“Great Place to Stay”

Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Ngaruawahia, New Zealand
“Great Place to Stay”
Reviewed November 4, 2011

I stay at this hotel between 6 - 8 times per year and can thoroughly recommend it as a facility that is efficently run and affordable. The staff are courteous. The shuttle service is excellent and being able to leave one's car onsite for up to 2 weeks is an excellent offer to take advantage of. I have noticed a distinct improvement in the hotel over the past year, obviously the new management have worked hard to improve their performance - this includes the provision of excellent meals at their restaurant.

I will definetly continue using this service and can recommend it to others.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Takatapui

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Whakatane, New Zealand
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Booked through wotif and was no more than $ 60.00 and included 14 days car park. Also free airport shuttle. Meals ok.
Stayed two nights. Quiet sleep areas. Room ok, floor needs spot clean. Very friendly
staff alround. Have stayed twice in the last 8mths and will do so again.

Room Tip: All ok I think as the location is just off the main rd
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed October 2, 2011

My family booked into this hotel because it was close to the airport and inexpensive. It was not worth the money! The lobby was beautifully updated and deceptive. We assumed the rooms couldn't be that bad until we entered ours. The furniture was dingy and smelt of mold and the carpet was stained. The bathroom had a sink with fixtures that dated to the sixties(hot faucet & cold faucet separate). We stood on a towel inside the shower stall since the tiles were stained with mildew and who knows what. When we opened the sheets for one of our children, there were blood? stains on the bed. We requested new sheets and were told by the management that stains happen!! Finally, after insisting we received new bedding. However, we weren't sure how clean it was having gone by the laundry and noticing folded "clean" bedding sitting on the floor. The real excitement started that night as we attempted to get what little sleep we could before our early flight out. We heard some raised voices and then what sounded suspiciously like gunshots( not just one). It was enough to make my husband abandon all hope of sleep and prop a chair against the door and sit in it until we had to leave. None of us slept more than an hour or two and we would have been better off staying in the city. Pay the extra money and stay somewhere else especially if you have your kids with you! On the plus side, we weren't robbed and our kids will never forget their " adventure" stay at the Airport Garden Inn.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Diana K
donnafuatavai, Owner at Airport Garden Inn Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2011
In response to the review made by Diana K, who stayed at the Airport Garden Inn back in May, the hotel has a NEW MANAGEMENT TEAM, Mr & Mrs Patrick & Kathy Scanlon, who have been Managers at the hotel since mid June 2011. Pat is a past board member of the Motel Association of NZ.
Pat is the perfect host, while Kathy is very passionate about cleanliness in & around the hotel.
Together they have a vast experience of owning & running hotels & motels throughout NZ & are working extremely hard with their team to bring the Airport Garden Inn Hotel & Conference Centre up to a standard, I as the owner would be proud of.
Pat has also employed a NEW CHEF 'Madhu' previously from the Hotel Intercontinental Fiji & have added a new MENU.

Travelers are raving about these Mangere hotels

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed September 22, 2011

After reading some reviews I was hesitant about booking here but I need not have been concerned. The new management have done a superb job of bringing it up to a great venue. My room was clean and though a little dated, it suited my needs just fine. The hotel is very quiet, staff are very helpful and courteous and all my needs were met. Our conference room was terrific, the teas and lunch tasty and a hit with the participants. Any extra things I asked for were delivered promptly. Also the free shuttle was a real bonus.I will be back here again.
Chuck Marriott
AVAILLL NZ

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Chuck M
Saint-Pierre, Reunion Island
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Booked this accomodation last minute on arrival at Auckland Int'l. The motel is fairly close to the airport, about 10 minutes' drive. Rooms need updating, but nothing shocking. Our room had an ancient heater/aircon unit, a fridge, tea & coffee making facilities, a good en-suite bathroom and two large single beds.
Reception staff were very friendly indeed, which makes all the difference. We had our evening meal in the restaurant, service was excellent and the meals & wine were good.
The small outdoor swimming pool was clean, pleasant and warm.
All in all, a good option if you're looking for a relaxing place to stay if you're taking a flight.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 15, 2011

Due to the Chilean volcano ash , this was our second cancellation of a flight to Melbourne. Airline sent us here. About 30 odd travellers were sent there, we were in the 2nd return trip to this dump. Walked in, given our key and looked in the room. On way to room the corridor smelt like a urinal, but the better olfactory senses were challenged when the door was opened, Mould mould and more mould. Of the 4 couples that walked in 3 walked out and made collective plans for other options, Booked a contingency hotel, Back to Airport to complain to airline who put us in the the brand new Sudima. Chalk and cheese. From our comfort of this new hotel room read tripadvisor about this place and agreed with all the bad comments having stood in the room for less than 5 minutes before walking out.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank degarr
Sanbornton, New Hampshire
Reviewed March 20, 2011

We booked here because it looked nice on the website and was close enough to the airport to shuttle. I did not want to drive tired so we took someplace close. Upon my arrival I was told not to go outside alone, not leave anything of value in my room at any point due to potential robbery and was horrified with dirtiness of room. As I did not have a rental car yet I was stuck at the hotel until the following day and was forced to eat at the hotel facility. The pool was dirty and a large glass table was shattered all over the pool deck and left with customers out there swimming. Food service was horrible, The staff could barely speak English and were very rude when I did not understand what they were saying. Also, sitting in the dining area I and other folks not of the native culture were ignored and served last every meal. Further, they tried to cheat me repeatedly on internet charges.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple