“Disappointing dessert.”

Smugglers Pub and Cafe
Ranked #10 of 179 Restaurants in Nelson
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: SUPREME WINNER TOP SHOP 2014 and WINNER FOOD, BEVERAGE & HOSPITALITY CATEGORY - NELSON The Smugglers Pub and Cafe is famous for its hearty meals, foaming craft ales and great wines all served up in a unique old world atmosphere.Located within easy walking distance from Nelson's Tahunanui Beach and set amongst the areas' busy motel district, the Smugglers is ideally placed to cater for your group no matter how large or small. Food is available all day and into the evening with extensive snack, lunch and dinner menus including gluten free and children's menus for young smugglers. We stock a variety of regional, national and international wines along with Mac's & Speights beers, Guinness, Kilkenny, Becks and Stella Artois.We are open seven days a week including most holidays and absolutely no surcharges ever. So come on down relax and enjoy the award winning atmosphere that is so unique to Smugglers.
Nelson, New Zealand
“Disappointing dessert.”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Smugglers is always a favourite place for us to visit so I arranged to meet my Canadian friends there. The service & mains did not disappoint. We were all very happy with our mains meals. I was sad that the lime posset was no longer on the menu as it was exquisitely wonderful. The replacement Lemon Tart with Lime sorbet is a passable second best though.

However when it came time to order dessert I raved on about the Knickerbocker Glory’s beauty so my young son and our male friend both ordered it.
When they arrived I was so embarrassed. They looked absolutely disgusting, brown smudginess in a parfait glass. In hind site I wish I had taken a photo and said something at that time. I was just so taken aback.
My son has had it before so knew how it should be, and later he told me it was awful. Chocolate ice cream, caramel sauce, crunchy raw fruit buried at the bottom and a shortbread sort of biscuit. All combined to look like nothing glorious at all!

What happened to the wonderfully colourful layers of ice cream sitting on top of fruit, beautifully presented in a tall glass with fruit sauce, whipped cream and topped with a cherry and wafer???

• Visited February 2014
Alibeare001, Public Relations Manager at Smugglers Pub and Cafe, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
We are pleased that you enjoyed your mains and the service our staff provided on the night.

Speaking to our head chef we believe that the dessert you previously had was our discontinued black cherry parfait that was on our menu last year, it is easily confused with our knickerbockerglory which is served in the same style of glass with chocolate, strawberry and a caramel sauce drizzled around the glass.

Others will use a canned soft fruit salad, we prefer to use fresh fruit that’s in season from around our region which accounts for the crunchy fruit in the bottom of the glass.

Thank you though for your review and we have taken on board your comments.

• Czech first
  • Korean first
“Ribs to die for”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

If you love a good helping of mouthwatering ribs then look no further. A marinade that truly is a gift from Old Long John Silver himself! Definitely the best I've ever had. Awesome decor and great staff. Can't wait to visit Nelson and Smugglers again.

• Visited December 2013
Alibeare001, Public Relations Manager at Smugglers Pub and Cafe, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Thanks for visiting Smugglers and writing such a positive review..So happy you enjoyed our Ribs...

Sydney, Australia
“Best food in the South Island!”
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

We had dinner at smugglers as it was recommended to us by the motel host. Wow! We started with garlic bread that was served as a full loaf, warm and partially pre-cut with the butter served separately so you could control the spread.....so yummy! The meals were just brilliant and topped off with a beautiful locally made Pinot Gris! I had the headless chicken and my husband had the steak. Our only regret is that we were only in Nelson for one night otherwise we would have been back again the next!

Visited February 2014
Thanks for your lovely review and we are happy to hear you enjoyed your meal and wine at Smugglers Pub & Cafe

Christchurch, New Zealand
“great experience!!!”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I was visiting Nelson for the the weekend on a business trip, though passing I had never visited smugglers bar and cafe, looking for a nice place for a raflaxing dinner after a long day of meetings I made the desition to attend smugglers.
My visit was greatly received with not only excellent ales on tap but very friendly faces behind the bar , after sitting down I made the desition to order the “prized pork”, this was cooked to perfection with my knife just sinking through the tender slice of meet, this was served with beautifully roasted potatoes and seasoned veges.
After finishing my meal, my dish was cleared promptley and was given the desert menu but due to this main corse being such a good portion I was unable to sample there great selection.
Leaving the resturant I was admiring the brillant atmosphere of not only the interior but the exterior and am very impressed so much so I am taking my wife and three kids there in two weeks time.
Five out of five guys

• Visited January 2014
We are happy to hear you stopped in at Smugglers Pub and Cafe, glad you enjoyed your meal and experience and look forward to seeing you again with your family

Hokitika, New Zealand
“A must when visiting Nelson”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We had a top class meal at Smugglers, I had the salmon and it was absolutely premo, our 9 year old son wanted to return the next day as he said his meal was delicious. The staff were friendly and couldn't do enough for us, we even had the owner come and ask if we were happy with our meals. This will be a regular stop for us when visiting Nelson and would highly recommend this outstanding restaurant to others especially family's as it is good value for money.

• Visited January 2014
Alibeare001, Public Relations Manager at Smugglers Pub and Cafe, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Thanks for your fab review, we are so glad you enjoyed your meal and experience with us at Smugglers and look forward to seeing you again next time you are in Nelson.