“Was a bit of a let down”

Heartland Hotel Auckland Airport
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Denver, Colorado
“Was a bit of a let down”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Yes, the Bella Vista was an affordable motel close to the airport, but it could have cost us more than a very nice room across from the International Terminal. It was the only hotel/motel we stayed in while visiting New Zealand that did not have a microwave in the room, but they did accommodate us by microwaving our dinner in their kitchen. The room did have a tea kettle and refrigerator. Thirty minutes of free WIFI is available in the hotel lobby. If you want WIFI in your room or need more time, you can sign up on the television at a cost of $35 a night. We stayed two nights and were charged an additional $70 for a service we did not sign up for or use. However, there was no problem correcting the bill. We were also travelling with bicycles in plastic cases. Upon check in we were informed that they may not have room for us in the shuttle to the airport. Fortunately they did have space. The queen beds were soft and worn and the room, in fact the motel, showed wear and tear. It looked as if they couldn't keep up with the maintenance.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
BVExpress, General Manager at Heartland Hotel Auckland Airport, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your recent stay at the Bella Vista Express Hotel Auckland Airport. We are an 'express hotel product' that offers basic hotel standard accommodation without the trimmings. Hotels traditionally do not offer Microwaves in their rooms, however our one bedroom suites do as an alternative option. We recommend that if something like this is important that you advise us when booking as there many options available to you. Thank you for your feedback, I can assure you it will be put to good use.

Anne Lawson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Polish first
Tokoroa
Reviewed March 31, 2013

So close to the airport. Rooms comfortable and clean, just over $100. Meals available. Shuttle service excellent. The shuttle saved us over $20.00 in parking fees at the airport for 2/3 hours.Parking available free for a week. Staff friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RobynTokoroa
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your recent stay at the Bella Vista Express Hotel Auckland Airport. We are pleased to hear that your stay met your needs and expectations on this occasion. Just a small correction, parking is only complimentary depending upon what package you select, therefore please choose carefully as there are many options/packages available. We are continually working to improve the services and facilities we offer and I can assure you that your feedback will be put to good use. Once again thank you for your feedback.

Rotorua, New Zealand
Reviewed March 30, 2013

My partner and I went to Auckland to attend a sporting event in the nearby suburb of Onehunga. As we quite frequently stay in Auckland we thought we would give this hotel a try as it was in the perfect location.

Upon checkin I was asked if I was okay with a shower only in my bathroom yet I had booked through the Wotif website a room that had a bath. I declined and was moved into a room with a bath however it was right in the corner beside the main housemaids cupboard and we were woken every morning to them crashing about in there through the walls.

Upon return at night there were no carparks anywhere close to the entrance and a hike through the carpark was endured upon return (two night in a row). As we came back on the first night I opened the fridge to find a half eaten packet of toffee pops left from the previous guests. I didn't bother with it at the time but after having a shower and finding two towels with marks on them (unclean marks I might add) and no bath plug I went to reception with the biscuits and towels and approached the Night Receptionist with my concerns.

He rudely asked me who's biscuits these were (im sorry but as if I would bring my own biscuits down to the desk) in which i had to reply multiple times that it wasn't mine and pretty much had to demand I get new towels delivered. I also asked for a bath plug which this seemed to inconvenience him and also a guest comment card as the room had none.

He had the towels and plug delivered to me however no sign of the requested card. On return to the room (which was on the ground floor) i happen to notice the side door to the Main road was left open (it was now 1230am on a Friday night in Mangere, Auckland). This same door was left open the whole time we stayed there. Obviously not security conscience.

Both my partner and I have previously worked in Hotels for many years becoming managers until different career opportunities were presented to us and we have since moved out of the hotels. This has given us the opportunity to stay in many hotels and motels around New Zealand and by far this was the worst we have ever encountered. Never staying there again.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank kelnornz
BVExpress, General Manager at Heartland Hotel Auckland Airport, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your recent stay at the Bella Vista Express Hotel Auckland Airport. We are sorry to learn of the experiences you encountered during your stay particularly in regards to cleanliness which we are more often than not highly commended.
It is very surprising to learn that you felt unsafe as I can assure you that safety and security is a top priority. We offer a 24 hour shuttle service to meet the demands of Auckland International Airport and therefore the front door is generally not locked because of the regular half hourly trips made to the airport and more frequently between 4 - 7am. The back door is generally locked at Midnight, however the dedicated smoking area is located just outside this door and is often left open by guests. Given the limited number of staff available on the graveyard shift it is not always possible to ensure the door is locked at all times. We offer 24 hour CCTV surveillance of all entrances and exits to the hotel as well as the car park, we employ external security during the hours of 7pm - 7am which is logged and we have never had any reason to question or review these security measures. Thank you once again for your feedback, I can assure you that it will be put to good use.

Ashtead, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Stayed here twice, at the beginning and end of our trip. Their free shuttle bus takes you the 10 minutes to and from the airport, at any time. The rooms are huge and clean, with big comfy beds. It's very quiet, so no trouble sleeping. There's a bar, and they serve reasonable food, too. Although the swimming pool is really surrounded by car park, it's just the job after a long flight. Their computers were down on our second visit, which delayed our check in, but otherwise, no problems. It's much better than staying in central Auckland if you have a very early flight, as the airport is at least 45 minutes out of the city.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alison M
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your recent stay at the Bella Vista Express Hotel Auckland Airport. We are delighted to hear that your needs and expectations were met during your stay. We are continually working to improve the services and facilities we offer and therefore we appreciate knowing when we do a good job. Thank you for your feedback.

Tauranga
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I have spent a few nights at Bella Vista Express in Auckland, each time without incident. In fact, the hotel is generally in good conditon, the room tidy, the staff have never been the stars of the show, however it's reasonably priced for the night plus airport transfers and free parking.
My last trip (March 2013) there was to stay the night and leave my car parked for 5 days, upon returning to my vehicle there were 100's of ants swarming all over and inside my car. Looking at the bark gardens they were completely infested with ants.

Upon bringing this to the manager and his off siders attention they more or less treated me like an idiot - did I stay here? Did I have a bag of sugar in my car? Am I sure I parked in their carpark? Was I sure I stayed at the hotel?

They did not want to know about it, they offered to spray some fly spray in my car, but not clean it up even though they have a pest problem and the carpark and grounds are infested with ants - total bill for pest removal and cleaning of my car - $241.

It is very hard to speak to someone at the top when offered only an email address of how to contact someone and all of the staff speak english as a second language - disgusting treatment and disgraceful service - never staying there again.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank MikeTauranga
Thank for your taking the time to provide a review of your recent stay at the Bella Vista Express Hotel Auckland, We are pleased to hear that you find the hotel is kept in good order, that your room was tidy and that you felt you receive value for money as this is what our business specialises in. We are somewhat surprised to hear of your unfortunate experience regarding ants in your vehicle upon your return, it is important to note that no other cars parked in our entire car park (and there were many) experienced any similar issues which suggests that this incident was isolated. It is common knowledge that ants search for food, therefore it is not unreasonable to ask this question. Gathering evidence and facts is all a part of finding a suitable resolution. I came to know of this incident via our daily communications diary in which it states assistance was offered but declined. It does not matter what language you speak but from my experience it is difficult to satisfy or find any suitable solution when met with untoward behaviour also noted. Thank you for your feedback.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed March 27, 2013

This clean accommodation was fully booked the morning we flew in, so we were not able to get an early check in. But they did have us on a list that we viewed, and if possible would have received a room early. That was the only negative as we came from overseas.
The positives were the cleanliness, including of the bathroom. Sheets were not stained. Beds while not luxurious gave us a good sleep. The internet that we purchased for 24 hours was not working well. I mentioned it to reception and she did not charge us. That is good customer service. Other reviews complain about paying-but really?! At less than $90 a night, I would expect to have to pay for internet. And it was quite reasonable for 24 hours.
The breakfast they offered, although, was overpriced and no local new zealand offerings. We decided to go elsewhere for that.
I would stay here again if flying in to Auckland.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ashley_ducky
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your recent stay at the Bella Vista Express Hotel Auckland Airport. We are pleased to learn that the majority of your stay met your needs and expectations. We live in a user pay's society and what we pay for unfortunately has to be passed on to the consumer. $14.95 for 24 Hours of WIFI with the ability to connect 4 wireless devices for one low price we feel is extremely reasonable. By offering basic 'no frills' facilities and services which is typical of an express hotel product we are able to provide affordable accommodation options. Thank you for your feedback.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We were two couples staying in a room with LOTS of luggage. It was very comfortable and we did not trip over the luggage or each other. The only amenity that we used was the shuttle bus at 6 am. The shuttle was prompt and the driver was very nice. The checkin and and out was quick and simple. The one thing that we found to be an extra bonus was that our car rental allowed us to drop the car off at the hotel and not take it back to the car return saving us some time. We saw the pool outside looked inviting and the bar in the lobby looked great. I would most definately recommend this hotel especially for a stop over.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Canadian_Gwen
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your recent stay at the Bella Vista Express Hotel Auckland Airport. We are pleased to hear that your stay met your needs and expectations and that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. We are continually working to improve the services and facilities we offer and therefore we appreciate knowing when we do a good job. Thank you for your feedback.