family wedding. Thank you again and all the best to you both. Marg

Room Tip: I had a room over looking the car park which was a wonderful unit which got the morning sun.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
max r, Owner at The Sails Nelson, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Hello Margaret, Thank you so much for the kind review about your stay with us here at The Sails Nelson. We are so pleased that you felt so safe and secure in your suite. It was lovely to have had our chats while passing in and around the motel and hearing about your family. We are looking forward to seeing you again next year when you are down for your families celebration. Regards Max and Robyn.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

I stayed in The Sails for 3 nights whilst attending a friend's wedding in Nelson and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. As others have said, this is more like a boutique hotel than a motel and the fact that the owners are onsite means that the level of personal service is top-notch. Rooms are small but somehow seem to fit an enormous, very comfortable bed, full kitchen, modern bathroom and and all the mod-cons (TV, Sky, iPod docking station, etc) into a compact and inviting space. Breakfast can be ordered the night before and whilst I didn't indulge, looked to be delicious with a great choice. On-site parking is available and cafes, restaurants, pubs and Nelson town centre are only about a 5-10 min walk away.

A special mention to Max & Robyn for lending their GPS so my friend and I could find our way to the (out-of-town) wedding venue as well as lending a formal jacket to my friend who had left his at home! Nothing was too much trouble and we really felt welcome.

Don't bother looking for anywhere else to stay in Nelson - just stay here.

Room Tip: All rooms are good but those overlooking Wainui St seem to have the best view and get the most sunsh...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
max r, Owner at The Sails Nelson, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Hello there. We just had such a great time with you guys. It was our pleasure to help out with the GPS and a jacket. We understand that it is easy to leave things behind and it would have been a waste to have brought another jacket just to wear to the wedding when you had a perfectly good one lying on bed at home unwrinkled. The good thing about catching the sun was that you had a suite each on either side of the motel so you could just move between them to get the sun. Thank you for taking the time to write a great review. Regards Max and Robyn.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

this is a relatively new establishment, the owner works the front desk and takes extreme care in orienting new guests at check ins including advice on dining and excursions etc. there is a charming motel cat. laundry available only 1 dollar for soap. the bed is super comfortable feather topper. kitchenette in the room with a dishwasher. TV had a lot more Channels than other New Zealand motels we stayed in. walking distance to all the best to eat and drink in Nelson easy to find off high way. would def stay again and I suggest you do, a tip, the lights are Eco friendly and you have to insert a room key into a switch by the door to turn on lights so they don't stay on while you are out

• Stayed October 2013
max r, Owner at The Sails Nelson, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
We are delighted that you chose to stay with us during your trip around the Nelson area. We have great pride in the layout and service that we give to all our guests from start to finish. We have tried to make the experience a memorable one of everyone Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review about your stay with us here at The Sails Nelson. Regards Max and Robyn