“Dont stay there - its dirty and unsafe”

Airport Gold Star Motel
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Wellington, New Zealand
“Dont stay there - its dirty and unsafe”
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Why do people run or own motels who clearly dont care about the first impression or simple cleanliness. Recently stayed here and have to say was shocked to find cobwebs in the kitchen (and not a single one but a group that were around15cm around in the left hand corner directly above the oven. The oven door would not open unless the back door was also open (what happens in the rain or wind). The state of the outside plastic chairs which were in a condition that should cause health and safety issues because of the 6 I saw 4 were broken to the point if you sat and relaxed you would fall thru the back. And to boot for my $95 I came away with insect bites as a reminder of where NOT to stay in Auckland. Appauled.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank J H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Korean first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 30, 2011

I have recently read your response about our car being broken into:

Your comments: "I am the manager of Airport Gold Star motel and while everone is entitled to an opinion, I really need to answer the review of the couple whose car was vandalised. In my time here [at that point just on a year ] no other car had been broken into. We have no signs around the motel advertising 24 hour survaliance.I did point this out to them but for some reason they obviously think they saw them".

I strongly disagree with your comment about the ellusive 24 hour surveillance signs. I would not make such a remark if it was untrue. I did make an error when i said the signs said there was 24 hour 'CAMERA' surviellance to you as this was not the case, however there WERE signs clearly stating there was 24 hour surviellane at your motel and your words to us were "there are no security cameras however there are security patrols that routinely go round the grounds". We had just caught someone breaking into our car for which we had to pay £450 to get fixed so i'm sure i can be forgiven for the slight mistake.

My comments were not intended to cause you any distress as as i have said in my review, you were very helpful and we obviously don't blame you personally for us being broken into howwever I felt it was only right for me to give the facts about my experience and to warn anyone planning on staying so they can be wary.

Finally, rather than concentrating on a lick of paint and renewing curtains and bed spreads; fixing windows that could not be shut on a ground floor unit may have been a bit more of a priority, especially in such an area. There is waste ground at the side of the motel and what looks like corporation housing at the back, Our stolen property was found dumped on this land so surely fixing fence panels would make it more difficult for the theives so maybe this should also be a priority.

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gail006

Travelers are raving about these Mangere hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2011

We (couple) go here every year and stay one or two nights with my parents as well. I read the reviews here on tripadvisor and think many are unfair. It's a basic motel with dated but reasonably clean rooms. It is on a fairly main road so there is some traffic noise. When we booked somewhere closer to the airport (it was terrible - a chain hotel located in the middle of an industrial estate, with a pool in the carpark, unclean room and unhelpful/unfriendly ). Airport Goldstar offers a free shuttle service, have friendly staff, and is located down the road from a takeaway and dairy (so you can get provisions for cooking in your unit even if you don't have a car). The decent-sized pool has always been well maintained and clean EVERY time that we have visited (at least once a year for the past 6 years) - though we tend to stay in the spring rather than the height of summer when the schools are off. It's a family-friendly motel with everything you need for a decent price.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Alison R
Oakland, California
Reviewed August 15, 2011

This is a great hotel for a stop-over. We were traveling from the states to Samoa and we needed a place to crash for one night. This place was perfect. They had bed warmers, a hot shower, and a kitchenette; which was all we needed. The manager was extremely gracious. We stayed there twice during our trip and the manager picked us up quickly both times and provided us with good information about Auckland. If you're an artist or art enthusiast tell the manager, David, because he is an art collector.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Noah G
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Everything was great, including prices, location and rooms. There is awesome service.
I rate it highly.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank BradleyW981
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed June 17, 2011

Lets face it, it's an older Motel that hasn't been maintained well. Rating a Motel should surely been done in comparison with other Motels etc in the price range. So look at it for what it is. I have stayed here a few times over the years mainly because of its location near Auckland Airport.
The new Manager, David, has done wonders for the place. I have stayed in a few of the Units and some I know have been painted and there are different bedspreads and curtains.
I used the pool there and thought it was fine, the gardens are great too.
I have always parked my car there and never been broken in to.
For the price that you pay this place is a good deal. I will keep going there.

Room Tip: David will help you
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank JasonfromTauranga
Adelaide
Reviewed June 17, 2011

We stayed one night before an early flight out. Older motel and very noisy with street traffic and a sensor light going on all night. It is right by the airport with a free shuttle, friendly manager, movie channels and elect blankets. Would be good to use as a day room.

Room Tip: Only stay here if you are a good sleeper
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple