“Old, shabby motel”

Airport Garden Inn Hotel
Airport Garden Inn Hotel
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Reviewed June 14, 2008

After arriving at Auckland airport, we tried to find the promised shuttle bus that was supposed to be included in the booking. Gave up and caught a taxi to this place instead. First rip off after arriving in NZ - the cab driver charged me $50 for a 10 minute trip. This place is not really a hotel at all, it is a rundown 1960s motel, where you can park directly outside your room. We booked a room with 3 single beds for NZ$110 a night. Walking down the grim, dingy corridors to get to our room, we knew the room was not going to be flash. The grounds and common areas of the motel are unkempt and in disrepair: overgrown weeds and grass, an empty fish tank and a broken down, rusty old washing machine feature in the 'garden'. The room itself was cramped, dingy and substandard. The carpet was very worn, stained and dirty looking. The bathroom is small, old and cramped. The furniture and the room itself looked like they have never been updated or replaced since the motel was new. There was an electric heater in the room , but no air conditioning, but this is Auckland and even in mid summer the weather is mild. Opened the window for some fresh air to get out the musty smells- no insect screen, so sandflies come in and make themselves home. The hotel is located in a semi urban area a long way from any shops or other conveniences.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Kim062

Reviewed June 1, 2008

This is by a long long way the worst hotel I have ever stayed at - anywhere!

The reception staff were surly and unhelpful,, the carpets stained, and the room in shocking condition. In-room carpets and furniture were sticky with dirt, the bathroom was grubby, and a wall light was dangling from its flex, in a dangerous condition.

The 'mini-bar' was an empty, dirty fridge, in which we would not have stored animal food.

Only the fact that we had an early flight the next day kept us there - otherwise we would have packed our bags immediately and left.

Please take our advice and don't waste your money - a bench in the park would be cheaper and more agreeable.

Stayed: April 2007
4  Thank CheltenhamPeter
Reviewed May 25, 2008

First, this hotel is no longer affiliated with Best Western, the signage has been removed ... that should have sent warning signals.

So why did we stay here? From previous trips we knew that Auckland downtown was a good 40min from the airport so we thought staying closer to the airport for our 5am flight would be better off - WRONG! The suburb as others have noted is in a very unsafe area. The hotel staff warned me several times to keep my car parked by reception rather than by our room as there are frequent break-ins. The gas stations in the area need you to pre-pay before filling up - first time we've seen in New Zealand.

The rooms is dirty and the beds look like they've taken a good beating over the years. The bathroom looks like something you'd find in a minimum security jail cell.

There is nothing close by, you'll need to drive to find shopping, groceries and restaurants - you'll want to drive out of this area!

I thought one or two recent redeeming reviews would make the rating on this motel better, not so, you've been warned. In retrospect, it was better to pay $10 more and stay at any of the better known hotels in downtown and brave the earlier morning wakeup call.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank TimeToGoTravel
Reviewed January 30, 2008

I was only staying 1 night and leaving 5.am to meet an early flight.I found my room to be very clean and more than adequate for my needs. I would recommend it and stay again.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank netbet
Reviewed January 17, 2008

This hotel - should not even be called a hotel. It was appalling and I wish I had read the review before going. Please take my advice - pay a little extra, and stay in a decent, safe place! I cant stress this enough.

We arrived in Auckland after a 8 hour drive. When we arrived at the front desk in at the hotel - everything went smoothly. The receptionist check us in and showed us the way around.

When I got into the room I stood in the room for Min's - walked back out to the receptionist and checked out. I could not believe the state of this hotel. It was shocking.

No air-conditioning. Bathroom was worse then an average standard bathroom. As it was all on one level I did not feel safe leaving windows open for air. No fan as well! I could not believe my eyes.

Giving this hotel a 1 rating is considered lucky. We moved to the venture inn suites only 2 mins from this hotel, paid approximately $15 extra a night for a safe contained unit with spa bath and air conditioning as well as a complimentary breakfast every morning.

This hotel is a total rip off. You have been warned. Dont stay here if you want service saftey and clean facilities. Trust me - Its not worth it.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelbugmee
Reviewed January 7, 2008

I can't warn you enough about this place. The rooms were worn down and very unattractive. There was a big tear in our curtains, and in my Mom's room there was a tile missing in the ceiling, causing a big draft. Service was shocking. Our maid left us a nasty note about keeping our room clean! (we did some laundry and had it on the couch). The t.v. was very small. Overall the Airport Garden Inn was very uncomfortable and unappealing. It is not central to any shopping or restaurants, and it really isn't that close to the aiport. We switched to the Ventura which is closer to the airport, new and excellent rooms and service for only slightly more money.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank WamDy
Reviewed December 29, 2007

We stayed just the one night & found the value for money spent was very reasonable. We've just travelled through UK & Europe & this place must have been a 10th of the cost for a similar standard. Transport to & from the airport was also free. In England we were paying more than 3 times the cost of this hotel just to get to the airport. Staff were quite friendly.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple