“Great service - best for a younger crowd”

Paradiso Backpackers
Ranked #10 of 42 Specialty Lodging in Nelson
Breckenridge, Colorado
“Great service - best for a younger crowd”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Good location and facilities. Free hour of WiFi was cool. They arranged direct shuttle and bus pickup for us at no charge, very helpful staff! Also held our bags free of charge while we kayaked in Abel Tasman. Good on-site security measures like locks on all gates after hours. Free breakfast was a bit of a joke, they ran out of milk super early every day and there was no staff around that early to bring more so cereal was a loss.

We should've taken our Lonely Planet seriously when it called Paradiso "club med for the impoverished." Pretty crazy party scene - it would have been fun for us 10 years ago. 18-22 year olds partying loudly by the pool at all hours - we were there 3 nights in January and it was like that every night.

It wasn't terrible, but I wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms in the apartment complex, away from the main house are quieter. If you want to party all nigh...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed August 8, 2012

we stayed here 1 night and were pleasantly surprised by all that was on offer. we had our own van so stayed in the car park for $10 each, were given an hour's wifi each, a pack of supernoodles upon arrival and told that we cld help ourselves to homemade soup at 6pm. what excellent value for money. the fact that there was a pool (didn't go in cos it was rather chilly outside), sauna and spa, plus a volleyball court and outdoor after hours party bus made me love this place from the word go. free brekkie (toast, tea and cereal)= a winner. the kitchen is large and very communal, like someone's house and the tv room with mezzanine level for the computers make it seem like a den for relaxing. Only downside was that there was a noisy group in the kitchen when we were there but that's not the lodgings fault; it gave us a good excuse to head into town to the Freehouse pub which is awesome and only 10mins down the road. a casual night out in nelson always seems to turn into a bigger night out so it's best to stay somewhere within walking distance. one for the girls- no need to pack you GHDs, they have some in the bathroom!! ($2 for 20mins).

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 7, 2012

stayed in apartment section for 3 nights. it was brilliant. room and bathroom were huge and spotless. tv and fridge as well. beds were really conformable. it's a small bit out of town and from the shops but it's worth staying here it's so nice. if they could clean the kitchen properly and regularly this place would be 10/10 for me. we stayed in July and it was over crowded in kitchen as people had no where else to go. during summer, the pool and volleyball are other areas outside would be open, and the kitchen wouldn't be the main "entertainment room". staff were extremely helpful. we also stayed in the YHA in nelson, it has class facilities too and is very clean. my advise, YHA during winter and Paradiso during the summer (with a clean kitchen)

Room Tip: summer time hostel really!
Nelson, Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed July 30, 2012

The Paradiso Backpackers is by far the best hostel I've ever stayed at! The staff are amazing, the atmosphere is great and the facilities are 2nd to none!!! I would highly recommend anyone to stay here...it's an experience you'll never forget!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Ashland, Oregon
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Liked the facilities (pool, spa, sauna, nice chairs and palm trees outside, cool lounges for tv and internet, nice sunny dining area, soup and bread for dinner, breakfast), but the crowd here is a party crowd. There are a bunch of regulars that work in Nelson and they were up until 3 A.M. drinking, smoking and being loud. Doesn't make for a good nights sleep for those who want it. We were planning to stay a second night until midnight and we changed our minds and are checking out this morning.

kaikoura
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I was checked into this hostel at about 10pm by the nightporter who was very helpful and showed me to my room. It was a friday night so it was pretty busy in the communal areas but everywhere was clean and tidy. Everyone was having a good time and it was a really nice atmosphere.. I stayed for 3 nights and it was perfect. I met some lovely people.

Room Tip: the back rooms have ensuite
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Purplezombie
Reviewed June 9, 2012

After reviewing which hostel to stay in I opted for Paradiso. I was lured by the pool and spa, sounded wonderful! I had planned to stay for afew nights. Arrived in the evening, and was greeted by friendly reception staff and free noodles for dinner, yum.

I went to the kitchen to make myself dinner, oh dear...it was full of pretencious teenagers (one of them sitting at the table wearing shades). They had dubstep blearing from a hifi. and it just felt like a youth club (kids hugging in the corridors). Maybe it was louder being a saturday night, and St.Patricks night, the hostel is a fair walk away from the town centre.

I might have enjoyed the place, had I been with a group of friends, but at 32 and still an avid festival goer, I wouldnt say I'm past it. I went to my bunk, which was in an outhouse type cabin, it had pink eye graffiti on the wall, and just felt grim.

The noise was pretty awful (second to Nomads in Auckland) waking up through the night with the all night party people chatting away.

When morning came, I looked forward to at least the free breakfast,I had planned on toast, but luckily saw the big splondge of mould in the middle of it, had some dusty cereal instead. Taxi!

Good notice board, and friendly staff (that need to stand up to the cool cronies). Shame I didnt get to try the pool, looked awesome!

Out of the 30 or so hostels Ive stayed in, in New Zealand, this gets second prize for worst hostel

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo