“Speights Ale House”

Ranked #11 of 189 Restaurants in Nelson
Cuisines: Gastropub, New Zealand
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Situated on Quarantine Rd opposite Mitre 10 Mega and the WOW Museum we are proud to be the 17th Speight's Ale House across the country and the very first of the new look Ale House! Whether its good hearty portions of southern style food or Speight's exclusive range of award winning tap beer and extensive wine list this is the place to cater for all. With space for over 250 patrons in one of our many areas of the Restaurant , Bar or sun drenched Garden Bar there is always a spot for everyone. The Speight's Ale House brings strong traditions of legendary southern hospitality and you'll find the owner operator Gareth Caldwell and his great crew of staff live and breath by these age old values. With always plenty of entertainment , live sport and weekly specials keep your eye on our "What's on at The Ale House" to be sure not to miss out! Our popular upstairs area allows us to offer a private function area in which we are capable of catering for groups up to 75 people so whether it's a Birthday Party, Social Club gathering, or just a good old get together we can cater to your every need. Come on down and see what we are all about and start experiencing the Ale House way of Southern Hospitality! "Good on ya mate"
Reviewed August 27, 2014

I had planned my sister's 50th birthday and decided to go to Speights because we have had many great meals there before. We were a group of 30 so expected a few delays but no - we didn't. The meals came out basically all together, we were topped up with drinks whenever we needed them - the service was outstanding as was the food.

Thank you to all the staff involved on the night - you couldn't be faulted!

Sharon

Reviewed August 17, 2014

My husband and I were looking for somewhere to have lunch and as someone who has Coeliac disease this was proving to be difficult as the gluten free options on many of the menus we looked at were minimal. After looking at four restaurants we decided to go to the Speights Ale House. We were served by a lovely young waitress who wasn't fazed when I asked to change a couple of things on the Venison salad I ordered. The salad was huge so I got to take some of it home for dinner. Once we had started our meals, we appreciated being asked how they were. Have no hesitation in recommending this restaurant.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

I can't believe I've never thought to write a review for Speights; we go there regularly (to the point of missing out on the others which Nelson has to offer, just because its our favourite!). From the day we first went there we've never looked back, top-notch scores for everything, we can't fault it - staff, atmosphere, ambience, location, food, service, EVERYTHING!! It just has a magic about it, always look forward to the next visit. Also have to mention the manager, Caitlyn, what a gem. If you ever e-mail her for anything you won't wait long for a reply; she is enthusiastic, attentive and helpful, a very genuine lady. Well-done Speights! I should mention that the only thing 'wrong' with the food is that there is too much wonderful stuff to choose from, and unfortunately the first time we dined there I chose the most amazing crispy chicken salad which I fell in love with and have ordered EVERY time we go, meaning I haven't been able to sample their other dishes yet!

Reviewed July 29, 2014

Our business met at the Ale House for a get together, we had a table leaner that accommodated everyone, we had platters which were sensational. Our waitress was on the ball as far as drinks were concerned, overall we had a really great dining, meeting experience.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

We went with a group to eat and watch Rugby at the speights ale house in Nelson. The table we got wasn't very good for watching rugby.
The maitre d went out of her way to sort us another table, even though the place was fully booked. We received excellent service and the food was yummy. Probably the best pub food I have had in a long time. Steaks cooked exactly how you wanted.