“Visual explosion!”

Ranked #13 of 23 Coffee & Tea in Nelson
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Arty farty..just what you'd expect from Takaka. An old movie cinema turned into a wonderful eatery with cabinet food that that makes you salivate. Little nooks and crannies all over the place with walls adorned with old movie posters and photographs of stars. Colourful, fun and the coffee wasn't bad either.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

The café is the end result of a progression of a business from a wholemeal trading business back in 1977when groups of young people moved into the area with dreams of a simple lifestyle. The owners of this café transformed the old Takaka Theatre building into the current wholefoods shop and café.

Because it offers good, nourishing, value-for-money food (the muffins are fantastic) and beverages, it is still supported by visiting ‘hippies’, locals and tourists. It also plays some good background jazz music.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

The food was delicious and vegetarian friendly. You order at the counter and pay, and get a number and find a table. A number of wait staff are constantly picking up plates at the counter and circling the many tables (both inside and out) trying to find the correct table. My husband received his order, and then 10 minutes later, the cashier came and told me the soup I ordered was no longer available. I re-ordered something else, and my order was then at the end of the line, so I waited another 10-15 minutes for another bowl of soup. However, all the food was very good and we were pleased with our meals.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Fabulous décor and setting. However, the 3 dishes we had for lunch were too salty and had to also be returned for heating. The place was packed out with people for the holidays, so I can only assume the food that we didn't get to sample was better.

Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Ordered a trim latte, they brought me a flat white. When I told them that I had ordered a latte was shown the till receipt for a flat white. Asked to pay the $1 difference in price before they'd bring me tyne drink I ordered. Seems their great reputation had given them the belief that customer service no longer matters.