“STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS”

Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Rotorua
“STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS”
Reviewed April 23, 2009

What an eye opener. Sad to see such accommodation exists in New Zealand. Right from arriving our hearts sank. Certainly not what the website portrayed. We were welcomed by an overgrown garden and ride-on lawnmower in pieces (which was still there a week later). Very grotty looking place and the staff were hard to understand.
Our units looked like something the health inspector could have alot of fun with. One room's ceiling sagged badly from a water leak. All 3 units we booked were dirty and stunk of stale something. The shower, which was quite a climb, had hardly any pressure, let alone water. Sliding door lock was broken...etc, etc. Were very suspicious if bedding had been changed and suspicions were answered on our arrival back one week later. NO. Unbelievable. Item planted under sheet was still there! At 1.30am we were in the office getting fresh bedding and making our beds.
Also trod in animal poo on the mat outside our room. Totally gross.
Will never stay there again. Need to get their act together or close down.
DISGUSTING!!!

• Stayed April 2009
1 Thank Kiwichick007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Wellington
Reviewed February 21, 2009

I booked this motel on the basis of price and their internet site/pictures. WHAT A CON!! After arriving from Sydney with my husband and 5 children, we were picked up at the airport with a very mediocre welcome. I hoped this wasn't a sign of things to come. Arrived to a dirty, rubbish strewn entrance. The place was dirty, with curtains hanging down off the rails in some rooms. Not impressed at all. One thing I will say though is that the guy that checked us in was very friendly.
Our room was nothing like the pictures advertised. It was very dated. It did not have an ensuite as their website suggests. Many of the latches on the windows were broken. The windows were dirty. The toilet was dirty. The toilet wobbled. It also had a bowl on the floor behind it to catch leaking water. It was just DIRTY! I ordered takeaways to be delivered to our room but my husband refused to eat in the place. My daughter wouldn't go to the toilet. After 2 hours we decicded it was time to find somewhere else, cut our losses and leave. They thankfully had wireless internet so we could search for another motel and check out taxi services. We found the Ventura Inn who thankfully had 2 rooms that could accommodate us. I informed the guy on reception at the Airport Air of our intentions to leave and he was very good about it. He didn't sound that surprised at all. He said we would lose 20% of our rate, and then on inspection of the room when we left, he thought 30% would cover the cost of cleaning the bathroom (I'd given my 3 sons a bath), and tidying the place a bit. I thought we'd done a pretty good job of tidying up after ourselves but chose not to fight it. We were glad to get out of the place. My husband would have been happy to forfeit the whole $160. I would have made a stand at that suggestion myself. Anyway, it's all turned out great. We are now at the Ventura Inn. We arrived to a lovely, inviting, clean, air conditioned motel and rooms. We were received with a very warm and friendly welcome. We were informed of the free continental breakfast which was a welcome surprise. We all had a swim and spa, and are now settling down to lovely, warm, comfortable beds.
To anyone thinking of staying here - if you can afford to - DON'T. Our room also looked out onto the rubbish filled backyard of the neighbours. Not that you can do anything about your neighbours, but it's just an indication of the area this motel is located in. Go and stay somewhere else. You may have to pay more, but we feel soooo much better being at the Ventura and are grateful we aren't at the Airport Tavel Air anymore. Two hours there was two hours too long.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank npec214

Travelers are raving about these Mangere hotels

Kaiwaka, Northland
Reviewed February 2, 2009

I found this place via wotif.com. Thought it sounded and looked okay, and for NZ$78 per night thought I had a bargain. If only I knew then what I know now!

I booked online for a four-night stay, and paid up-front at that time for the entire booking (mistake!, though I must say I have had other more successful bookings via wotif.com in the past and will continue to use the site). Upon arrival all seemed okay, and I was given the key to an upstairs room overlooking the car park. It was certainly cleaner than others have reported here, but extremely basic and worn.

My first concerns were the bathroom. The tap on the handbasin was not anchored, so every time I lifted the lever to turn the tap on I had to hold it down with the other hand. The shower was very raised - a good foot off the ground, and I was not comfortable with the big step down to the bathroom floor from the shower, even with a hand rail at the side to assist me.

There was so little supplied that I ran out of toilet paper in the short time I was there!

The "kitchen" consisted of a bench, a small fridge, two coffee cups, two glasses, and one teaspoon. A teatowel, but no other washing-up supplies. The usual tea and coffee in sachets (though I like to take my own even when staying in more up-market places).

The wireless internet that had been advertised turned out to be an unsecured network, and I did not like logging on to it to check my mail, and didn't do anything else online while I was there.

