“Fabulous B & B - add to your list!”
Review of Baywick Inn

Baywick Inn
Ranked #10 of 55 Nelson B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 13, 2007

We stayed here for 3 nights in Burnside (2 adults and a child) in July. The room was very comfortable (the daybed was plenty big enough and very comfy for our 11 year old). The house has been beautifully restored and it made a change to stay in a B & B instead of 5* hotels while we spent 3 weeks in NZ and Australia. The town centre is a few minutes walk away and the house itself is in a very nice, quiet residential area and easy to find. Breakfast is the Baywick's 'Crowning Glory' and Tim and Janet are very welcoming. All in all very good value! Highly recommended - faultless!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed March 19, 2007

Baywick Inn is a beautifully restored historic home situated a short walk from Nelson city sites, restaurants and shops. The house is beautiful, the rooms very comfortable and the breakfast wonderful, but the very best part of our stay was the hostess, Janet, and host, Tim. They were as welcoming and helpful as possible without being the least overbearing--perfect, really. Janet is a font of information about Nelson, directing us to sites we weren't aware of and to a restaurant (The Cut) where we had one of the very best meals of our stay in NZ. She's cheerful, helpful and fun to talk with. In addition, my wife discovered Janet was a fellow quilter and got directions from her for a fabric store in...Christchurch, since, according to Janet, Nelson didn't have a store with the selection and quality of material my wife was hoping for. Now that's service.
Our only regret was that we weren't staying longer (I missed seeing Tim's MG).
If you're staying in Nelson and looking for a B&B in this range, quit reading these reviews and book a room. I hope there's a date open for you.
Highly, highly recommended.
BW & KW
USA

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank RUW
Reviewed February 13, 2007

Tim and Janet are terrific and the Baywick Inn is wonderfully located in Nelson. I was traveling with my mom, and Tim made sure that 1) we stayed enough nights in Nelson so as to see both Abel Tasman Park and Nelson and 2) that I used a reliable kayak touring company. At the same time, Janet pointed my mom in the right direction for her day while I went off kayaking (at some ungodly hour in the morning, yet Tim was there sending me off with muffins to fuel the kayak venture). The house is a short walk -- a few blocks, max -- from downtown Nelson, so those of you who intend to taste every New Zealand wine on the wine list wil be able both to do that and stagger home without incident, as we did one night. The rooms are spacious and nicely decorated and even the one whose bathroom was in the hall, which I had, was large and comfy. Don't forget to tour the World of Wearable Art. It's very cool.

Stayed: April 2006
2  Thank Ackwards
Reviewed February 11, 2007

In February 007, we just stayed two nights at the Baywick, Inn in Nelson, NZ. The room was wonderful. The breakfast was gourmet excellent. Janet, a Canadian restauranteur for 9 years, serves a superb breakfast consisting of fruit, yogurt, cereals, plus a hot meal such as eggs, french toast, etc. Could not ask for more. Her husband, Tim, also could not do enough for us. The couple are more than helpful when it comes to giving advice about what to do in the region, etc. Their dog, Mombazzie, is adorable. I strongly recommend this B&B.

Stayed: February 2007
3  Thank Ottawan
Reviewed December 2, 2006

Baywick is very sweet, as is Janet and her pup. The home is very cute (if not a bit cluttered in its decour -- acknowledging, of course, that is very much a matter of taste).

It is in a very good location, easy walking distance to the "geographic center of NZ" (worth the hike) and, more importantly, down town.

Janet is a really wonderful cook -- we only had a single breakfast, but it was really great. Not having done it, I still feel confident in recommending that someone staying there ask Janet to prepare a dinner, as I am sure it would be excellent.

I really don't have any reservations other than to say that, without really being able to put my finger on anything lacking, it was not the most luxurious place that I have stayed. I don't at all mean to impy that it wasn't great, because it was -- it just wasn't 5* -- given how inexpensive it is, in any case, I thought it was fabulous value.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hashtaginfluencer
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 19, 2006

The Baywick is a superb B&B in every respect. Attention to detail and comfort are the watchwords of this beautiful B&B. All the little conveniences are attended to. In fact, I am sure Janet and Tim (the hosts and owners of the Baywick) could write a book on how to make travelers happy and comfortable. The breakfast is fantastic and Janet and Tim are helpful without being obtrusive. They will happily supply you with advice as to what to do during your stay, make dinner reservations, etc. It is also located in a lovely setting that is quiet but an easy walk to the town center. What more can you want!

• Stayed: May 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 15, 2006

The Baywick Inn is a bed and breakfast but is in every respect 5* and much better than you will find in many top rate hotels. We stayed only 1 night (could have done with more as Nelson is a lovely place). Our hosts Tim and Janet were excellent as is Janet's cooking. The place is furnished with antiques but with every modern convenience and lots of extras in the bathroom. There is guest parking in the grounds Although a B&B we ate there in the evening as 3 other guests had asked if Janet could do a dinner. What a feast!! Excellent and not expensive. Breakfast was a delight. Cannot recommend this place highly enough.

6  Thank hippofreak