“Super cool atmosphere & yummy food!”
Review of Szimpla Gastro Bar

Szimpla Gastro Bar
Ranked #2 of 28 Restaurants in Mangere
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Szimpla Gastro Bar is a new concept bar & restaurant located under the ibis budget Hotel at Auckland Airport, not far from Mangere Bridge, Manukau. A home away from home for visitors to New Zealand staying in neighbouring hotels and an exciting new social venue for members of the local business community and nearby suburbs. With its rustic Kiwi charm, top-notch hospitality, delicious grub and range of brews.
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Such a cool bar and restaurant to hang out in... I told my friends to expect "Jungle Vintage" as the style if they ever visited! I hung out earlier in the day for a cheeky sav in the bit slightly outside with cool vintage couches which was really nice to relax in. It had heaps of different areas you could choose from. The lady who served me was really friendly. I ended up going back for dinner and had a burger... SO good.. gourmet burger with fries and a big glass of cider. The chicken had been chargrilled so was super tasty. Their menu looked pretty good. I was staying at the Ibis beside Szimpla so was a nice and interesting place to hang out. I think the burger and drink I had was about $22-$25 about average price and definitely worth it for the size of the meal, so full afterwards! :) I would love to visit again one day and actually hang out there with friends for a night, thanks!

Reviewed April 17, 2014

Good beer selection, ample servings, and no rush environment. Free WiFi was a plus also!
We have fish and lamb, and both were very good. This is a cut above the usual airport fare!

Reviewed March 30, 2014

I have been very fortunate and been here twice and am eagerly waiting to go back. The service was great and sincere staff who actually took a minute or two to say hello. The beer selection was good especially on a hot summers day. Check out the new learners family mountain bike track and walkways behind the building- consequently I had worked up an appetite. I recommend the asparagus rolls - never had them like that before. Enjoy.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

This was the second time I've eaten here while staying at the adjacent Ibis hotel. I don't remember how it was last time, but I was very disappointed this time. The man I ordered from at the counter was distracted and I don't think ever made eye contact with me. It turned out that I received the wrong dish, but it was also vegetarian, so I ate it. I think it was a souffle, and it was totally cold in the middle. It came out very quickly after I ordered, so I certainly would have been happy to wait 2 more minutes for a better reheat. I wish there were another option in this plaza for dinner. I don't eat fast food, and the other decent options nearby close early.

Tash B, Owner at Szimpla Gastro Bar, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your experience with us. We take great pride in offering good quality food and excellent service so can only apologise that neither of these met you expectations on this occasion. I do hope that you return and give us the opportunity to serve you, if you make yourself known to the Manager we will make sure that we look after you.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

We were staying at the Ibis next door and ate here for lunch and dinner as we liked it so much. The menu was interesting and varied and the food was very tasty. We also enjoyed the atmosphere, It did not feel like an airport restaurant. The decor was eclectic but felt cosy.