“Best hostel we stayed in during our short trip”

and 1 more site!
Almond House Backpackers
Ranked #12 of 42 Specialty Lodging in Nelson
Melbourne, Australia
“Best hostel we stayed in during our short trip”
Reviewed January 14, 2012

This hostel was beautiful. We had just arrived from Franz Josef, where we stayed at Rainforest and had a horrid time.

The room was spotless, the beds were so comfortable that we didn't realise we were asleep until the morning. The hosts were amazing, even meeting us in front of the hostel when our bus arrived. I would recommend this hostel to everyone and with free internet, it made our top 5 hostels (believe me, we have been to a few as we have been travelling for 3 years)

The only concern we had was the amount of staff working there/long term guests that sort of made the atmosphere uncomfortable due to the click.

Room Tip: double bed room on the front of the hostel. Top of the stairs to the right.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 3yeartraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Oak Park, Illinois
Reviewed January 4, 2012

this place is gorgeous. felt like we were staying at a moderate hotel. my friend and i shared a private room with 2 twin beds. the rooms are clean, spacious. common areas are plentiful, clean, and offer nice balconies and view of the park across the street. bathrooms are fully equipped and very clean. lovely music playing throughout for good ambiance. very much enjoyed our two nights there!

Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
in transit
Reviewed July 9, 2011

I spent 2 nights at the beginning of my trip and I ended up staying another 2 nights at the end of my trip on the South Island.

It is a small hostel with a warm, cosy living room, and a good kitchen. I stayed in a share room (4 beds) and the beds were comfy, there was a walk in wardrobe for all the luggage and to hang clothes, there were enough plugs for everybody (you'll be surprised how many hostels have just 1 plug for an entire dorm room ) and reading lights. And oh, there's a lovely little cat who loves attention. If you have a car, there's parking spaces on site and also lots off street.

The bathrooms and kitchen were very clean. There is free wifi (yes, you read that right), a computer and a landline you can use to make cheap calls. They also offer free coffee and tea. The location is just a 5 minute walk from the town centre, which is great.

Fiona also arranged the shuttle from the airport to the hostel and my bus to Greymouth. All was impeccable, both Fiona and Paul were awesome hosts and I can highly recommend the Almond House.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank moonwire
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Almond house is a great antidote to the countless faceless, chain-run party hostels around NZ. We stayed here about a year ago but if it is run by the same family then I doubt it will have changed. As another reviewer has stated it does feel like you are staying in somebody’s home, but I found this to be a big positive rather than negative thing! Fiona was welcoming and took the time to show up a map of the area and recommend things to do. There was a nice communal atmosphere and we enjoyed a couple of great evenings sitting in the lovely garden area and sharing food with new friends.
I would definitely recommend Almond House to anybody looking to get away from the Kiwi-Experience crowd!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Thanks Fiona and Paul for your wonderful hospitality. This is a warm cosy and very clean backpackers. Only a 5 min walk to the town centre. Free WIFI tea and coffee, together with a nice warm fire made this a memorable stay for us. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Edmonton
Reviewed April 1, 2011

It was great until the last day when the owner was rude and short with me for waiting in the living room too long after I checked out. It was barely 12pm and no one else was there but after what was a more or less pleasant stay (minus the lack of toilet paper in the washrooms and the ant problem in the room...yuk) I was sad to have been treated with such blatant disregard. It was not necessary but I suppose everyone has a bad day day? I won't be returning to this place though.

• Stayed January 2011
3 Thank whereshegoes
Fiona_Lulham, Owner at Almond House Backpackers, responded to this review, April 6, 2011
In line with the majority of backpackers in New Zealand, we have a check out time of 10:00am. With prior arrangement, some guests may stay until 11:00am if they have not finished breakfast or have a later bus to catch. In this instance, I don't recall that any special arrangements to stay later were made. I'm sorry that this guest found my attitude in asking her to leave 2 hours after check out upsetting.

We do our utmost to maintain a clean and comfortable hostel. In all of our bathrooms, we provide extra toilet rolls in holders at the side of the toilets and these are refilled regularly throughout the day. Occasionally we have a guest who may not see our toilet roll holders.

We did have an instance this summer where we had ants in one bathroom, but they were quickly dealt with and to my knowledge this was the only occasion.

I'm sorry that you did not enjoy the end of your stay with us - although am pleased to note that the beginning of your stay was great!
nelson
Reviewed February 10, 2011

Small family-run and friendly backpackers away from all the party animals.
Two kitchens, spotlessly clean, garden area, hammocks and cat.
Close to the Sprig and Fern pub and the fish and chip shop-what more do you need?
5 minutes walk into Nelson and supermarket