“Wonderful boat trip with coastal walk”

Nelson i-SITE Visitor Information Centre
Ranked #9 of 84 things to do in Nelson
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Located on the corner of Trafalgar & Halifax Streets. Friendly, Knowledgeable and Enthusiastic i-SITE Travel Consultants. We can book your NZ Travel, Accommodation and Activities at no extra cost. Incredible i-SITE space incorporating the Nelson DOC Visitor Centre. Lots of incredible picture boards with display brochures and information on our region and beyond. Let us take the hassle out of booking your holiday in our beautiful region and across the country. Quick, easy, secure, cost effective. We also sell tickets to a range of local and national events.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We were picked up at our hotel by coach and had a half hour journey to Kaiteriteri where we boarded a boat which took us for an hour boat ride up the coast to Tonga Quarry where we started our 2hr walk along the coastal path back to Medlands Beach where we were picked up for our return boat trip back to the coach and taken back to our hotel. We can thoroughly recommend this trip

3  Thank candt1969

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Was looking for a one day, low exertion experience in Abel Tasman National Park. The i-site assistant suggested cruise'n'cuisine at Abel Tasman with the ferry from Kaiteriteri. Got a relaxed ferry ride through the bays on one of the sunniest days in October. Met lots of interesting people on the boat and only felt guilty that there were so many incredibly fit 70 somethings on their way to walk the trails while I was off to Peppers Awaroa Lodge. Excellent suggestion from the i-site staff.

2  Thank fooey1960
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

We had a beautiful time there. Were only there for three hours but the coastline walk was awesome. There was no charge for the walk, toilet facilities were available and it was well worth the drive up to be Abel Tasman national Park. Many people take several days tenting hikes in the park. It looks wonderful.

2  Thank Fastphilad
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I spent the night in the Abel Tasman with a couple of friends on our gap year. It was probably one of the most memorable experiences of my life! Despite the cold weather (we went in NZ winter)it was brilliantly sunny (apparently Nelson enjoys the most sunshine of the whole of NZ). We started off the visit with some sea kayaking with a very friendly guide to took us out to see the local sea lions. He did take us closer than strictly allowed (though not invasively so) and we were greeted with all the younger sea lions coming out to swim around us. One even jumped up onto the splash-deck of my friend's kayak - much to his horror as he turned to the guide demanding to know "do they bite?!".

After that we walked up inland and set up camp in a large wooden hut. If I recall, there are a number of these dotted around throughout the national park for walkers to camp in overnight. It was arguably well furnished for what it was, with mattresses on the wooden bunk beds and very clean interior.

The whole second day was spent walking from our campsite to the exit of the park. This took us through a number of landscapes and a variety of breathtaking views. I would have been happy to stay another day and for those who actively enjoy walking/hiking holidays I think the Abel Tasman park should definitely be on the bucket list!

3  Thank 0_Tom_0
Reviewed September 23, 2013

My first stop upon arrival in Nelson, they informed me of the attractions and accommodation options suitable for my needs. Lots of brochures available and they were so knowledgeable and helpful in planning my Abel Tasman trip, letting me know all the options from a few hours to multiple day treks.

2  Thank Ellaern