Then I had my first (and only) night there. Cars came and went all night long, including ones that gave a loud beep as the alarm was turned off and on, and I barely slept a wink.

Next day, the unit was not serviced during the day. Yuck! I also noticed as I returned a sign promoting a "day rate" - what sort of place does a day rate, I asked myself.

During the evening, as my discomfort increased, I found the reviews at this site. Wish I'd found them sooner and not gone there at all. By 8pm I had come to the point where I did not feel safe any more, as a woman on her own, and called a hotel down the road and booked myself in there for the remaining three nights. What a different world! Give me the Centra Airport any day, it was much, much better (which is probably the only positive thing I can say in this review).

I returned to the motel two days later, with a friend from the conference I was attending, and found that the room had been serviced during that time. Too late! My friend agreed with me that the place was appalling and I was right to leave.

Oh, I do have one positive note about the place - despite its close proximity to the airport, I never heard any aircraft while I was there.

I will never go to this motel again, and it has made me suspicious of budget accommodation for future trips.

• Liked — cheap price - but what a cost!
  • Disliked — lack of cleaning and feeling of security
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank wendyh65
Wanganui
Reviewed November 20, 2007

We arrived in Auckland late on Thurs night via their supplied shuttle which I must say smelled badly of cigarette smoke. On arrival at the office it too smelled this way. As it was dark we were unable to see the condition of the surrounding grounds but upon seeing this in the morning, we were totally dumbfounded. We arrived in our room to find it looked nothing like it was advertised on the internet, the room was in a terrible condition. Mould, broken doors, kitchen benches broken and cracked, stains of unknown origin on the beds, floor and the carpets and the shower just dribbled out. The rooms had an odd musty smell. Also a member of our group's handbag had gone missing. The lady at the front desk that morning seemed reluctant to phone the shuttle driver to see if it was still in the shuttle and after being away for the day was told he didn't find it. No restaurant, no sky tv and frankly we are severely disappointed in paying for the room when we were led there under false advertising on the internet. Wish we had read this site before we booked to stay there. Shocking condition of the place, run down and signs with graffiti on them. Wouldn't recommend this place to anyone, too higher price for a dodgy dump.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank WanganuiTabs
London
Reviewed May 12, 2007

The main feature of this accommodation was the lack of cleanliness. The carpets were heavily stained, the bed covers were dirty and there was an all-pervading unpleasant odour. There was a shuttle bus to a local restaurant at 6pm, although we were not informed of this when we arrived. The alternative food source was free 'home-delivery' of an unappertising but adequate Chinese/Indian meal.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank cumulusLondon
Wanganui
Reviewed July 16, 2006

We stayed here one night because we wanted to be close to the airport. We chose this motor inn from the net because it looked basic but clean. The reality was very different from the glossy netsite. The place looks neglected from the entrance. Near the reception area there was a cat litter box.
The odour of cat urine was so bad in the first unit we were given that we asked to go to another unit. The second unit had a stale cigarette smoke smell.
In the advertising in the AA Accommodation guide it states that there is a restaurant. This is not the case. As there are no restaurants close by we ordered food that the owner has brought in from somewhere else. After one hour we were presented with "roast of the day " , which cost $15.00 each. This consisted of a minute piece of roast potato a small spoonful of frozen mixed vegetables and two slices of beef on a plastic picnic plate.
We had to get the owner to come across and put a central light bulb in as the main light in the room did not go and when we got into bed we found a large tear in the sheet.
This motor inn is not a Best Western although it still seems to be advertised as such in some places. We would not recommend it as a place to stay.

• Stayed July 2006
2 Thank locatelli
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 30, 2006

We stayed in a one bedroom family unit at this motel for one night. We had read advertisements and seen pictures in Jasons Accommodation Directory and the AA Accommodation Guide. Both were most misleading. These books state the motel has an excellent in-house restaurant - there is no restaurant!! The pictures showed modern attractive decor. Our room was disgusting. The bedspreads did not cover the beds properly so shabby bases were exposed. The springs were exposed in one bed in the lounge and the mattress was partially covered with a foam squab that was only half length. One of the dining chairs had no springs, and just a piece of board underneath to prevent the cushion from falling through. The dish cloth in the kitchen was filthy and the pot scrubbing part was totally worn. The bathroom was mouldy. Skirting boards in the lounge were rotten. The glass door into the lounge had a venetian blind halfway down, the rest was all broken so at night the outside lights intruded. The lawns were unkempt and at the side of the unit were about 12 inches high, and at the rear about 6 inches high. The charges for this motel are similar to other places but the quality is not there. We do not recommend this motel at all.

• Stayed January 2006