“Disappointed, not clean and fleas.”

Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Mangere

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New Zealand
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Firstly, I see so many other reviews talking about airport pickups, wifi, booking issues etc. if you are an organised person, who cares where there money is going, surely you make sure you are aware of all details before you do anything? Our experience staying here was good. We arrived, and rang the motel immediately ( as it says to do when you arrive on your booking details online) and the receptionist was very straight up and said it would be about 25 minutes due to the traffic. It was. The fellow who drove it was neither impolite nor polite, quite quiet, but put our bags aboard for us, and got us to the motel safely. Once there, the reception girl was extremely helpful and polite, and I would give her 10 out of 10 for her part in our stay. Our motel unit was basic but clean, had a couple of damage spots here and there, but this is to be expected in this price range. The beds were comfortable and clean, free tea and coffee and full kitchenette facilities. We were provided with a free breakfast the next day in the adjoining hotel, which was your standard free brekky: toast with spreads, cereal, milk, tea, coffee, juice. If you wanted a hot brekky as well, it could be purchased for an extra $8 . The staff in this hotel were exceedingly polite also, and knew how to serve. The transfer trip back to the airport was quick and up eventful. Perhaps when you travel a lot as I have, you realise you get what you pay for, and with a clean room, free wifi, free transfers and free breakfast, I think $79 is a good price nowadays.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Shalend P, Front Office Manager at Auckland Airport Kiwi Motel, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Hi Lisabug,
It is great to hear that you were able to take advantage of our product and service with additional offers. We appreciate your feedback, it will assist us in improving our services for future guests. Please stay in touch with us and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Warm regards,
Hervey Bay, Australia
Reviewed October 8, 2013

booked via booking.com as it looked one night @ NZ$79.00. A courtesy bus collected me from the airport quite promptly which is the only good thing about the whole experience(mind you a lot of people were staying there with me) and they did drop me off at DOMESTIC in the morning to get flight to Great Barrier. The room was part of a separate complex way down the back & after much ducking & diving arrived. Wouldn't recommend staying in one of these rooms FREEZING had to block the NOTICEABLE GAP under front door with bathroom towels (which were nice another highlight of the room) as wind whipped through front door straight into the main area. Admittedly room was good size, bed comfortable (SUGGEST SUPPLY XTRA BLANKETS) that's where it ends. Shower was awful and bathroom window VERY DODGY indeed anyone walking passed could see right into bathroom I ended up showering IN THE DARK. Large lounge windows (facing out toward front of main reception/road)had NO SECURITY screening, all windows were wide open when I arrived. Only Security on that area was a dodgy sign saying there was a security camera on this window which didn't make me feel secure as Mangere is not the safest place in this part of Auckland. These rooms look very different on the website and are not renovated and I booked a deluxe room so goodness knows what other ones are like. Worse still was the RUGBY was on and the people staying in my vicinity were VERY NOISY and partied on until 2-3am the next morning so obviously NO SECURITY around. OVERALL TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE would NOT STAY HERE AGAIN and it is further then 5minutes drive from the Airport. I would recommend you stay at either the IBIS (if a couple as rooms are small & that includes the family room) or at the AIRPORT GATEWAY much better overall and you pay the same money!!

Room Tip: Just don't stay here stay somewhere else that will charge you the same charge.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank hinae
Hi Hinae,

Thanks for your feedback on your recent stay with us.

All our rooms had extra linens,pillow and blankets in cupboards which I believe was not looked by you.Also rooms had wall heater for heating.

It would be grate if you talked to our reception staff for the facilities in room if you could not able to locate.- upon check-in.

Thanks
Auckland Airport Kiwi Motel

Travelers are raving about these Mangere hotels

Waitara
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Firstly though it was unclear at the time I made the booking for $79 via Booking.com my credit card was immediately charged upon confirmation with a service fee added on top of that. To their credit Booking.com followed up my enquiry about this and advised me the details. When we arrived in Auckland at 8.20pm we waited in the cold for our pickup for nearly 20 minutes. It was 9pm when we arrived at the hotel and we were told the restaurant was open until 9.30pm but after getting booked in we were told we had to have our meal in our room. No room service so my husband had to struggle upstairs with a tray with our dinner after his first trip to bring back our drinks. The meal and drinks cost us more than our room which was $88 and though pleasant enough was ridiculously expensive! As for the room it was adequate but had a strong smell of bleach and I had to open the window to let the fresh air come in and remove the smell. One of the reasons we booked through booking,com was being able to have a breakfast. Another disappointment as it was only cereal and toast and fruit juice. Will avoid this place in future because I would rather spend a little bit more money and be comfortable then repeat this experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Redheaded2
Shalend P, General Manager at Auckland Airport Kiwi Motel, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. However, the property you are reviewing does not seem to be our property as our motel is just on ground floor. I hope this review can be moved to the appropriate property.

Take care and I hope you choose us next time when you are in Auckland.

Warm Regards,
New South Wales
Reviewed September 19, 2013

First of all we had NO idea there was a separate bus/van for transportation to this hotel. After standing out in front of the terminal asking every bus if they went to this hotel and then seeing some of them come around again we decided to go in to the I-site to see if we could get a phone number for the hotel. I had made the reservation from my tablet so no way to print anything out, and I had not thought to write down a phone number, since I had not perceived a problem. Stupid on my part !
Saw a notice for them on the wall of the I-site, it turned out you had to CALL them first to get a pick up. It would have been nice for this information to be on their site or on the email confirming my reservation. I had booked through an agent but still the info could have been on there. Anyway, when I called the two digit number, which can only be called from the free phone in the I-site, they said 20 minutes and where to wait. We walked all the way back to the other end of the terminal and outside to pick up point. (well away from the regular shuttle buses) After half an hour I was getting annoyed no one had come. So went back in and called again, was told 5 minutes this time. Went back to the pick up point, another half hour goes by and still no one. Went back called again and lost it, I told them to cancel my booking we would go elsewhere. The woman on the phone did not bother to inform me I was going to be still be charged for the two nights I had booked.
Even though we were only staying over by 6 hrs after check out time the next day, I had to pay for a second night. IF she had told me this I would have taken a cab to the hotel as I was tired of standing (no place to sit) and it had been 1 1/2 hours by this time after arriving at the terminal.
I booked the Ibis, got on the bus no fuss no muss. However, when I called booking.com to tell them I had cancelled, they called the Kiwi Motel. When they got back to me was when I found out that they were still charging me. Apparently they had already charged my card almost a week before the date of our arrival. After several phone calls back and forth they said they would only charge me for one night. I am still going to contest the charges with my bank. All they had to do was tell me when I called to say I was tired of waiting and wanted to cancel that I would still be charged that would have been fine and I would have taken a cab. Better yet would have been to let people know what the procedure was to procure a ride from the airport and then to show up !!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank SoCalexpat
Shalend P, General Manager at Auckland Airport Kiwi Motel, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Guest
Thanks for your comment on our service whereas you choose not to enjoy our hospitality.
We take pride in the way we conduct business and in the service and products Auckland Airport Kiwi Hotel provides. We have been clear, honest and detailed in regards of our product and service information and policy.
I did an investigation on this and found that you had been informed about our shuttle pick up wherein our shuttle driver went three times to pick you up but you did not turn up at the designated pick up area. For your information, our driver picked 5 guest while he was looking for you.
Airport authority had designated areas in airport for hotels pickup and drop off which can be easily located.
Our shuttle cannot park at any other places as the airport authority will charged hundreds of dollars for this offense.
Our cancellation policy is written on our website and had been provided along with your booking confirmation which was not followed by you.
You were luck as we haven’t charged for second night accordingly to the booking policy on which Auckland Airport Kiwi Hotel will be paying commission to Booking.com.

I recommend you please always look hotels booking policy if you are booking through third party agents.

With Regards
Auckland Airport Kiwi Hotel
New Plymouth, New Zealand
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Adequate for a one night stopover. Cleaner could have spent 5 more minutes to wipe fridge door and cupboard handles etc, but otherwise clean and comfortable.
Only stayed to catch a early flight so suited us for this purpose.

• Stayed September 2013
Shalend P, General Manager at Auckland Airport Kiwi Motel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear TeresaB8

I thank you for taking your precious time to share the experience during your recent stay with us.

We pride ourselves in offering a high level of service. I am very disappointed that my housekeeper did not clean cupboard and fridge as per your expectation which is a concern to me.

We are so glad to see that you embraced what we offer here at our property. Feedback really is a great driver in ensuring we as a property can keep striving to the high standards we have.

Look forward to welcome you again on your next visit to Auckland.

With my best regards,
Mangere
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The service was excellent
room very clean had everything we needed
Staff was accommodating and helpful stayed twice during our trip.
Would recommend
Good distance from airport
Pick up service from airport, excellent
Drop off to airport, excellent

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Shalend P, General Manager at Auckland Airport Kiwi Motel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Aggie W

We are so glad to see that you embraced what we offer here at our property. Great rooms, Great price and Airport location.

We pride ourselves on our friendly and efficient staff, so it is wonderful to hear that they assisted in making your stay even more enjoyable.

Take care and I hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Auckland.

Warm Regards