Alpine Motel
$104
$97
$81
$78
Bella Vista Motel Oamaru(Oamaru)(Great Value!)
$88
$100
$85
$80
Priceline
$94
$91
The Mill House(Oamaru)(Great Value!)
$75
$73
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsthe main roadmy elderly motherfull kitchenone nightnice roomsingle bedstayed herewarm welcomecomfortable bedblue penguinsmicrowavemotelbedroomtowninternetupstairshost
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Had a very Good stay for one night. Very near to shops. Friendly staff. Very clean and tidy. I would highly recommend to anyone who wants to stay in oamaru. Will definitely stay again. We enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
dianeray, Owner at Alpine Motel, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Thank you for your kind word. Glad you enjoyed your stay and the chance to experience Oamaru.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

The woman who ran the place was very rude to us. The place was fine - clean, had a kitchenette, etc, but it was nothing special and our experience was spoiled by our interactions with the manager. In 1 month of traveling NZ, we had nothing but super friendly and nice interactions- with the exception of this one!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
dianeray, Owner at Alpine Motel, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2013

Sorry but you CHOOSE to stay with us and you CHOOSE to do washing and OVERLOAD our drier and BREAK it.. !!!
Not wanting to pay for either the washing or repairs.After being in an Escape Camper van for a month.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

Exhausted from a long day on the road we stayed one night at this motel.

We did laundry, and overloaded the dryer with too many clothes as reported by woman at the front counter. (Definitely our fault) This caused the dryer to stop working, presumably either the breaker blew, belt broke or electric motor failed, personally I believe most likely the breaker opened due to overload.

Woman came to our room around 9-10pm and used profanity to exclaim to my wife that we had broken her dryer.

Upon checking out I paid $100 NZ dollars for the room, $50 NZ dollars for an electrician to come look at the dryer, and $15 NZ dollars to do two loads of wash and have those clothes dried and left partially on a bench outside our room, and partially on the ground in a heap. In addition to paying a total of $165 NZ Cash I apologized to the woman for overloading her dryer.

Upon checking out the woman at the front counter said she was in a bad mood because she caught people using drugs on her property again. (I am unsure if the drug use was at this motel or another property, regardless if you have kids with you or value a safe family friendly environment I would not recommend this motel.)

Prior to paying I offered to look at the dryer as I wired my own home and know a little about electrical systems, she refused and said she would still have to call an electrician. I never personally looked at the machine or even entered the laundry room, my wife says that the dryer was very old and seemed to be on its last legs.

The room we stayed in was clean, had WIFI and a small kitchen area. The road noise was pretty bad as our room faced the road, this Motel is definitely within walking distance of the main street in Oamaru. Because of the lack of professionalism, the use of profanity to my wife, paying what I think was an exorbitant amount for overloading the dryer, having some of our clean clothes put on the ground, and extremely poor treatment from the woman at the front counter I would not recommend staying at this motel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
dianeray, Owner at Alpine Motel, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2013

This couple seems to omit he had been travelling round NZ in a small Escape camper van.

They had checked the room and agreed on the price, signed our rego form to claim for any damages incurred. `Black & White'.

Doing 2 full loads of washing and putting all in 1 drier?????ask yourself. The drier had just been serviced and checked. Service call for a electrican is $60,damages cost us $100.I think we are out of pocket.

My husband commented the drier had stopped and was smoking!!! Hence trip to explain what happened to the guests(.I admit I did use a swear adjective to what she did to the our drier,but that was it.)We still dried their clothes in another drier over 2 1/2 hours. The clothes were placed on the bench in the morning when dry, as I do with all guests. (Sorry I don't normally fold guests laundry).So asking for the cost of the washing was not selfish of us..

They were in no hurry to leave the next morning, past 10 checkout.

As for the drug incident .Totally Nothing to do with the motel. Yet he seems to want people to think so.
It was dealt with in the correct manner and guests blacklisted.

As a tripadvisor user I would of thought these guests may had looked at previous reviews and if unsure asked.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

The room was very clean, in good location, and it had a full kitchen with microwave, fridge, pots and pans, stove, etc. It saved us the time and $ to have to go out for breakfast. In addition, the person who checked us in was friendly, informative, and gave us an extra container of milk when I asked. The only reason I am not giving 5 stars is because the Internet did not work.

• Stayed: December 2013

Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Stayed here for one night. Good motel, clean and tidy, with reasonably large rooms and 15 minutes walk into town. Free wifi which worked OK. Friendly and helpful host.
As we had already visited penguins in Dunedin, we should have driven further rather than spending one of our precious nights in Oamaru. Although the town is interesting enough, unless you want to stop for the penguins, this would make a good lunch stop rather than overnight.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. Night life in Oamaru is very limited to the penguins,but these cant be viewed as well during the day. But our Buildings are!!