“Great Food and Super Service”

Speight's Ale House
Ranked #11 of 179 Restaurants in Nelson
Cuisines: Gastropub, New Zealand
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Situated on Quarantine Rd opposite Mitre 10 Mega and the WOW Museum we are proud to be the 17th Speight's Ale House across the country and the very first of the new look Ale House! Whether its good hearty portions of southern style food or Speight's exclusive range of award winning tap beer and extensive wine list this is the place to cater for all. With space for over 250 patrons in one of our many areas of the Restaurant , Bar or sun drenched Garden Bar there is always a spot for everyone. The Speight's Ale House brings strong traditions of legendary southern hospitality and you'll find the owner operator Gareth Caldwell and his great crew of staff live and breath by these age old values. With always plenty of entertainment , live sport and weekly specials keep your eye on our "What's on at The Ale House" to be sure not to miss out! Our popular upstairs area allows us to offer a private function area in which we are capable of catering for groups up to 75 people so whether it's a Birthday Party, Social Club gathering, or just a good old get together we can cater to your every need. Come on down and see what we are all about and start experiencing the Ale House way of Southern Hospitality! "Good on ya mate"
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We had a very tasty meal at the Ale House. The service was excellent. We enjoyed a few beers before dinner. The menu has a varied choice and I am already thinking what my next meal will be on my next visit! Thanks guys. Will definitely come again.

There are newer reviews for Speight's Ale House

Reviewed April 4, 2013

What a huge disappointment, my husband and I went for dinner last night. We had booked for 8pm, they seated us then went to get some water which seemed to take for ever. They then returned to take our drink order, we had been waiting for some time for our drink order then they forgot about us and asked the table beside us for a top up of there drink. We ordered the prime rib, they had run out of roasted baby potato, so we had a choice of chips or mashed potato. Our meal arrived the only good thing on the plate was the steak, the chips where undercooked, caramelized baby onion, what caramelized onion, the Portobello mushroom we had to search on our plate for them and they where the size of small button mushroom I had two of them on my plate. The servviced was slack. There was not love made in our food, just a sloppy plate. Very very disappointed. We will never return there again.

5  Thank Tania P
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Went for a work do. Was so disappointed yes there was a big tabble of us but no excuse. I had the drunken steak I ordered medium well it was way under done but I still ate it as there was lots of us and did not want to make a scene then I ordered a mock tail and it came as a cocktail and I couldn't get a waiters attention to fix it so gave it to my work friend to drink then I got a chocolate mud cake well yuck!! Under the ice cream and cake they ha out what the thought was sugar tasted like salt. I told the waiter she took it away and then brought it back and told me all the kitchen tried it and its sugar. She threw it down on the tabble and walked off. I did not even eat what was left of it after all the kitchen had eaten it. Then when I went to pay they expected me to pay for the desert the kitchen had eaten!!! All in all what a crap meal!

2  Thank Thesecreteater4
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Food ok, husband likes the beer! Very busy on a Friday night as you'd expect but easy to get a table to eat as most customers were there to drink. I think being downstairs not as pleasant as being upstairs where we were last time and hence why I've given an average rating.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

This place is exactly what we needed in our town! Fabulous food, terrific atmosphere with live music. Always nice and busy but never too busy to take care of you. We love going here for meals and the staff do a great job.