“Leave this one to the young travellers!”

Paradiso Backpackers
Ranked #10 of 42 Specialty Lodging in Nelson
Perth WA
“Leave this one to the young travellers!”
Reviewed December 7, 2010

As a mature female solo traveller i booked this one without looking in to it enough and regretted it enough to reduce my 3 night stay to 2. This is definitely a hostel for the younger traveller. Lounge rooms was crowded, the other lounge area required you to climb a ladder above reception. The two kitchens were filthy in comparison to every other backpacker i have stayed at (about 6), i came in to the kitchen one morning and EVERY surface was covered with dishes that werent done. The 4 door share room i stayed in with ensuite was small (and they have bunk beds, fortunately other hostels are starting to phase these out!). I just got the feeling that they had crammed a lot more rooms into the space than they needed to. Another mature traveller warned me that a bus was coming in that night and to expect not to get any sleep as he had experienced two nights previously. It didnt happen to me but it did happen to him. Distance wise it is about a 10 min walk to town on flat land so thats a bonus, they did pick me up from the bus station as well but i got the impression this isnt always the norm. Service was friendly enough but to me the place was just crowded with bodies! HOWEVER, having said that, i definitely got the impression that the young people didnt seem to mind one bit, so not completely ditzing this place, just saying, as the title says 'LEAVE THIS ONE TO THE YOUNG TRAVELLERS'. Oh, and WIFI was available but it was slow.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank TravellingAnge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed September 25, 2010

Great house & rooms, nice garden. Free breakfast and (slow) WIFI. 10 min walk to the city. I loved my stay there!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Gaensebluemchen1111
Cobh, Ireland
Reviewed August 12, 2010

This is the most spectacular place to stay in new zealand
good clean rooms, and besides the odd 1 or 2 annoying guests and my milk went missing once too it would be quite easy to live here I DID
we intended on staying for 3-4 nights but stayed for 8 weeks instead
free breakfast, free, WIFI, free vegetable soup every day, free noodles on arrival,
swimming pool sauna hot tub
it was simply an awesome time of my life, and will return

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Apia, Samoa
Reviewed June 23, 2010

For 2 weeks I stayed in Nelson at the Paradiso Backpackers. What a place! Absolutely fabulous. When I first arrived I was greeted by some very friendly English managers. The room they offered me was very clean and tidy. As I arrived in the late afternoon and did not have any food on me it was a very pleasant surprise to find out that I was able to have a nice plate of hot soup. Even though it was winter in NZ the weather was sunny and mild, which gave me the opportunity to enjoy the beautiful and well maintained gardens. I could just imagine how lovely it would be in summer to relax in one of the hammocks. It was fantastic to be able to follow the football world cup on a flat screen. Should I ever have the opportunity to come back to Nelson I would always go back to Paradiso with it's friendly staff and I will definitely recommend it to my fellow travelers, I am going to meet on the rest of my journey.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Queenstown, New Zealand
Reviewed June 20, 2010

Brilliant hostel! Really good atmosphere with loads of friendly happy people. Amazing that you get breakfast and free soup in the evenings, it saved me sooo much money! I would definately stay here again and reccommoend it to everyone.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed June 18, 2010

I was really surprsied to find such a cool place to stay. Kitchen was great, managers lovely and helpful, rooms clean and comfortable. I really enjoyed the atmosphere amongs the people. I am not a friend of a sauna but liked the spa! It was a real highlight for me that it was possible to watch all the soccer world cup games :) I can only recommend it!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
bristol, england
Reviewed June 12, 2010

This hostel was in a good location with friendly staff who supply you with a pack of free noodles when you check in.
The kitchen was nice, big and clean, and the 4 bed dorm i was in was spacious and the en-suite bathroom was clean.
The free soup in the evenings was dreadfull - basically it was water with a few vegetables floating around! The free breakfast was better - but you have to get there quick before they run out of milk and bread.
Unfortunately the worst part of this hostel were the beds. The mattress was very thin and uncomfortable and around the bed was alot of dirt which wasnt very nice and that would put me off staying again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo