“Good room with a garden pool”

Airport Gold Star Motel
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Wellington, New Zealand
“Good room with a garden pool”
Reviewed April 13, 2010

A Korean couple runs it. The lady at the front desk was kind. The man drives a pickup shuttle. The room is not very new but well cleaned up and linens are also clean. No problem with wireless internet ($4/hour or $10 for several hours). There is a small food and liquor shop nearby and some restaurants within walking distance (10 minutes). The day I stayed was a sunny summer day, I enjoyed swimming and staying at a very sunny room.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank tatsum2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Korean first
auckland
Reviewed November 21, 2009

Situated next door to Mangere Community Centre made for a noisy night until 12.45am, with room vibrating to loud music. Noise betgan again next morning at 8am with another community event. Decided to leave and it took me an hour to get a refund for my prepaid second night. Eventually achieved by seeking the help of the local police station.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank hollyAuckland
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed July 3, 2009

This airport-region motel offered a basic room (full kitchen) and overall was comfortable. I read reviews of airport motels and the cheaper ones sound horrible... this was a bit higher in the price range and certainly was clean and well run. I liked the properly working heating with thermostat, although the bathroom was very cold. There is a nice small park beside the motel and the area looked fine to me. I used the wireless internet, which was reasonably priced. I had a good sleep and was quite satisfied.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank mountain820
nz
Reviewed May 8, 2009

I am devastated to read some of the reviews that have been written about Airport Goldstar motel. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for all the rudeness done by the previous manager. This motel belongs to my parents and they have worked very hard to make it a clean and friendly place to stay. It is very disappointing to see their hard work undone by this one person.
Unfortunately they hired this chap last year who seemed nice and friendly with a good reference as a full time manager. It came to light recently by reports from other staff that he was a terrible person for the job. He has been fired and no longer works at the motel however it seems like the damage has already been done.

Once again I would like to say sorry to everyone who experienced unacceptable custmor service during the past year. We will work extra hard to make Airport Goldstar a place you will want to return and recommend to other.

Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank h2onuts
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 3, 2009

We stayed here and booked 2 units - 1 for our family of 4 and one studio unit for my parents. We arrived in the evening and booked the 24hr shuttle service for 3.45am the following morning. We thought we might need 2 shuttle trips due to all our luggage and were told it would be $10 extra for the extra trip even though they advertise "free 24hr shuttle". I queried this because we had 2 units booked and thought we should be entitled to 1 free shuttle per unit.

The man was ready for us at the time requested. We ended up fitting into 1 shuttle which was good but the man did not say one word to us from when we saw him until he dropped us off despite our good mornings, thank yous and good-byes!!!! It was sooo weird.

Unfortunately, we had not much sleep as the unit(s) near us decided to have a party until very late and we had to get up at 3am. We didn't complain.

Apart from this the unit was a good size and was clean. We were comfortable. My parent's alarm clock didn't work. We found 2 of our lights didn't work. We were only there for a few hours so it didn't bother us.

Based on the man's total unfriendliness towards us, we would definitely try somewhere else next time.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Unfriendly customer service
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank sydtravs

Travelers are raving about these Mangere hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 18, 2008

I stayed at the Gold Star for 4 nights this month and found it a passable place for crashing at night.

The Upsides:

* cheap
* close to airport
* easy to find
* the room was surprisingly large
* whole kitchen in the room - fridge, sink, microwave, stove and some dishes and pans

The Downsides:

* loud traffic noise from trucks in one of the "quiet" rooms
* a choice of 5 tv channels
* lumpy uncomfortable beds
* mandatory maid service that may or may not include leaving all the necessary linen in the room
* grumpy front desk staff
* had to book by calling them directly / not on wotif
* maid service doesn't do dishes
* creepy feeling to the whole place

I didn't use their shuttle service so I can't speak to that. Compared to some of the other bargain places in the area, this one is one of the better ones.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — lumpy bed
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank sydau2nz
UK
Reviewed September 8, 2008

On paper this motel looks fine and if all you want is a clean and comfortable sleep then it is, but don't expect anyone to be nice to you. The poor chap, and I assume he is the manager, who picked us up from the airport and checked us in (if you can call it that) clearly wished we were dead.
We arrived wearily at the airport after flying from the UK and after calling to arrange the pickup waited for it to arrive. But it didn't. After 45 minutes I phoned again to be told rudely that we had been waiting in the wrong place. I was informed in no uncertain terms that our lift had arrived and had left again although we - a very tired, prebooked and paid up family party of 4,- were waiting all alone a few metres away from the apparant arranged spot, and clearly visible to anyone who cared to look .
A Very Grumpy Motel Man arrived who glared at us in hatred, didn't help us load any bags, and was so rude in spite of my attempt to share some the blame for the confusion. We drove in stoney silence back to the motel, he didn't help us when we arrived, stomped into the office, kept us waiting with our bags in the rain not sure of what to do, suddenly snarled at us out of the door "Well aren't you coming into register!" He muttered some instructions as to the whereabouts of the unit in the most unwelcoming way he could, and no doubt went off swearing under his breath.
The room was fine, beds, clean and comfy, but I think the manager either hates late night pickups, has been let down in the past or just needs someone to love him. We won't be back. Welcome to New Zealand kids.

• Liked — it's location
  • Disliked — the people skills of management
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Annie2008UK