“Generally poor”

Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Generally poor”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Unfortunately we didn't have a positive experience at this hotel. After arriving into Auckland pretty late (10pm) we immediately phoned for our complimentary shuttle to the hotel. A shuttle came but we were told it wasn't for our hotel. After calling them several more times the same shuttle, same driver picked us up - we had been waiting over an hour but there was no apology from the driver for the confusion.

On arriving at the hotel it was clear it is in major need for a refurbishment. You expect some compromises in budget airport hotels but modernisation is definitely needed here.

The "continental breakfast" in the morning was basic to say the least - toast or cereal. Do not book this hotel on the basis of the breakfast being included!

Sad to say there are many better options in the same area for a similar price, until the management sorts out the shuttle and gives the place a bit of an overhaul it's recommended to avoid.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
airportgh, General Manager at Airport Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Hi Matt,
I am sorry you had a bad experience with the shuttle service. It so happened that our shuttle was full and had to go to International for a pick up first. We then requested our neighbouring hotel shuttle to pick you all up and hence the delay. My due apologies.

We are in the process of renovation and the work is going on simultaneously.

I wish you all the best and hope you would try us again. I am sure you will have a pleasant stay next time.
Ajay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Taupo, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

I was not particularly impressed. When I made the booking, I entered my time of arrival as 11pm and the website informed me that a continental breakfast was included. When I checked in (at around 11pm) I asked where the breakfast was served and the receptionist told me that it was too late for the kitchen to pack it. If this is the case, perhaps I should not have been told that breakfast is included when I made the booking.

The room was not particularly nice either, but as it was just for one night I chose to ignore the flickering light over the bathroom vanity and the shabby décor.

I left my car at the hotel while I was away, and when I realised how late my return flight got in, I decided to book another night just to make things simpler. I didn’t want to be stumbling through the poorly lit car park at midnight so I got online and made another booking.

When I arrived and had collected my baggage, I phoned the hotel for a shuttle and was informed someone would be there to pick me up in fifteen minutes. I was instructed to wait at Entrance Four, and I asked if that was the one that had all the signs saying ‘Hotel Transfers’. The man I spoke to confirmed it was, so I sat down and waited.

After 25 minutes of watching other hotel shuttles come and go, I decided to ring the Gateway Hotel to find out where my driver was. The phone rang continuously, then a recorded message asked me to hold the line, and then I was cut off. I then tried to phone the hotel seven more times and each time I was cut off after the recorded message.

As I was extremely tired and getting rather sick of waiting in the cold I decided to get a taxi to the hotel. The taxi had a minimum charge of $37.

When I finally arrived at the hotel and asked the receptionist why no one had come to pick me up or answered the phone, he was extremely rude. Rather than apologising, he argued with me. He said that he had been there at 12.30am and he had looked for me. He said that he had checked the other guests into the hotel at 12.45am. My first phone call to the hotel was at 12.24am, so unless he broke several speed records on his way to the airport, I highly doubt that is correct.

As the receptionist was yelling at me, I felt quite threatened and was grateful the hotel had a chain lock on the door. This is because the first night that I stayed there, when I woke in the morning, despite me locking the door, it was open and the only thing keeping anyone from entering my room was the chain.

The receptionist accused me of being a liar, and I did not appreciate this at all. I felt extremely intimidated by his aggressive behaviour. Before going to my room, I asked the receptionist for his name and he told me ‘I’m not telling you, I’ll think about telling you my name in the morning’. This seemed childish.

When I checked out after my first night at the hotel, I had to present my credit card to pay for the room the morning of my departure. When I checked out the second time, the receptionist told me he had already charged my credit card but would not provide me with a print out of the bill. I asked to speak with the manager (approximately 9.10am) but was informed he was ‘half an hour away’.

I wrote to the hotel to let them know what had happened, and requested a refund for the $37 I spent on the taxi to get to the hotel. When I didn't receive a reply after several weeks, I phoned and spoke with the manager, and at his request e-mailed a copy of the letter to him. He replied saying he would look into it, but several weeks later, I've still not heard anything.

I wouldn't even reccommend this hotel to a cockroach.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank JessieR3103
Hi Jessi,
I am sorry you did not have a comfortable stay at the hotel but as written to you earlier the mistake is entirely yours. You were not standing at gate number 4 as told to you but you were at door number 9. That is the reason the shuttle driver could not locate you. He did bring other guests from the airport because they were standing at the right gate and they were checked in.

With regards to the refund of $37 for the taxi fare, I do not think, it is logical to ask as the shuttle service is a free service and any cost incurred by you to reach the hotel is not a liability of the hotel.

With regards to your accusations against the receptionist he completely denies those talks and I would beleive him as I know him for last couple of years. He is a very docile guy and respects the guests who have reasonable demands.

Moreover, I would be taking up the case with Trip advisor as to how they are allowing abusive words like Cockroach to be included in the reviews. I would request you to kindly refrain from such language as it leaves a bad taste.

Ajay

Travelers are raving about these Mangere hotels

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

This hotel offers basic value-for-money rooms close to the airport for that first or last day of the holiday.
Free shuttle pick-up from airport and a good free breakfast are included in the competitive rate

Room Tip: you can choose to pay more for a room with airconditioning
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hamilton, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

have stayed in few hotels near airport and i found gateway as a best option..... allthough property is old but its still maintained pretty well.... me and my husband booked a deluxe room at $99 with 2 continental b/f and which also include free car park for 14 days and free pick up drop off from the airport....... So, whole pack is very gud and cheap as well...
will recommend to our friends
and will definetaly came back.....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

Stayed in room 101 for couple of nights with my family it was awesome. One of my friend recommended this hotel to us. It was spacious and clean place. Continental breakfast was basic but gud for the price we paid.overall gud experience will definitely stay again next time we visit our friends in Auckland .

• Stayed December 2012
Timaru, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed reluctantly for 6 nights, prebooked and paid, Tired, dated, clean but only because of the housekeeping staff who were the only ones who smiled during our stay and made us welcome each morning when they saw us (they get the thumbs up and my tip.)
Continental breakfast provided was only adequate. One choice of bread (white and thin cut only). Had to ask for spoons to eat cereal (at 7.30 when breakfast bar opened). Tables not cleaned away after patrons had left area. Not a good sight. It would appear that the male staff in the breakfast area and at front of house could not be bothered or it was too much trouble to offer any service or smiles and you felt not welcome. It was rather they were displaying a lazy and couldn't care less approach to the customers. When female staff were at reception there was a slight improvement.
Parking was a shambles in fromt of hotyel only because spaces are used for storage of vehicles.
I will not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
airportgh, General Manager at Airport Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Hi Barbara,
I am sorry for the uncomfortable stay that you had with us and I thank you for the review because we take it as a scope of improvement.
The staff concerned have been suitably warned and a word of appreciation has been conveyed to the house keeping staff. I thank you for that.
I am sure if you plan your next stay with us you shall feel more welcomed.
Kind Regards
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

Rude unfriendly unhelpful staff and ugly dirty rooms very basic. Close to airport and city. It was very quite and we had a good nights sleep. If you miss breakfast by 1 minute you missed it Dont expect to much you get what you pay for.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
airportgh, General Manager at Airport Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Hi Sir,
My due apology for the inconvience caused to you during your stay with us.
The staff concerned has been suitably warned and I am sure it shall not be repeated again.
The property is old and is undergoing renovation in stages. I am sure your next stay would be much more pleasent.