“Consistently excellent”

Hopgoods
Ranked #1 of 171 Restaurants in Nelson
Cuisines: European, New Zealand
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Good honest local cuisine, served in a casual environment.
Nelson, Nelson, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Consistently excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I dined here recently with family and friends for a 30th. We had two in the party who had dietary issues and these were dealt with effortlessly. The whole experience was seamless, despite a very full and busy restaurant. Service was excellent, attentive but not overbearing. Food was excellent as always. Great wine list too which is something sorely lacking in many local restaurants.

• Korean first
Auckland, New Zealand
“Still impressing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

I don't generally re-review restaurants unless something has changed dramatically. However, I had to come back and review Hopgoods as I ate here again the other day and the meal was to die for. This would definitely be one of the best meals I've had in a long time. The beef carpaccio with crispy egg and truffle chips was just amazing. The chips were immense. I can still almost taste them now and just thinking about them makes me salivate. I had a fish main with gurnard, cauliflower cream, sauteed cauliflower and green beans - superb. The wine list as ever boasted an impressive selection of local wines so no-one would ever be disappointed. I just wished I came to Nelson more often. Not only is Hopgoods one of the best restaurants around but the shopping in Nelson is also fantastic (I bought 6 pairs of shoes)! Hopgoods should be congratulated in achieving a level of consistency that more expensive and upmarket restaurants can only dream of

London, United Kingdom
“Best Filet Steak”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

This is one of the best meals I have ever eaten. The fillet steak was superb and cooked to absolute perfection. The accompanying vegetables were also excellent. It starts with good quality grass fed beef and a creative chef. I usually stay away from red meat unless it is pasture raised. On the way out I complimented the waitress and asked if the chef was the owner. Mr Hopgood is indeed the chef. Quite good value considering this is one of the top restaurants in New Zealand.

• Visited March 2013
new zealand
“Always great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

What a wonderful meal. As always the food and service were first class. The menu changes frequently. A beer list of a a hrea selection of Nelson craft beers was a welcome addition since my last visit.

Nelson, Nelson, New Zealand
“Consistently good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

I'm ashamed to say that we haven't been to our own city's most applauded restaurant for a couple of years until we got back there last night. And we are pleased to report that what made Hopgoods special then is what still makes Hopgood special. Unobtrusive service, quality produce, beautiful flavours and complete consistency are still the standards. You can choose Hopgoods for an occasion and know that you will get the meal you had hoped for, no surprises, no disappointments.The menu changes to suit the seasons but some signature dishes remain ... crispy duck salad, for instance, for the likes of me who had it last time and was happy to see it still there. It's a popular and busy venue, probably not the first choice for a hushed dinner for two, but we had a great time and the waitresses made certain our twosome wasn't lost as another 20 or so arrived. Compliments to Kevin Hopgood and his team, Form is fleeting but class is permanent!