“Surprising find.”
Review of Szimpla Gastro Bar

Szimpla Gastro Bar
Ranked #1 of 28 Restaurants in Mangere
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Szimpla Gastro Bar is a new concept bar & restaurant located under the ibis budget Hotel at Auckland Airport, not far from Mangere Bridge, Manukau. A home away from home for visitors to New Zealand staying in neighbouring hotels and an exciting new social venue for members of the local business community and nearby suburbs. With its rustic Kiwi charm, top-notch hospitality, delicious grub and range of brews.
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Having just arrived back from a weekend away we were looking for somewhere close to Auckland Airport to have dinner. Szimpla being just down the road fit the bill and we decided to give it a go even though initially I had my mind set on Thai. So glad we did. Being a Tuesday night it was fairly quiet in the restaurant but we certainly weren't the only diners there. Service was prompt and courteous in a friendly relaxed way. We had a 17month old with us and he was given some crayons and paper to play with which was great. The meals were very very tasty, the Moroccan chicken was amazingly succulent and the coating was delicious. The lemon in the reduction accompanying the pork belly lifted the whole meal and gave it a freshness you don't usually get with porkbelly. We ordered a side of vegetables to share and these were perfectly cooked and delicious as well. So often the sides are a let down but not this time! For desert we had the crème brulee which was fantastic and the ginger pudding which was nice but nothing special(but that may just be compared to the rest of the food). The price was what you'd expect for the Auckland area and I felt it was well worth it as I was stuffed full and couldn't finish my desert. There was a small communication problem with the making of my Chai Latte but another one was made without any issues and it was very nice as well. Given that I'm usually very hard to please when it comes to dinners out this was a fantastic find, we will be back to try the new menu when next in Auckland!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

we were not impressed with the offering at our hotel so a quick trip on the free shuttle bus got us to Szimpla there were 13 of us the staff were friendly and the service fantastic the menue even better

Reviewed October 8, 2013

If you are staying at the Airport Ibis there aren't too many options within walking distance. MacDonalds doesn't really appeal. Szimpla is next door to the Ibis so it was easy to amble in early on a Saturday night. Place was full and fairly noisy. The menu was pretty orthodox and the choice of a crisp pork belly on garlic mash was made. The food appeared on time and was edible without really testing the taste buds. This plus a beer came out at just under $40 which might be reasonable for Auckland but is a bit steep for a lad from the provinces.
Waitperson was amiable enough though promised French Onion Soup which didn't materialise. Apparently it was meant to be white onion soup.

Ambience - well the crowd was loud and noisy and enjoying themselves.
Upside the meal was sustaining. Downside a bit expensive and average quality, I would rate it as comfort food..

Would I go back? - if I am stuck in the Ibis again without wheels then I will probably have to.

Jrgee

Reviewed September 27, 2013

I wish this restaurant was not a 3 hour flight away I would go every week. Loved the food and the décor is like being in someone's living room. the tables are all different doors, complete with knobs. there is also a small sitting area with couches and a beautiful plant filled area adjacent. But, I think that may be for smokers, which was too bad as it was very nice. Went twice during our stay at the Ibis next door. They do a mean Irish Coffee which was much appreciated considering the weather was horrid.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

This was our second visit the venue
the first was not good and I did not review as food was a disappointment
How ever we decieded to give the place another go and We were all happy with the choice
I choose the Fijian curry with rice which was very well cooked the lamb very succulant
the morrocan chicken with couscous had graet flavours and the chicken was cooked well
the lads who are like mobile vacuum cleaners had the chicken burgers and fries which they liked
service was good and friendly
well done