“Terrible food, terrible service, avoid!”

Holiday Inn Auckland Airport
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

Grey first impression with this hotel, only stayed one night because we were due to catch a flight home the next day. Glad to say the room was clean, can't fault that, but the restaurant & overall service was absolutely awful. We were greeted by two waitresses giggling and mucking about with each other, we ordered a starter of chicken satay which took ages to come and then ended up being raw (which was more than a bit worrying in case we got ill from what we did eat when due to board a 17 hour flight the next day!) sent it back and then had our main course served which was steak, both ordered rare/medium rare and both came out well done. We let this slide as we were hungry and didn't want to wait another hour for a new one, the waitress then decided to clear our plates before we had both finished which we found incredibly awkward and rude, one of us was sat still eating. Decided to have dessert as the starter had been a flop, waited 45 minutes before having to flag one of the severs down and ask for the dessert menu, then another HOUR passed before we were served frozen solid, inedible cheesecake. We complained again and to give them credit we didn't have to pay for the starter or dessert but it was an utterly disappointing experience. To top it off we had requested a late check out (2pm) and ended up getting locked out of our room at 12 after we returned from having some lunch (at a cafe round the corner - absolutely not the restaurant!) had to wait at reception for ages whilst they sorted it out. Very disappointing say for our last night in NZ.

• Stayed: November 2013
Ryan S, Ryan South - General Manager at Holiday Inn Auckland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2013

Hi,
Thank you for taking the time to describe your restaurant experience here on Tripadvisor. I do apologise that your stay was less than perfect. I was very disappointed to read about your restaurant experience and I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly regarding your stay. You have remained anonymous via Tripadvisor so I do hope that you will contact me directly via the hotel switchboard on +64 9 275 1059 so that I may follow up regarding your experience.

Please know that we take your feedback very seriously and I have already taken action regarding your comments. I note that your in room experience was positive and I will pass that on to our Housekeeping team.

I once again offer my sincere apologies and I do hope the remainder of your journey home was comfortable.

Kind regards,

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Check in was friendly and efficient. IHG Rewards Club was also recognised which was nice. We had booked two king rooms for one night and both were clean and tidy. Friends of ours had flown in on an international flight quite late, so being close to the Airport was a bonus. We came down to the restaurant at 10pm and both the restaurant and bar were shut, fair enough it was very quiet. However the kind waitresses kindly made a table for us in the foyer area and served us dinner. See you again next month!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Samuel B
Ryan S, Ryan South - General Manager at Holiday Inn Auckland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

Hi,
Thank you for taking the time to share your Holiday Inn Auckland Airport experience.
What a delight to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and we do look forward to seeing you again November.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

This hotel had a great location, close to the airport. All the staff were very friendly. The rooms were a great size and very well kept and clean. There was a good bar area, we partcularly enjoyed happy hour! The layout of the hotel was good and the outside area look nice and well maintained.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ryan S, Ryan South - General Manager at Holiday Inn Auckland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

Hi,
Thank you for taking the time to review Holiday Inn Auckland Airport. It was so nice to read that you had a great stay. We are in fact very proud of our gardens. The gardens truly do offer an oasis in the Airport Precinct that is unique to the hotel and now that summer is nearly here it is a great place to enjoy a cold drink from the bar.
See you next time for happy hour.

Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night having booked what we thought was an hotel on the airport complex. The room was fine, staff were friendly and car parking was outside the room. A drink at the bar was normal excessive hotel prices.
To get to the airport airport it is either a taxi or bus. We opted for the bus which we were told left on the hour and half hour, cost $6 each one way and as it arrived 20 minutes after the stated departure time and went round other hotels on route rather than expecting to be at the airport 10 minutes after it was supposed to leave we arrived 40 minutes later. Had I know I would have taken a taxi.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lesrosbifs

Hi,
Thank you for taking the time to review Holiday Inn Auckland Airport.
It is great to hear that you had an enjoyable and that your interactions with the team was a highlight. Please accept my apologies for any delays with the Airport Shuttle Bus. The timetable is that it arrives on the hour and on the half hour and is about a 10 to 15 minute ride to the airport. I an only assume there was an external factor affecting the shuttle on this particular day but I can assure that this is an anomaly and is usually very punctual.
The team and I look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Auckland.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We were put up in this hotel because of a flight diversion. We only spent four hours here but we were really really impressed. It was 3am when a bus load of diverted passengers arrived at the Holiday Inn and the staff were super organised. It was an incredibly smooth process. We had a gorgeous room with a very comfortable bed. The breakfast buffet was out of this world! Although we had a really really short stay here, our impressions were excellent. If I need a hotel at Auckland Airport, this will definitely be my first choice.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ryan S, Ryan South - General Manager at Holiday Inn Auckland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Hi,
Flight delays are never fun but we try very hard to make them as painless as possible for our guests. I am delighted to hear that you had a great stay even though you were only with us for a short time. The team and I hope to see you next time under more enjoyable circumstances and I do hope the remainder of your trip was without surprise.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

We used this as a simple overnighter as we were going to drive to Rotorua the next day. This hotel was close to the airport and was easy for us to get on our way early the next morning.

A simple standard hotel with standard features. Nothing exciting but standard.

Breakfast bar was OK and simple. suited the purpose.

Room Tip: No comment. Rooms are cheap and cheerful. If you don't expect a lot, you won't be disappoin...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank fishinwater

Hi,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Holiday Inn Auckland Airport.

We are glad to have been a comfortable stopover for you as you travel the North Island but it sounds like we have some way to go before you will describe the hotel as a great experience rather than just good.

We hope to see you again and to be able to show you that our breakfast is anything but simple. Try the choc chip banana pancakes from the breakfast chef who mans the live cooking station at breakfast. Her omelettes are pretty awesome too.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

The Holiday Inn Auckland Airport is fast becoming my go-to hotel for Auckland stays when I don't need to be in the CBD night and day. Why? Proper treatment of frequent guests. IHG Rewards Club Platinum actually means something here. On my most recent stay, I received the correct benefits - a room upgrade (to a suite!), late checkout, free Wi-Fi, a newspaper, and so forth. Most importantly, the benefits were explained to me at checkin, even though I already knew what they should be. This means they are paying attention. I'm hardly a demanding hotel guest, but when I don't get what the chain's own rules say I'm entitled to, I'm often left with a bad taste in my mouth. No worries here, hence the 5 stars. Oh, and the parking's cheap too.

Room Tip: All rooms have modern individual a/c, so it's easy to get the temperature you prefer. If you wa...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Hi,
Thank you for taking the time to review Holiday Inn Auckland Airport. I am delighted to hear that we are your "go to hotel for Auckland".

The IHG Rewards Club really is a superb loyalty program with great benefits to guests. It is so very nice to hear that the program continues to enhance your stay here at Holiday Inn Auckland Airport.