“Nice place, funny smoke”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nelson
The Palace Backpackers
Ranked #14 of 42 Specialty Lodging in Nelson
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“Nice place, funny smoke”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

It's a very nice building with a couple of other houses in the grounds, there's plenty of room to just relax, a very comfortable TV lounge with plenty of movies, free tea and proper coffee and even free bread/cakes every afternoon. Most rooms are comfortable and spacious, but you can get unlucky and get the one or two rooms which aren't so nice.

The reception staff are very friendly and helpful, really make the place feel comfortable and welcoming.

The down sides as I see them:
- There's a community of long term guests living on the premises, they're friendly enough but one of the guys can be very overbearing and constantly has to be the center of attention.
- The outside area stinks of smoke, it's not very comfortable for a none smoker.
- Everyone's constantly getting high, a lot of the long term guests seem to be staying there just for the smoking hut.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank NoBeachForMe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

Wonderful old house that has been converted into a hostel. Service was great and people staying were all friendly. Only complaint is that the beds weren't the best. They also provided a free breakfast for us.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

Before we travelled to nelson we checked trip advisor to suss out the local hostels. The reviews the Palace has been getting were nearly enough to put us off going there but thankfully we said we'd try it out.
It's a couple of minutes walk away from te main streets of Nelson, so wasn't too far too walk from bus stop. There are a lot of steps at the front the building which I a bit of a nightmare when carrying heavy luggage but the warm welcome you receive on arrival makes the steps easy to forget. The manager Robin greeted us, gave us a tour of the hostel and introduced us to everyone. He really is the shining light in the Palace, so friendly and helpful to everyone.
There's free breakfast and free wifi (the wifi is limited but enough to do you as long as your not surfing you tube or downloading lots of things) theres free tea and coffee provides, but no milk so make sure you being your own. They also have a free delivery of left over food from a local bakery at around 5 pm, cakes, pies and pastries, gorgeous!!
The decor is quite old, but in no way is the place run down or in need of renovation, the antique look simply adds character and is a different experience to any other hostel we've stayed in on our travels which was nice.
So the main reason I wanted to review the place was because of the previous comments referring to the owner Dave being quite scary and rude. During our few days there we saw Dave come and go through the hostel but he didn't man the reception or have much to do with the customers except general chit chat, so I advise that you not let previous comments put you off, it's a great hostel! The only let down we had there was a horrible guy who worked there called Steve, he was the exact opposite of Robin! Miserable, rude and he couldn't have been more unhelpful, apart from him though the hostel can't be faulted! Great place, will definately be back for another visit.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Jessie045
Malmo, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

We were out of money, hungry and had been walking around Nelson for hours in the rain trying to find a hostel where we could do work for accomodation when we stubled upon the Palace by accident. And how happy I am that we did!! Robin took us in and introduced us to all the other guests and we felt right at home. We went from being incredibly sad to having the best time ever :) This place feels like the house you grew up in and looks like a castle. Without a doubt the best hostel I ever stayed/worked at during my time in New Zealand. The people working here made the last weeks of our trip fantastic, I'm so glad to have met them and I recommend you guys to everyone. Loved it! Thank you Steve, Dave, Robin and everyone else!

Room Tip: All of them are beautifull and there are no bunk beds!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank SiriKnaevelsrud
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

The Palace is a great place to stay, lounge around & chill, or use as a base for the amazing attractions in the area. the rooms are gorgeous, the shared dorms and the private rooms. I've been back many times and always feel welcome by staff and a good assortment of guests alike.
The winning point of the Palace is that I met by gorgeous husband there! Best place, Best people, Best memories.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

I just want to stay for few days in the end I stayed more then 3 weeks...I had one of my best time here in the Palace, great atmosphere, lovely people around, comfortable beds, nice kitchen with free breakfast and lots more...I definately can recommend it :)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Bautzen, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

Well, as I said. I really thought about not writing something nice for this place, because i don´t want to get it overloaded by people.
I´ve stayed in this backpackers for over a month back in the Summer 09. As u are able to count, it has been over 3 years now and i´m still regularly thinking of this wonderful place, here half a earthball away. If you´re looking for the perfect 24/7-i´m your granny-service, well go to yha or whoever. But this one´s one for the heart. I´m still having contact with both of the receptionist back in the days. And they´ve seen quite some people over there. Most of my lasting contacts from New Zealand have i made at this place.
I´d could tell you every inch of good stuff. But i´m telling you just a few things. One of the best hostel balconies I´ve been on, coz of the view. Still thinking about these seperated houses nestled in between the trees and bushes, You´ll love the short ways. few minutes into the citycenter. Supermarket and pizzastore closeby. and the area around Nelson is stunning anyway...

so against my first thought: please visit these guys because i wanna come back one day, so i hope Dave is still able to run this place. You won´t regret it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo