“slow pickup, uncomfortable bed”

Airport Gateway Hotel
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand
“slow pickup, uncomfortable bed”
Reviewed July 14, 2011

we flew in early evening on domestic flight and were flying out in morning international so booked this motel as it was close. There are lotsmof other motels closer so dont be fooled by the name. The airport motel is close to airport but its stil 5km away. We phoned the hotel when we had our luggage and were told we woulf be picked up within 15 minutes. It was frezing cold and wet. After 25 minutes and no pick up we phoned again. They said they would be 5 minutes. we made another phone call after 35 minutes. 40 minutes after we called we were picked up. We were freezing. When we got to airport gateway hotel the reception was busy on a personal phone call and was in no hurry to hang up. we booked a room for 2 adults and 2 teenagers. a foldup bed was left outside our room and we had to shift furniture to fit it in. in the process my husband crushed and cut his hand on glass tabel. CAution the glass is just sitting on table and is not fixed and moves. the queen bed was very uncomfortable. the slighest movement and the bed shuddered all night. when we did get sleep we were woken by late arrivals and were woken again by room nexy door at 4 30am as they obviously had real early flight. the restaurant was good and the burgers popular. the good thing about this hotel was the heat pump in the room. they were warm and clean. Shower didnt work well. I definitely wouldnt stay again. i think we were overcharged for 120 dollars for the night.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank nzp0ppy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed June 6, 2011

i travelled as a single traveller and got a very good deal at $55 a night. This included a free pick up and drop off to the airport which was very handy, as i was catching a early morning flight. The hotel though old is nice and clean and the rooms very comfortable. The staff is friendly and cheerful and go an extra mile to welcome you and make your trip comfortable.
i would recommend this place to people who are on a short halt in auckland and would like to stay next to the airport.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank viv72
NZ
Reviewed June 3, 2011

We found this quite handy to stay the night and we had free car parking while we were away for two weeks , rather than get up at the crack of dawn to drive to the airport for our flight. Will most probably do it again . The room was clean and tidy .We had breakfast as part of the deal . I found that a bit odd arriving for breakfast at 0700 , the breakfast room still locked .It was not opened until nearly 0715 . The room was freezing cold .Obviously was not expecting many for breakfast . It was cooked to order . A ride to the airport was also included and a pick up on return . I wish they would have said when we rang on our return it would take an hour to be picked up as we had arrived from a night flight and was feeling a bit off colour .We could have sat and had a cup of tea etc instead of waiting outside in the freezing cold .However will probably do it again .It was just so wonderful to stay and have the parking .

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 1, 2011

I arrived in Auckland at 5.30am and had paid extra to be able to check in as early as possible. I was then kept waiting nearly an hour for the free airport shuttle which was fairly annoying, despite being told when calling that it would only be a 20 minutes wait. Rooms are dated but adequate for catching up on sleep between flights and the price was right. I would stay again although would likely catch a taxi to the hotel next time. Shuttle service returning to the airport was fine.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank TG119
Queenstown, New Zealand
Reviewed May 29, 2011

We enjoyed our stay at gateway hotel. Staff is very friendly. We like the shuttle service. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Wanaka
Reviewed May 24, 2011

I was apprehensive about staying here after reading some of the reviews - however I had a good experience.

Shuttle picked me up within 5 minutes of my calling. Check in and check out was quick and efficient - okay the rooms are a little tired and dated - but keep in mind this was one of the first motels/hotels built out at the Airport.

I had a nice meal in the restaurant at night and a complimentary full cooked breakfast was included with my stay. I paid $69 (corporate single stay) and in my view this was very good value for money. I found the staff very polite and helpful.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed May 23, 2011

I left my case on their counter when checking out, and phoned them five minutes later on the way to the airport when i realised. They assured me they had already taken my case and would lock it in the safe until it could be sent back to me. Over one month later when they finally sent the case after multiple calls and emails, i found that my IPOD had been stolen. When i called and spoke to the manager he told me that he had been away at the time, and the case had not been locked away as i was told it would be, but had been left out on a table in the staff room for the past month. He went on to say that as he was not personally there at the time he could not be held responsible and would not be replacing my ipod or contributing to replacing it. If you value your possesions dont stay here, at least one of the staff are dishonest.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
airportgh, General Manager at Airport Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, May 26, 2011
I am sorry for your loss, but, however I do not agree to your allegations that our staff has stolen your IPod. We have a history of returning guests Cameras, Mobile phones and even Duty free bags loaded with Liquor and perfumes.

Yours was an enclosed bag and the contents of it are not known to us. It was posted back to you the way we found it and we have had no complaints of staff stealing stuff earlier.I am quite surprised that you feel that way.

I had even offered you a free 1 night stay at our property to compensate you for your ill feeelings for us, though I do not agree that one of our staff has stolen your stuff. This was just as a goodwill gesture, however you declined that offer.

Travelers are raving about these Mangere hotels