“Wonderful flavours” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Gourmandise

La Gourmandise
Ranked #17 of 170 Restaurants in Nelson
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Dining on a budget, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Wonderful flavours”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

Great little French Restaurant with truly fabulous flavours. I chose the veal with mushrooms which had a good old fashioned country taste. The Creme brûlée was very nice, but not quite as good as others I've had. Tables down the bench seats are perhaps a little close together. Very reasonable prices.

Visited June 2014

• Korean first
Viera, Florida
“Best French restaurant in the South Island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2014

Found this gem while wandering around Nelson before a tennis tournament and decided to come for dinner that evening. It did not disappoint. My husband and I shared the warm goat cheese salad, he had the steak with frites and I had the duck. Everything was wonderful. I wish I'd saved room for dessert because they looked lovely.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Nelson, New Zealand
“Lovely pleasant meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

It was our wedding anniversary so I spent some time choosing the right venue .. We both had French onion soup as starter, I have been spoilt with French onion on med cruise menu was overseen by Jaques Pepan and in New York at Anthoney Bourdains restaurant plus various Paris cafés , it is a simple soup but hard to perfect , felt it lacked depth and would think the stock needed more reduction. For main I has the cassoulet , good but the pork belly could have had more cooking and I guess getting Toulouse sausage in Nelson must be difficult a more rustic sausage would be nice couldn't real find the confit of duck but, but nice. Mrs had the Galette which was sort of vegetarian which the test was' would order it again? Yes so all ok . now the dessert creame brûlée absolutely superb!! Just light vanilla background and custard the correct consistency and the sugar caramelised exactly right. Service was pleasant and timely. I may seem a little critical but over all a very enjoyable meal for the 44th anniversary golly !time flies when you are having fun

Visited June 2014
“Great value french cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

We were looking for the italien restaurant that we visited this time last year but it had been replaced by a generic nz cuisine restaurant. Didn't fancy that. Next door but one to the sprig and fern pub is la gourmandise restaurant. What a pleasure! Lovely welcoming staff and cosy atmosphere. And the food was wonderful. And 2 courses for 30 bucks was better value than the equivalent alternatives that we had tried last year at 35 bucks a main. Try it. You will. To be disappointed. Save room for the Mille feuille, deadly.

Visited May 2014
Nelson, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Enjoyed our meal here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

I had a lovely meal here with friends. It was the first time I had been there and I will definitely go again. Theres a wonderful array of French cousine on the menu to choose from. Highly recomended.

• Visited April 2014