It's a very nice building with a couple of other houses in the grounds, there's plenty of room to just relax, a very comfortable TV lounge with plenty of movies, free tea and proper coffee and even free bread/cakes every afternoon. Most rooms are comfortable and spacious, but you can get unlucky and get the one or two rooms which aren't so nice.
The reception staff are very friendly and helpful, really make the place feel comfortable and welcoming.
The down sides as I see them:
- There's a community of long term guests living on the premises, they're friendly enough but one of the guys can be very overbearing and constantly has to be the center of attention.
- The outside area stinks of smoke, it's not very comfortable for a none smoker.
- Everyone's constantly getting high, a lot of the long term guests seem to be staying there just for the smoking hut.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Check in as a traveller and leave as a friend. Help yourself to our tea and real coffee and tuck into a complimentary breakfast each morning. Sit on the deck and gaze at the sea or Centre of New Zealand whilst strumming one of our guitars or reading a book from our international book exchange. Play a tune on the piano in the music room. Lie back and swing in one of our hammocks. Access our free WiFi and check your emails in our spacious lounge. Enjoy hot pressured showers in our delightful colourful bathrooms. Enjoy socialising at the BBQ area with new friends. Make friends with one of our hostel cats. Enjoy a good night's sleep in one of our spacious dorms or doubles (no bunks!). A place to relax and a base to explore one of New Zealand's most interesting cities, rich in art and culture, which enjoys 2500 hours of sunshine per year. Explore the Abel Tasman, Kahurangi and Nelson Lakes National Parks, right on our doorstep. ... more less