“Very comfortable, simple, great location, nice hosts”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Holmes Hill Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oamaru
Holmes Hill Motel
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Oamaru
HKG and San Francisco, Calif.
“Very comfortable, simple, great location, nice hosts”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

We'd tried to get a room in the Historic District, but there was a convention in this little town, a gathering of bowlers, so the i-Site lined us up our room at the Holmes Hill Motel. What a delightful surprise! The price was right, the beds were comfy, and though we were right on the main road to Dunedin, the way the motel is situated, we had little to no traffic noise. There's a lovely deck out back with views over the valley, which was very nice for an afternoon glass of wine. The room was spacious enough that we weren't all over each other, even with all our suitcases open, plus there was enough of a kitchen in the way of mini-fridge, etc., that if we bought a few items, we could manage breakfast or lunch in the room, if so inclined. After returning to Hong Kong two days hence, I realized I'd left my iPad charger and universal adapter behind somewhere by accident. When I phoned about it, yes, they had it, and had been expecting my call. They were kind enough to post it to me, and saved me the the not-inconsiderable expense of replacing both. This is a better result than I had when I made a similar error some years ago with a 5-star hotel! Such personal and attentive service (or lack thereof) can make or break a holiday, and I'm happy to report that my experience with the Holmes Hill Motel only makes me want to come back and explore Oamaru in greater depth. There's much more to see than I could manage in just two days, and now I know exactly where to stay when I can manage a return visit.

Room Tip: One of the back rooms, opening onto the deck with a view of the valley beyond.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank LemmonHerk

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

Will stay there everytime I drive through Oamaru! As said lovely couple run this place, made my stay that much better

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Nsanderson1988
New Plymouth, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2011

Really enjoyed our stay here, very comfortable unit. Friendly folk. Fantastic sunsets.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Arnhem, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2011

We booked a studio for only NZD 85 and got a free upgrade. The 1-bedroom unit was excellent. Lots of space, nice kitchen and bathroom with separate toilet. The owner is very friendly and gives all the information you want. Go see the yellow eyed pinguins and the blue pinguin collony. Very nice.
The units are just away from the street, so it's nice and no traffic noise. We had a wonderfull stay. Value for money. If we ever go again we stay there!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2010

Free wireless. I was at the quiet end of the building, very pleasant. Firm mattress. Recycling bins provided. Nice hosts. No sink in the small kitchenette, but plastic tub provided.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo