“unclean”

Airport Gold Star Motel
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Reviewed October 8, 2010

service here was excellent however the room we found to be unclean the beds were the main issue with a stained mattress protector and very old and dated decor.The manager was very apologetic and we had no problems getting a refund and we stayed elsewhere.parking was at a premium although they do offer 14 days free parking with a shuttle service to the airport.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Flow101
There are newer reviews for Airport Gold Star Motel

Reviewed April 13, 2010

A Korean couple runs it. The lady at the front desk was kind. The man drives a pickup shuttle. The room is not very new but well cleaned up and linens are also clean. No problem with wireless internet ($4/hour or $10 for several hours). There is a small food and liquor shop nearby and some restaurants within walking distance (10 minutes). The day I stayed was a sunny summer day, I enjoyed swimming and staying at a very sunny room.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank tatsum2008
Reviewed November 21, 2009

Situated next door to Mangere Community Centre made for a noisy night until 12.45am, with room vibrating to loud music. Noise betgan again next morning at 8am with another community event. Decided to leave and it took me an hour to get a refund for my prepaid second night. Eventually achieved by seeking the help of the local police station.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank hollyAuckland
Reviewed July 3, 2009

This airport-region motel offered a basic room (full kitchen) and overall was comfortable. I read reviews of airport motels and the cheaper ones sound horrible... this was a bit higher in the price range and certainly was clean and well run. I liked the properly working heating with thermostat, although the bathroom was very cold. There is a nice small park beside the motel and the area looked fine to me. I used the wireless internet, which was reasonably priced. I had a good sleep and was quite satisfied.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank mountain820
Reviewed May 8, 2009

I am devastated to read some of the reviews that have been written about Airport Goldstar motel. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for all the rudeness done by the previous manager. This motel belongs to my parents and they have worked very hard to make it a clean and friendly place to stay. It is very disappointing to see their hard work undone by this one person.
Unfortunately they hired this chap last year who seemed nice and friendly with a good reference as a full time manager. It came to light recently by reports from other staff that he was a terrible person for the job. He has been fired and no longer works at the motel however it seems like the damage has already been done.

Once again I would like to say sorry to everyone who experienced unacceptable custmor service during the past year. We will work extra hard to make Airport Goldstar a place you will want to return and recommend to other.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank h2onuts
Reviewed February 3, 2009

We stayed here and booked 2 units - 1 for our family of 4 and one studio unit for my parents. We arrived in the evening and booked the 24hr shuttle service for 3.45am the following morning. We thought we might need 2 shuttle trips due to all our luggage and were told it would be $10 extra for the extra trip even though they advertise "free 24hr shuttle". I queried this because we had 2 units booked and thought we should be entitled to 1 free shuttle per unit.

The man was ready for us at the time requested. We ended up fitting into 1 shuttle which was good but the man did not say one word to us from when we saw him until he dropped us off despite our good mornings, thank yous and good-byes!!!! It was sooo weird.

Unfortunately, we had not much sleep as the unit(s) near us decided to have a party until very late and we had to get up at 3am. We didn't complain.

Apart from this the unit was a good size and was clean. We were comfortable. My parent's alarm clock didn't work. We found 2 of our lights didn't work. We were only there for a few hours so it didn't bother us.

Based on the man's total unfriendliness towards us, we would definitely try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank sydtravs
Reviewed October 18, 2008

I stayed at the Gold Star for 4 nights this month and found it a passable place for crashing at night.

The Upsides:

* cheap
* close to airport
* easy to find
* the room was surprisingly large
* whole kitchen in the room - fridge, sink, microwave, stove and some dishes and pans

The Downsides:

* loud traffic noise from trucks in one of the "quiet" rooms
* a choice of 5 tv channels
* lumpy uncomfortable beds
* mandatory maid service that may or may not include leaving all the necessary linen in the room
* grumpy front desk staff
* had to book by calling them directly / not on wotif
* maid service doesn't do dishes
* creepy feeling to the whole place

I didn't use their shuttle service so I can't speak to that. Compared to some of the other bargain places in the area, this one is one of the better ones.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank sydau2nz