“Best butter chicken ever!”

Indian Kitchen Oamaru
Ranked #16 of 60 Restaurants in Oamaru
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Oamaru, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best butter chicken ever!”
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

The Indian kitchen is by far the best Indian in oamaru! There butter chicken is all I ever get as its the best I've ever tasted. It's a very generous portion which is great because you can take the leftovers home if you need. It may not be the nicest looking restaurant but after eating there you always end up going back! The service is always excellent also and the staff always welcome you with a big smile.

Oamaru, New Zealand
“Indian Kitchen a must do”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Fantastic Indian, all dishes can be prepared either mild, medium, hot or very hot. The dishes have lots of meat and not just sauce and if you live in Oamaru they deliver for orders over $30.00!!
Recommend this one.

Visited November 2013
Katoomba, Australia
“Good spot for good food”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Along the rather bland stretch of highway heading north out of Oamaru is this little gem of an Indian restaurant. The décor is not modern but the food is delicious and the servings are generous. After a long day of travel, we were very glad we skipped on past the fried food take away shops just near our motel and walked on for a few more minutes to discover the Indian Kitchen. We are not "foodies" but do appreciate good food and this really hit the spot. Along with the friendly service and the "kid's platters" we were very satisfied with our dining experience.

• Visited October 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“amazing”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

one of the best curry I have ever had in new Zealand. recommended by the hotel I was staying in, great service, nice interior and great food. recommend everyone to take-away or dine-in.

• Visited May 2013
Christchurch, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Honesty in Food Ingredient Disclosure Is Important”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I don't eat sugar. On the past occasions I've bought food from or at this restaurant (I've bought food there three times, in total), I asked if the meal I was ordering contained any sugar.

I was categorically assured by the person behind the counter (who checked with the chef) that the meal I was ordering didn't. On getting the takeaway home, I had my doubts.

I visited the restaurant again, with my partner, for a sit-down meal yesterday. I ordered the same meal as the takeaway visit, and another. When they arrived and we tucked into them, I was absolutely sure they both contained sugar. I asked the chef/restaurant owner when he came to our table, if this was the case. He told me categorically that they did NOT contain sugar.

When he came around again later, I told him I was absolutely certain they did - and so he sure that none of the ingrediients contained sugar? It was only then that he admitted both dishes (including the earlier no-sugar-guaranteed takeaway) actually DID contain sugar: "Just a little bit," he said.

In other words, he lied. He served me up something I told him I don't want to eat, and lied about it - until I put him on the spot.

It's actually dangerous for a restaurant to do this. Their dishonesty could, in some cases, have grave consequences for a diner, depending upon the ingredient in question, and the diner's reason for wanting or needing to avoid it.

• Visited May 2013