Highway House Oamaru
Alpine Motel(Oamaru)
Avenue Motel(Oamaru)
Northstar(Oamaru)
View Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I'm going to keep this review short -- this is a perfect B&B experience just off the main road in Oamaru.

- Friendly, charming and informative owners
- Delicious home-cooked breakfasts. Ours included homemade yogurt and bread, piles of fresh fruits including raspberries, rhubarb and preserved peaches, and the option of a hot English breakfast as well.
- Perfectly maintained home with 3 charming guest rooms
- Unlimited wifi and easy parking

I don't know what more you could ask for in a B&B.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ianbnet
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We spent a night here on our way up the East Coast and must say that it lived up to the reviews. We stayed in the Mahogany Room with the perfectly designed ensuite bathroom. Norman and Stephanie had the entire house remodeled prior to turning it into a B&B and they clearly thought of everything. Norman provided us with maps and brochures of all the sights to see in town and cooked us a terrific breakfast in the morning consisting of eggs, bacon, sausage, tomato, hashbrown, and toast in addition to homemade yoghurt, fresh strawberries from the garden and canned fruits, cereals, jams, and homemade bread. It was all delicious and they are excellent hosts and the grounds are beautiful. We wished we could have stayed there for more nights.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BubdiBub
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed at 16 places in 31 days during our South Island trip in Sep/Oct 2012. Norman & Stephanie's Highway House was the best B&B for the money (we stayed at another B&B in Cardrona that was probably nicer in terms of amenities, but it also cost far more). I'd give it 6/5 in the "Value" category if I could. The breakfasts alone were probably worth what Norman charged. Honestly don't know if I've had a better breakfast at any B&B in the world. Norman's not a trained chef, but if he told me he'd been one for the past 40 years at a 5* joint, I'd have believed him. We arrived late at night with a 1- and 6-year-old. They were treated like grandchildren, especially by Stephanie, who came out from nearly being asleep and spent at least an hour making us comfortable. Probably the 2nd best aspect of our stay was how Norman & Stephanie have thought of everything for your stay. Anything you need, they have. And if they don't, they'll help you find it. Another major bonus is that Norman is an incredible source of information for the area. As for the area, there's a lot more to Oamaru than we knew, and we left bummed that we didn't stay longer. We only stayed for one night. We wished we'd stay at least 2 nights, maybe three. We did the Blue Penguins, the Whitestone Cheese Factory, & Moeraki Boulders, but there was a lot that we missed. Feel free to message me if you want more ideas, or, better yet, ask Norman. He'll respond quickly. Promise you won't regret staying here. Leave time to just chill at the actual B&B, as he has great grounds, including stuff for kids. I was a little worried when I booked it that it'd be loud because it's on the main road. Not the case. Oamaru isn't that busy in the first place, and everything is set back far enough and the walls/windows, etc., are thick enough that we didn't hear a thing.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank wephillips
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Oamaru is a wonderful, Victorian little town and the B&B is Victorian itself, and made out of limestone. My husband and I stayed for one night and this was a wonderful stay and the location is excellent. Although the B&B is on the corner of a main street and a side street, once inside, we couldn't hear any traffic noise. The hosts, Stephanie and Norman, were both very knowledgeable of the area and very helpful. My husband enjoys architecture and Norman was able to provide us with a brochure and map of what to see in Oamaru for architecture, as well as recommended the Botanic Gardens, which were definitely worth a visit. The room, itself was large and very clean and comfortable. There was lotion left on the side table near the bed, as well as chocolates and little cakes, tea, etc in the hall. We had a very good nights sleep and breakfast the following morning was nothing short of amazing. There was alot of attention to detail, from the salt and pepper shakers that were in the figuerines of little lambs, to the coffee being served in silver cups. It was a large, English breakfast, with warm, homemade breads, fruits, yogart, and a cooked breakfast of eggs, bacon and tomato. My husband and I also collect hummels and noted the hummel collection that they had in their home. I would definitely recommend this bed and breakfast-you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JMO-CT
Reviewed February 18, 2012

If it shoul rain in Oamaru or you may have fever - doesn't matter, you will love to stay a day in your cosy bedroom! So very nice Hosts - Stephanie and Norman - will take care for you, they serve an absolut wonder- and "fruitful" breakfast, and everything is made with heart, if it's the morning coffee oder the little choclate on your pillow or the little giveaway, when you leave. A very cultivated couple, with best tipps for your stay at Oamaru, and classical music for your morningtea! There ist just one thing: you should be an early bird, because you might hear the nearby main street in the morning, if you lieke to sleep with open window. But besides this, you will have sweet dreams!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo