“Unexpectedly good”

Ranked #8 of 196 Restaurants in Nelson
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Reviewed October 20, 2013

It's not always easy to pick a good place to eat when you're just passing through a town, so we were pleased to have been recommended to Ford's by someone we met in Picton. The meal was great - but it's high end, not fast food, so expect a delicious dinner but not cheap-and-cheerful.

1  Thank onthemoveagain2000

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Once again FORD'S have proven themselves to be "THE" place to dine out.
We always look for that little bit of "extra" when choosing a restaraunt for a special occassion and FORD'S keep topping the list.
A group of four of us were celebrating a special occassion and thoroughly ourselves with superb food and beverages to match, when in walked NZ's leading politician for a meal. What can you say about that! Obviously all the good people know where to dine in Nelson!

Reviewed October 8, 2013

We had a very tasty meal at Fords. The decor was nice and the service was excellent. The food was served in a timely manor and my steak was cooked perfectly. Would definitely be going again as I already have a mind to try some of the other dishes on the menu, especially the desserts!

Reviewed October 6, 2013

We had dinner here on a Saturday night. We went straight to the main - pork belly for wife, john dory for me. Fantastic! Who knew I liked radish? Even better though was dessert. I chose the special which was pina colada cheesecake - maybe the very best dessert I have ever had and I was contemplating ordering another when I overheard they had only one left so I thought I would let someone else enjoy it!
With a bottle of decent quality bottle of white wine, the 2 mains, a side, and desserts cost $NZ148 (about $US122 or 90 Euro) which was pretty good.
We went back for breakfast the next morning and my French brioche toast with bacon, bananas, fruit, and maple syrup was huge, not to mention very delicious.
For both visits service was top notch - very attentive and efficient.
Great to find such a high quality eating in a small town!
We sat upstairs which was a good option. Outdoor seating is available (quite a few were there for breakfast).

Reviewed September 21, 2013

We stumbled across this place pretty much accidentally but it was well worth it. The food was amazing - especially the house dish which seemed to match seafood in beef in a way you'd think wouldn't work - trust me, it does!

Towards the end, the place got a little busier and we had to wait a little longer than would've been ideal to pay the bill - but don't let that detract from this being a great place to go eat!