“One of the best!”

Cuisines: European, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 4, 2012

This restaurant has a chef who is winning awards! We wanted to try and sat down to lunch in an almost deserted restaurant. It was Sunday and so much was going on in other places in Oamaru. John chose a pan fried steak with mushroom sauce and my choice was rare steak on ciabatta. The chips were hand cut and so crisp and flavoursome! Salad was fresh and exotic lettuce used. John's steak ordered rare, was so and so tender, he didn't need a steak knife! That is so rare! My steak was thinly sliced and a melt in the mouth experience. Ciabatta was lightly toasted which it should be and the caramelised onions were absolutely divine! We ordered a side salad of, cabbage, walnut and apple. This was good enough to come back just especially for that dish! Crisp, lots of half walnuts and red cabbage with a sharp mayonnaise to tie it all together. The house wine was the best and local which is so good.

There are newer reviews for Northstar Restaurant

Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

We love the place and to think you can cater for kids as my kids love the games room. Lovely staff who care about there customers. Food is fantastic. Well done northstar.

1  Thank girlmetboy
Reviewed April 9, 2012

For such a plain looking building the interior is very classy- outside is dull and doesn't do the food or service justice. The food is delightful I had the Pork which I wasn't sure about ordering but was so glad I did, enjoyed every mouthful! Cheery, accommodating staff who brought me that days paper while I waited for my meal as I was dining alone. Wouldn't hesitate to go back!

1  Thank MrTaster_12
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Food was excellent, service was good, A hidden gem.

Reviewed March 12, 2012

It's been done up nicely. Quite a good pub and the food is pretty good. I've had better food so it doesn't quite rate at the top of my list but I go here for a beer every Friday.