An airport Holiday Inn: you expect efficiency, a comfortable room, corporate blandness and total forgettability. Yet the one at Auckland Airport is positively a very nice hotel, memorable, even the sort of place at which you could have an enjoyable holiday.
It's thirty years old or so, but yet very new. It must have been built in the 1970s when many hotels had big rooms with a wall of sliding windows opening on to a patio/balcony. This was surely when chain hotels were at their best, before they became boringly eco-conscious, banned balconies and opening windows, and gave us cells instead. And why is it very new? Because until recently it was the Centra Hotel, but the owners won the Holiday Inn franchise and have spent a fortune doing everything up, from the carpets to the lighting.
There are long two-storey wings of bedrooms attached to a central public area, all rooms witha balcony or patio, looking out either on to the mature trees and shrubs around the car park, or into the large central area with a pool, large patio and gardens.
There's more than enough parking and a frequent shuttle bus to the airport, 4km away. The restaurant and bar were both excellent when I stayed there, and the staff extremely friendly. Although it's in a suburban area, the hotel was quiet overnight, though it's possible that some rooms have some traffic noise.
So this is not your usual airport Holiday Inn a la LAX or LHR. It's a quiet resort-feel hotel in its own extensive grounds, the sort of hotel where life flows naturally from the interior into the sunshine outside.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Auckland Airport is located only 4km from Auckland International and Domestic Airport Terminals, set amongst 10 acres of tranquil established gardens, out of flight paths and set back from the road away from traffic – Holiday Inn Auckland Airport is a sub-tropical quiet oasis. The hotel's airport shuttle bus will link you with the hotel in just 5 minutes, so you will soon be relaxing after your flight in one of the well appointed rooms or by the hotel swimming pool. You will be warmly welcomed by genuine people offering authentic New Zealand down-to-earth consistent service in a relaxed and unique environment. The decor features stunning authentic Maori carvings and a huge aquarium backdrop to the reception desk and a centrepiece to the lobby. Holiday Inn Auckland Airport is a non-smoking hotel with plenty of outdoor spaces for those who still like to. The Auckland Airport accommodation offers guests excellent hotel facilities, restaurant dining and access to attractions in and around the greater Auckland. Holiday Inn Auckland Airport is a great choice for families as children eat and sleep for free. The 250 spacious en-suite guest rooms have a contemporary design with a focus on functionality, quiet and comfort. Holiday Inn hallmarks include showers with a massage option shower head, choice of soft or firm pillows and mattress toppers for a great night’s sleep. All rooms have been refurbished. In-room features include;* individually controlled air conditioning,* ensuite bathroom,* flat screen TV,* Sky TV channels,* in-room movies,* workspace/desk,* phone,* iPod docking station radio/alarm,* high speed internet access,* fridge,* complimentary tea/coffee making facilities. The refurbishment at the hotel has been a well constructed, modern design, that has given space back to the guest to relax in. All our standard rooms are 28 sq. m and feature contemporary design with a focus on functionality, quiet and comfort. The guest rooms have been divided equally between Twin rooms with 2 double beds, and King rooms. Our King DELUXE has the added bonus of facing the beautiful centre courtyard gardens. We also have Nine Suites ranging from our Superior Tower Suites and Deluxe Spa Suites to our Super Deluxe Tower Suite. ALL our Suites have Spas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, IHG, Ctrip TA, Booking.com, Orbitz, Agoda, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Auckland Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Auckland Airport Hotel Mangere
- Centra Auckland Airport Mangere
- Centra Auckland Airport Hotel
- Holiday Inn Auckland Airport Mangere