“Another reason to go to Nelson”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sachi Sushi & Seafood Bar - CLOSED

Sachi Sushi & Seafood Bar
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations, Seating
Dining options: Reservations, Seating
Melbourne
“Another reason to go to Nelson”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2011

Three of us went for dinner. We'd been to a cocktail reception, so we weren't very hungry. Or so we thought before we started to eat. We ordered the specials of the day (tataki of beef, and a prawn dish) as well as sashimi and a serving of agedashi tofu. The last was so good - served with eggplant - that we ordered two more servings. The staff are very welcoming and helpful, and I loved the flight of sake. Next time I'll try that. We drank wine from the mainly local list.

• Visited November 2011

Wellington
“Classy yet casual, authentic Japanese food fusion”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

Having lived in Japan in the past, I really enjoyed the feel of this Japanese restaurant. Simple, neat and comfortable surroundings. Seated at tables (not on the floor if you worry about that), our hosts were friendly and attentive. As often is the case for good quality Japanese food, it is not the cheapest type of restaurant, but I can say that no-one regretted paying the prices asked for the lovely food.
My husband is not big on eating raw fish, but found plenty on the menu to satisfy himself. I highly recommend the Unagi don (smoked eel on rice) and the sashimi platters - but it's all good.
If you want to bring your own cake for a special occasion, best to check ahead. Nelson restaurants seem to have a thing about charging you if you bring your own cake - which is not the case in other parts of New Zealand - it seems odd, but is not unreasonable when you think about it - since they provide plates etc and have to wash them for you.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank junismum
Los Angeles, California
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2011

I came to Sachi trying to not expect too much from a sushi restaurant in a small town. I usually go to high quality restaurants with Japanese chefs and have been spoiled by travels to Tsukiji market in Tokyo and authentic Japanese cuisine in LA. Sachi was excellent in all aspects- extremely fresh fish, clean and elegant decor, warm service by a Japanese chef and waitstaff. Prices seemed in line with the quality of the product. My only complaint was there were only 5 choices of fish to choose from for sashimi, but I assume they have to limit the varieties of fish they stock during the low season. The day I return to Nelson, I would revisit this restaurant without hesitation.

• Visited April 2011
1 Thank hanguolaohu
Whangaparaoa, New Zealand
“Really tasty Sushi!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2011

Ate here on our second night in Nelson and we were not disappointed. The sushi here would rival any restaurant in the world and I can highly recommend eating here. Service and attentiveness were excellent.

1 Thank 777pj777
Nelson
“Best Sushi and Sushimi in town!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2011

This was our third visit to Sachi and I have to say as good as any sushi bar anywhere! There was an excellent choice of fresh fish. Toshi, the chef, would have to have the equivalent of a 6th dan black belt in sushi making! Beautifully presented dishes. The tempura selection was excellent.

• Visited December 2010