“Feb 2013”

Airport Gateway Hotel
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Have stayed here before, hassle free. Friendly check in/out. Free airport shuttle. 5min walk to dairy and dine outs. Rooms clean and furniture practical. Will mention paying extra for air conditioned room in warmer months, however we did have a floor standing fan. Price I thought was reasonable.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed February 7, 2013

stayed here for a night before flying out to queenstown..... i booked a double room for $89 which included free continental breakfast.... they do have free shuttle service well.. which is great for the price we paid....
room was basic but cleaned and tidy.... will definately come back......

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Unfortunately we didn't have a positive experience at this hotel. After arriving into Auckland pretty late (10pm) we immediately phoned for our complimentary shuttle to the hotel. A shuttle came but we were told it wasn't for our hotel. After calling them several more times the same shuttle, same driver picked us up - we had been waiting over an hour but there was no apology from the driver for the confusion.

On arriving at the hotel it was clear it is in major need for a refurbishment. You expect some compromises in budget airport hotels but modernisation is definitely needed here.

The "continental breakfast" in the morning was basic to say the least - toast or cereal. Do not book this hotel on the basis of the breakfast being included!

Sad to say there are many better options in the same area for a similar price, until the management sorts out the shuttle and gives the place a bit of an overhaul it's recommended to avoid.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
airportgh, General Manager at Airport Gateway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Hi Matt,
I am sorry you had a bad experience with the shuttle service. It so happened that our shuttle was full and had to go to International for a pick up first. We then requested our neighbouring hotel shuttle to pick you all up and hence the delay. My due apologies.

We are in the process of renovation and the work is going on simultaneously.

I wish you all the best and hope you would try us again. I am sure you will have a pleasant stay next time.
Regards
Ajay

Reviewed January 27, 2013

I was not particularly impressed. When I made the booking, I entered my time of arrival as 11pm and the website informed me that a continental breakfast was included. When I checked in (at around 11pm) I asked where the breakfast was served and the receptionist told me that it was too late for the kitchen to pack it. If this is the case, perhaps I should not have been told that breakfast is included when I made the booking.

The room was not particularly nice either, but as it was just for one night I chose to ignore the flickering light over the bathroom vanity and the shabby décor.

I left my car at the hotel while I was away, and when I realised how late my return flight got in, I decided to book another night just to make things simpler. I didn’t want to be stumbling through the poorly lit car park at midnight so I got online and made another booking.

When I arrived and had collected my baggage, I phoned the hotel for a shuttle and was informed someone would be there to pick me up in fifteen minutes. I was instructed to wait at Entrance Four, and I asked if that was the one that had all the signs saying ‘Hotel Transfers’. The man I spoke to confirmed it was, so I sat down and waited.

After 25 minutes of watching other hotel shuttles come and go, I decided to ring the Gateway Hotel to find out where my driver was. The phone rang continuously, then a recorded message asked me to hold the line, and then I was cut off. I then tried to phone the hotel seven more times and each time I was cut off after the recorded message.

As I was extremely tired and getting rather sick of waiting in the cold I decided to get a taxi to the hotel. The taxi had a minimum charge of $37.

When I finally arrived at the hotel and asked the receptionist why no one had come to pick me up or answered the phone, he was extremely rude. Rather than apologising, he argued with me. He said that he had been there at 12.30am and he had looked for me. He said that he had checked the other guests into the hotel at 12.45am. My first phone call to the hotel was at 12.24am, so unless he broke several speed records on his way to the airport, I highly doubt that is correct.

As the receptionist was yelling at me, I felt quite threatened and was grateful the hotel had a chain lock on the door. This is because the first night that I stayed there, when I woke in the morning, despite me locking the door, it was open and the only thing keeping anyone from entering my room was the chain.

The receptionist accused me of being a liar, and I did not appreciate this at all. I felt extremely intimidated by his aggressive behaviour. Before going to my room, I asked the receptionist for his name and he told me ‘I’m not telling you, I’ll think about telling you my name in the morning’. This seemed childish.

When I checked out after my first night at the hotel, I had to present my credit card to pay for the room the morning of my departure. When I checked out the second time, the receptionist told me he had already charged my credit card but would not provide me with a print out of the bill. I asked to speak with the manager (approximately 9.10am) but was informed he was ‘half an hour away’.

I wrote to the hotel to let them know what had happened, and requested a refund for the $37 I spent on the taxi to get to the hotel. When I didn't receive a reply after several weeks, I phoned and spoke with the manager, and at his request e-mailed a copy of the letter to him. He replied saying he would look into it, but several weeks later, I've still not heard anything.

I wouldn't even reccommend this hotel to a cockroach.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank JessieR3103

Hi Jessi,
I am sorry you did not have a comfortable stay at the hotel but as written to you earlier the mistake is entirely yours. You were not standing at gate number 4 as told to you but you were at door number 9. That is the reason the shuttle driver could not locate you. He did bring other guests from the airport because they were standing at the right gate and they were checked in.

With regards to the refund of $37 for the taxi fare, I do not think, it is logical to ask as the shuttle service is a free service and any cost incurred by you to reach the hotel is not a liability of the hotel.

With regards to your accusations against the receptionist he completely denies those talks and I would beleive him as I know him for last couple of years. He is a very docile guy and respects the guests who have reasonable demands.

Moreover, I would be taking up the case with Trip advisor as to how they are allowing abusive words like Cockroach to be included in the reviews. I would request you to kindly refrain from such language as it leaves a bad taste.

Regards
Ajay

Reviewed January 26, 2013

This hotel offers basic value-for-money rooms close to the airport for that first or last day of the holiday.
Free shuttle pick-up from airport and a good free breakfast are included in the competitive rate

Room Tip: you can choose to pay more for a room with airconditioning