“Perfect!!!!!”

The Bug Backpackers
Ranked #5 of 43 Specialty Lodging in Nelson
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

We had an amazing stay at bug! Not only did the owners go out of their way to provide free transport to and from the centre when you were leaving/arriving, but they also made you feel at so home! The hostel itself was so lovely (the garden was gorg) and clean and the kitchen was THE BEST. The free bikes were also such a bonus and made Nelson such a fun place to be in. BEST HOSTEL WE HAVE STAYED IN!

• Stayed: March 2014

Reviewed March 26, 2014

We spent two nights at the Bug while travelling to Abel Tasman. The staff running the place have a great personality and were very helpful with recommendations, as well as holding our bags for the night we were in the park, even though we weren't staying at the Bug.

We typically do not stay at hostels or backpacker places, but we got the private room and it was well apportioned for the price, private bathroom, comfortable bed and uniquely decorated room. The location is a 15 minute walk from town, however our outfitter in the park had no problem finding it to pick us up.

Give the limited range of reasonably priced options in Nelson, I would highly recommend The Bug!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We stayed here in mid-March and loved it. We had booked a double ensuite room, but we were upgraded to the studio apartment. A lovely surprise! The bathroom in the studio is huge, there is a shower AND a bathtub. After months of traveling, a bathtub is uber luxurious! The kitchen is well stocked (they even provide oil) and everything was very clean. There is also a TV in the room, but we didn't really use it. The price of the studio is only about $20 more than the ensuite, so if you are looking for some peace and quiet away from other backpackers, I highly recommend paying for it. There is also free UNLIMITED wifi, and it is quite fast. There is also off street and on street parking, plenty of space for everyone. We only got a quick peek at the rest of the backpackers, but it looked very clean, and everyone there was quite friendly. There is also a foosball table and free bikes. The hostel overall was quiet, and they do not tolerate loud, rambunctious drinking, which is exactly what we were looking for.

We also walked into downtown Nelson, which takes between 15-20 minutes. Not very long, and a very flat walk. There is also two supermarkets within 15 minutes walk. Though we didn't use it, they offer free rides into town and free pickups.

Highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Studio apartment is worth the money. Just go for it!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2014

We got the two private room which was nice in size and had its own sink. It backs up to the patio so noisy guests will be an issue. We had some folks decide it was karaoke night at around 11pm to midnight singing Adele at the top of their longs, not polite. Overall pretty clean, but other guests were a bit messy. Small square footage for amount of people. Small kitchen, only one fridge for many people, indoor lounge area small. Internet went in and out in our room frequently. Had to move to main lounge, but they like to keep it "social" and not have people on their devices which I sort of understand if that is the environment you're trying to create. But, we are in a technology world and your wifi isn't strong in the rooms. Fresh bread in the morning was nice, free coffee and tea too. Just a bit cramped overall. And I can't say that it was bed bug bites that I have for sure, but I did we sketch up itching and have bites all over. Might have been from the sand flys at the beach up north, but I wasn't itching the day before and I'm afraid it was bed bugs. It happens, but isn't fun to deal with.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
thebug226, Owner at The Bug Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Hi we are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay here with us at the bug,we pride ourselves in ensuring our guests have the best experience while staying at our hostel. I would just like to respond to a few of your comments, fridges, our hostel has three large fridge freezers in our main house,two located in the kitchen next to each other, and one located in the laundry where we ask all guests to place their drinks.internet we only ask guests to refrain from watching movies in our social area as we try to encourage guests to share their experiences while engaging in conversation. we endevour to maintain a high standard in our kitchens,but as you can fully understand we are not able to be on site 24hrs a day and guests are responsible of clearing away their own mess. We are not a party hostel and have a noise curfew as we are located in a residential street, We are very sorry to hear of your bites ,we have a strict weekly pest control regime in place and all our beds are encased in protective mattress protectors, i would be very surprised if you received bites in our hostel , sandflies have very nasty irritating bites which can last days.

Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

Thank you so much guys, this place is so welcoming, modern and friendly just the perfect combination for travelling alone or with friends. Owners couldn't do more to help. Well recommended! Nelson it self is also a great place to come and explore! Thanks again. Adam (Dorset, UK)

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 4, 2014

First things first, it is a bit of a walk to get to from downtown, its about 20-25 minutes to the i-Site but it seems longer with your backpack. They will however happily pick you up and drop you off from//to town so fear not if you are not one for walking.

I stayed a night when I first arrived before heading into Abel Tasman the following morning. I was put in the London room (even being on the other side of the world, I still cant escape London!), which had only three single beds (not bunks) which was a result, a seriously good nights sleep. When I returned, I stayed in the large dorm room, which was still pretty comfy, even though I was in a top bunk, which I try to avoid. Plenty of space and a shelf to put your phone for the early morning alarm (the little things are nice).

All of the facilities are clean and well organized and they serve fresh bread in the mornings although you need to get in early as it goes pretty quick. The communal area is like a typical living room, not huge but set up to create a good social atmosphere and both nights I stayed after returning from Abel Tasman I enjoyed with the other guests. Not really a place to party however (for those that want that), I am sure Paradiso would fit the bill for that (just be warned...it was pretty crazy when I visited).

And that's that, The Bug should definitely be considered for your stay in Nelson, I would happily go back. Enjoy Nelson and Abel Tasman should you be using the town as a hub. Any questions, let me know.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank randallml
Reviewed February 19, 2014

This is a great little hostel in a good location. It has a home-like atmosphere. The room size is adequate with comfortable beds. Each bed has a wall socket and two small shelves on which to place your things. The kitchen area is spacious and clean. There is a comfortable outside garden area for socializing. There is even free, fresh-baked bread every morning! The bathrooms were clean. Only two things missing: 1) A shelf or basket on the wall in the shower for your shampoo/soap, so that you do not have to put it on the floor, and 2) maybe an extra hook in the bathroom. Yes, it seems trivial, but these little things really do make a difference (to me). Very friendly and helpful staff as well. Overall a great stay!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends