“A tranquil haven”

Tree of Life Resort & Spa Jaipur
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Kookas
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We arrived late so we were not able to enjoy the gardens, which are beautifully landscaped. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I just wish we had an extra day. The staff were polite, and the service in the restaurant was good.The food was delicious, and some of the décor items quirky. I particularly loved the giraffe on the table in the restaurant, filled with flowers. I would have loved to have bought one to take home with me!

After the hustle and bustle of sightseeing and driving in Rajasthan it was a wonderful haven of peace and tranquillity.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
treeoflifejaipur, Owner at Tree of Life Resort & Spa Jaipur, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

Delighted to read that you had a short but enjoyable stay with us.

Yes, I do agree with you that one does need at least two full nights to be able to enjoy all that the Resort offers. I also appreciate your noticing the 'quirky' items we have all over. We spent a lot of time and effort custom making items just for the Resort.

I do hope that you will make it back to us for a more relaxed sojourn with us.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Based on the reviews Tree of Life seemed to be a good choice. Traveling with two children and having trouble reserving connecting rooms or suites elsewhere, we were thankful when they responded that they could accommodate us. However we had not expected the extraordinary personalized attention and the beautiful, calm, private setting.

The downside is clearly the rocky dirt road you must travel for 7 km between the hotel and the main road. After taking in the landscape along that road once or twice that trip can become tedious, and it would be a good thing if someone paved it. And once you get to the main road there is still another 15-20 minutes of driving to get to sightseeing and shopping destinations. If you want to be in the heart of the city, this is not the right place for you. That's it for downsides.

We felt completely relaxed and very welcome from the moment we arrived, greeted by name, immediately escorted through the lovely grounds to our villa. We had not expected our accommodation to be so spacious, and were pleased that adding beds for our children had almost zero impact on the large living room. The villas are decorated in a tasteful, elegant manner, and are surrounded by a gentle landscape and complete quiet. The view was nice from every window, and the enormous bath room looked like it belonged in a palace. There was much thoughtful attention to detail throughout (including a choice of 4 different types of pillows!) and staff were very eager to please.

We had breakfast daily and dinner once (only because of pre-scheduled dinners out the other two nights) -- the food was delicious, creative, and beautifully presented, and the service very attentive and courteous. I did not think the price was unreasonable considering the quality of the food and presentation, and what it would cost anywhere else.

We enjoyed the luxuries of the private outdoor shower and the massage tables where we could take a sunbath in our little private garden. We really felt we were alone in the middle of nowhere - hearing only birds chirping in the mornings, and gazing at starry skies at night with no city lights to corrupt the view -- kind of like camping in the lap of luxury, just what we needed after spending time in crowded, chaotic Delhi.

Although this is a supremely romantic setting for a couple, it was great for our family as well. Our children loved having the private garden as well as exploring the rest of the grounds, and we all appreciated the gracious welcome and kind attention of the staff. This was one of the most special experiences we have had in our many travels in Europe and Asia over the years, and we will definitely recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
treeoflifejaipur, Owner at Tree of Life Resort & Spa Jaipur, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Dear Guest,

Reviews like yours make all my effort of the last years in building and operating the Tree of Life so much more worth-while. It gives me immense personal satisfaction to read that my team delivered exceptional high quality to you, as is their endeavour with all our guests and I do appreciate your taking the time to go into such detail.

Yes, we are 6 kms away from the high way and a very small portion of the road is not paved. We are unfortunately not allowed to pave the road, as I would have otherwise done this a long time back. The matter is with the Government Department for 3 years now and I live in hope that one day they will make a move !

Thank you also for rating the Tree of Life as one of the most special experiences that you have had in your many travels in Europe and Asia over the years and for recommending us to your friends. If travel ever brings you back to Jaipur, we do hope you will be with us again.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

If you enjoy being close the hustle and bustle of a city, the Tree of Life is not your place. However if you would like to experience being a stones throw away from history and lap up the sounds and smells of nature in a village, then this is your one stop shop! The Tree of Life offers you the luxury of nature in its purest form. With villas opening out into the lush green and the indoors taking you into the warmth of Rajasthan colors with its regal ambiance...this is a perfect blend of the past with the present. Rooms are modern and yet retain a class of the past. The chefs are excellent and the meals are great - whether it's Rajasthani, Italian or Eurpoean! What's even more credible is the social objective being served by the owners.We enjoyed our stay here The best part of Japipur is Amber Fort and Tree of Life provides the experience of getting there early without too much travel and getting to be the first in line for the Elephant Rides !!Shopping is only about 45 minutes away as are the the other tourist spots in the city as you drive through the village. Great place, Great Hospitality, Great Food!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
treeoflifejaipur, Owner at Tree of Life Resort & Spa Jaipur, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure having all of you with us at the Tree of Life recently and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others.

Yes, as you have mentioned, we are conveniently located away from the noise and crowds of the city and yet close enough to the main sights and offer a calm and serene ambience which city hotels cannot. Further, for us, the village folks who are our immediate neighbours and have built the Resort, play an important role in all that we do and various initiatives involving them have been started by us.

Thank you also for your kind words about our Villa, the staff and the cuisine, which I will share with the team members.

We do look forward to having you back with us.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed as a group in five villas for two nights. This is very special place with staff who care and want you to have a great holiday experience. The first thing is the location - it is set in the rural countryside - so it is peaceful and relaxing. The villas are beautiful being so well appointed and set up with modern decor and finishings. The staff provide a high level of service with the little touches that make a stay memorable - they organised an outdoor fire for our evening drinks which really provided a wonderful experience. The food is a real highlight - the chef prepares a four-course meal in western and indian cuisine for dinner, but he will also prepare smaller meals or whatever you desire. We really enjoyed this place - it is different to your standard hotel which makes it special - also they care about the community and village in which they live and work. A real treat!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank john555

Dear Guest,

I am so glad to read that you have a very enjoyable stay with us. Your kind words about the resort, our style of service and cuisine are much appreciated and I thank you for sharing the same with other travelers.

Yes, we have had a rather cold spell this winter and it is good to read that you enjoyed the outdoor fire organised specially for you.

The villagers in our surrounding mean a lot to us and it is my constant endeavour to involve them as much as possible in all that we do.

I do look forward to having you all back again at the Tree of Life, should you return to Jaipur.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Writing a review for this hotel is quite difficult. I am very used to 5* luxury properties and thought this was what we would get with the Tree of Life. Upon arrival, I was disappointed in what I considered well below a 5 star hotel. However, the Tree of Life grew on me. The grounds are beautiful and our room large, but lacking in the small details of a 5 * hotel. Granted, there are robes, slippers, water, but it just does not approach the opulence of a higher hotel. However, what it does offer is serenity and a bit of a different twist. The positives of this hotel is that it offers a lot of room in the suite. It would be great for families as the TV has a lot of channels (more so than most 5* hotels) and ample space in the room. The chef comes to your room each night to take your order and the food is served fresh and in a prompt manner at your appointed time in the dining room. The chef is superb – making some of the best food in India that we tasted. The service is excellent in the dining room and we ( foodies) were most impressed. It is well worth it to just go with the meal that the chef has planned each day. We ordered off the menu a couple of times and it was more expensive. I would dare say that the menu prepared by the chef uses fresh local ingredients (and he likes to buy fresh on the day of preparation) and is absolutely incredible food. This chef is one to be watched. I predict he will be famous one day. The hotel offers a small welcome bracelet and a massage upon arrival (a nice departure from the welcome procedure at most hotels). The hotel is quite far from Jaipur, and in a rural area, accessible by dirt road. However, it is quite an experience to travel on this road and see the local sites, including local people and goats along the way. We saw several wild peacocks as well. I can safely say that this hotel is deserving of a solid 3.75 to 4 * rating. I think it could push up to a 5* if there were more ornate furnishings in the room. The sofa, desk and dining table are all modest, as are the floor carpets. If the hotel upgraded to Persian rugs, and better furniture as well as make hotel services (spa, etc) more of a destination spot, then I think it could eek up to 5*. I came away from the Tree of Life liking it much more than when I first checked in. But if you are like me and prefer only 5* and up, luxury properties, the Tree of Life is not that. However, I was charmed and came to very much appreciate the modest luxury and warmth of the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank gourmetwashington
treeoflifejaipur, Owner at Tree of Life Resort & Spa Jaipur, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

With someone who is as well traveled as you are and has written so many reviews, I did go over your this review a number of times, to absorb all that you have so nicely written and then co-relate it to my own thought process.

First – thank you ever so much for your very kind words about the spacious Villa, the interaction with the Chef Santosh and the extra ordinary cuisine that he created for you. I am sure he has already read your review, but I will certainly share the same with him. The location of the resort is another of my personal decisions – to be away from the crowd and noise of the city and still be close enough. We are 20 minutes from Amber Fort and 30 minutes from the City Palace / Palace of Winds – a short distance, given all the space and privacy that the Tree of Life offers.

I agree with you. If the yard-sticks of a 5 star grading are Persian rugs, very ornate furniture and a lot more opulence, as stated by you - we would not fit in there. However I do believe that resorts like mine must challenge the traditional star rating criteria followed by 5 star hotels today. I do believe that the world has moved on and while ‘hard ware’ cannot be ignored, resorts are now being graded and frequented by guests for so much more than just glitz and glamour.

When I conceptualized the Tree of Life some 6 years back, I followed one word all the way through – ‘grounded’. It was built in lime and stone with hardly any use of cement, bricks and steel. The construction style and material was the way our forts, palaces and homes were built over a century ago. What also gave me great satisfaction was that it was built by 100 odd villagers from within one kilometer of the resort and we that we were able to contribute very positively to their lifestyle. Some 15 of them have been trained since and are now employed by us. I also never let go of the fact that we were not in the city but in a semi-rural, calm and serene surrounding and it was my desire to blend gently with what is around me. It is for this reason that you will find us under-stated all the way through and yet very attentive and caring – as you have yourself pointed out.

In conclusion, I am so glad that the Tree of Life did ‘grow’ on you in the course of the days that you spent with us. I will nevertheless, keep your valuable observations in mind and see how I can blend them with my own beliefs and aspirations.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Our stay in this boutique resort was the best in India and we simply loved the personalized service we received throughout our stay. First of all, if you are planning to spend only one day / night in Jaipur, do not choose this hotel. It is located a good 30 to 40 minutes from the city centre and you won't be able to enjoy the serenity of the place if only for short period of time.

We arrived at night from Agra and after a long and tiring road trip. We started getting worried when the road became smaller and smaller. At one point our driver wanted to turn back and I had to convince him to continue. We arrived shortly after and were just plainly impressed by the space, style and ambiance of the place. This is a great place to relax and service is top notch. Guest services helped us organize dinner, tours around the city and answered any of our questions.

We were then taken to our villa, the entry level one which was simply fantastic and very spacious. There is a living room combined with dining room, the bedroom with large bed, and large bathroom with separate bathtub / shower. Outside, you will find another bathtub, and 2 massage chairs for outdoor spa treatments.

The resort is very well laid out with buddhist sculptures, and Indian style throughout. We loved the furniture in the public areas and the villas, a very minimalist but traditional style. The resort is located close by to a local Rajastani village which can be visited during the day. It is a great way to see how people live in the countryside yet being only 30 minutes from Jaipur, the largest city in Rajasthan.

We then went for dinner, which was set menu with both Indian and European options. The food was very good. I understand that some guests may find it bland, but as a European, I simply loved the Indian offering. Prices are definitely not cheap, but quality comes at a price and this is a 5-star resort. The next day, we had breakfast which is a la carte. It is a nice change from the large buffet where you have to fight for few pieces of cold bacon. The service was once again excellent and the food very tasty.

The only negative experience we had was at the spa. My partner and I had a massage in the evening and while my treatment was ok, my partner had a terrible massage and felt discriminated by the staff. We informed guest services and they will hopefully do something about it as the price of the treatment was the same as a luxury spa in Dubai or London.

Overall, a great experience with spacious and beautifully appointed villas. Great personalized service throughout except in the spa. Now, yes it is expensive but we didn't feel that the value for money was bad. Great service comes at a price and we do not mind paying for it. Such facilities and service anywhere else in the world including other countries in Asia would cost you double to triple the amount we paid!

We will definitely stay there again if we go back to Jaipur.

Room Tip: All the villas seem to be of the same quality and size. Some villas also have a private pool. We did...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HaiducPauli85
treeoflifejaipur, Owner at Tree of Life Resort & Spa Jaipur, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

It is always a delight to read reviews like yours, where guests take the time to share their Tree of Life experience with a wider audience. Thank you for doing so.

The location was by chosen me intentionally - away from the noise and crowd of city and yet just a 30 minutes convenient drive. Yes, I can well imagine your reaction while driving to us at night, but then like you said - the arrival made that journey so much more worth while. What we offer is so much more than a regular 350 sq.ft hotel room which one can get any where.

Thank you also for your kind words about our Villas, the cuisine, the staff and the resort in general. I do apologize that your spa experience was not as good as the rest of your stay with us. I note that you stayed with us in October last year and will certainly check and see what exactly went wrong here.

The team and I look forward to having you back with us and I also promise you a better spa experience.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Just spent 3 exotic nights at this resort which pampered us like never before. We reached there early in the morning and the Villa was given to us immediately without any fuss or making a point of an early check in. And then as the 3 days went by, I realized how under-stated and yet how efficient and caring they were in everything that they did.

We came in rather late for breakfast the second day and were sure that we would be told that breakfast time was over. They were there, waiting and served us as if nothing had happened.  The birthday cake and a card signed by the staff came to the Villa after dinner – a wonderful and caring touch. I read some recent guest comments about the poor staff attitude – must admit am rather surprised

Thank you team Tree of Life – we will be back, no matter who says what!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank priyasaw
treeoflifejaipur, Owner at Tree of Life Resort & Spa Jaipur, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Dear Guest,

It is always the sincere intent of each member at the Tree of Life to make the stay of our guests as comfortable and memorable as we have done for you. Yes, there are times when we are unable to do, despite our best efforts. I am so glad that both of you had a good stay with us.

Our service, what we call our Laidback Lifestyle, is exactly what you have said - understated, not in the face and yet very attentive. Thank you for noticing and mentioning this.

We do look forward to having you back with us for another 'Tree of Life Experience'.

Himmat

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kookas
Fairmont Jaipur
Trident, Jaipur
Trident, Jaipur
#13 of 411 in Jaipur
Taj Jai Mahal Palace Jaipur

Been to Tree of Life Resort & Spa Jaipur? Share your experiences!