“Loved it!”

Paradiso Backpackers
Ranked #25 of 45 Specialty Lodging in Nelson
Reviewed October 29, 2009

Have moved on after a beautiful 4 month long stay in New Zealand.
I spent 3 weeks alone in Nelson at the Paradiso Hostel while I only planned for one :-) Great place! I had a four share room bed and heaps of fun meeting others, relaxing by the pool or chilling out in a hammock with my book. My rooms and the facilities where clean and well maintained.

They offer lots of free stuff for the bucks, I just say free wireless internet, breakfast and you gotta love the soup, yummy! Also the staff (Rhonda) was very helpful with organising my trips to Abel Tasman.

I'll definitely go back to Nelson to do some Kite Surfing at Tahunanui Beach and I know where I'm gonna stay...

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo

Reviewed September 11, 2009

Hi,

Thanks for your enquiry. We have availability for the dates requested. Our units are available for $ per night, this includes king sized bed, ensuite with spa bath, kitchen facilities, satelite television, dvd player, free wi fi and free breakfast.

If you'd like to proceed with your booking please forward credit card details. Thanks

Kind Regards
Jagon

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 24, 2009

Our cottage was dirty and very old. The shower was never warm and was directly over the toilet...and the shower water never drained. We checked out two days earlier. I will add that the staff was very nice.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 16, 2009

We stayed Paradiso Apartments (separate building from the nearby hostel building) for 2 nights. The room was like a motel-room, not super new, but at least not worn and musty smelling like old motel rooms. Room was spacious and had a nice kitchen corner with coffee/tea bags, cutlery, fridge etc. The bath tub had a jacuzzi, however, as it was a standard bath tub, not a round tub, mostly the jet sprays were targeting your back area. Location-wise, it's a 15 min walk through the quiet residential area from town-could feel very quiet and dark if you are walking back alone at night. The staff are not nasty, just overworked and harassed from the loads of backpackers milling around (hostel is major drop off point for backpacker buses)-Rhonda is actually OK when she catches her breath. There are some pay-to-use internet terminals with dinosaur monitors, which you have to climb up a ladder in the TV room to access-watch that back! I didn't see anyone using the swimming pool when I was there, it just looked nice on the website. Overall OK for a short stay, but don't expect too much service.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2009

I turned up at Paradiso on a tour bus and had the most amazing time ever. Right from when we all checked in to when we had to depart a couple days later. Rhonda at reception is so lovely, she helped us with so much during our stay. I really don't know how Rhonda does it, she seems to be working 24/7! She really is Super Rhonda (from the pic on the wall in reception). My room was the really clean and nice and warm. I felt so comfortable staying here, I will be telling all my friends to stay here when they decide to visit NZ. They also have apartments on the other side of the backpackers. I heard that they are also great with King beds and spa bath, ahhh pure luxury - especially for a backpacker and I think they are only $99, that would be worth it after a day out at Abel Tasman National Park. Anyway, great service, staff and hostel. I had such a great time and will always remember Paradiso when telling everyone at home about my NZ trip!

• Stayed: April 2009
Reviewed April 17, 2009

Paradiso has got to be THE WORST hostel we've ever come accross.

Don't be fooled by the great-looking pix from the website and the raving reviews. We've recently visited, and were horrified with the REAL Paradiso (see pix we took of our room). Rhonda, the VERY RUDE operator/receptionist was not at all surprised and symphathetic when we complaint over the disgusting, health-hazard of a room she rent out to us. She did not even offer any apologies, resolutions or refund and we ended up staying elsewhere because we were concerned over breathing & sleeping in the NOISY, SMELLY, MOULD-COVERED room.

Picture speaks a thousand words - check out these URLs, judge for yourselves & save yourselves the troubles!

img145.imageshack.us/img145/9996/paradisonelsonnzcobwebs.jpg

img144.imageshack.us/img144/7554/paradisonelsonnznotices.jpg

img524.imageshack.us/img524/43/paradisonelsonnztoiletb.jpg

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 15, 2009

We just came back from our big tour of NZ and I had to comment on the AMAZING service and fun we had at Paradiso,I am stunned by the comments made about Rhonda,without her our stay would not have been as memorable, from the start Rhonda was there for us for anything at anytime and sorted out many deals for us on local trips,we stayed at many places and all very different but Paradiso was by far the best,check out the other reviews and do not be put off by someones nasty comments,Rhonda you rock !!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends