“Five star”

Northstar
Northstar
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Oamaru
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I travel all over the country but have never stayed in Oamaru, but on our recent family Easter trip to Dunedin we got stuck here because of the floods so we booked into the Northstar motel on the recommendation of the staff at Steam punk.
This has been the best accommodation experience that I have ever had, amazing staff, great food and nice clean modern rooms. We will stay here again and won't be doing the drive straight through from Christchurch to Dunedin again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank David J

Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

Recently on a work trip to oamaru, I stayed at this place being in oamaru I didn't expect much however I was very surprised. The rooms were very spacious and very clean I love the the shower excellent pressure. The bed had to be the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on For tea I ate the in house restaurant the food was simply amazing every meal I had was perfectly cooked and quite filling I would most definitely stay there again. The staff are super friendly and helpful they go out of there way to help you with anything as for the cost im not sure because my work paid for everything but I have heard that its quite reasonable whatever the cost the stay here is worth every dollar well done to the northstar motel in oamaru 10 out of 10.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 17, 2014

My two children and I were thrilled with our unit at NorthStar Motel. It was spacious, clean, very comfortable and the shower was to die for! Bathroom area was large. Separate toilet, shower and handbasin/dressing areas. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Getting our clothes washed and dried was no problem at all. We were travel weary so didn’t take advantage of the restaurant, cooked in our room instead - plenty of equipment for our needs. But I did enjoy a cider which they were happy for me to take to my room. Unlimited cable internet available in our room for $5 or free wifi in bar.
We will be returning if we come back through Oamaru.

Room Tip: Our room was downstairs at the far end from the office and bar/restaurant so we had no noisy neighbo...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 21, 2014

As we were purchasing a property in Oamaru, we needed somewhere to stay,and found this place as we were coming into Oamaru, Got a good shock as to the size of the room we were in. lots of room to move around, and very clean. Only 3 mins to town center. Had dinner in their Restaurant but thought it was a bit pricey, other wise very nice stay, by the way we came back for another stay a month later.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

This is the second time in two years we have stayed, this time with teenagers. I worried they may not like the restaurant but how wrong was I. The bar service was very efficient, the choice of nz wines was excellent. The menu had something for all of us. The waiting staff were very good and knowledgable on the menu. We were not looking for a bistro meal, this cuisine was fresh and delicious
The rooms are large, all super king beds which can be separated to two king singles. Even getting two rooms was only slightly dearer than a two bedrooms motel with the advantage of two showers. Clean, plunger. Coffee what more could you want. Fantastic southern hospitality. Thank you

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I overnighted in Oamaru at the Northstar to break up a trip south. Reception on arrival was friendly and welcoming. The room itself was spacious (including the large bathroom/shower and kitchen areas) and the bed was super comfy (and enormous!). Everything was spotlessly clean. The location is at the far north end of Oamaru, but it's only a 5 min drive into the town centre. As well as the restaurant on site there are numerous takeaway options and a supermarket close by. Only quibble was the lack of wifi, but for one night it wasn't an issue.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Tamora_12
Reviewed January 5, 2014

This was our first proper night in New Zealand and we couldn't have asked for a better motel experience. Shirley at reception was super helpful and what she can't tell you about Oamaru isn't worth knowing. The room we had was large and, honestly, the cleanest motel room we have ever stayed in. The kitchen facilities provided everything we needed to cook ourselves a quick dinner. Although it is a little way from the centre of town, I would highly recommend the Northstar.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family