“Excellent hotel.”

Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Newcastle, Australia
“Excellent hotel.”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Near Airport. Fantastic staff. Douglas was our favourite. Staff were very helpful. There was a wedding on and the staff made sure we didn't feel uncomfortable. Nice room. Wine very over priced and no minibar.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I don't expect much from an airport hotel.

Most are just mundane, rock up late from your flight, head out early to your next flight, dreary hotels with no atmosphere.

This one - well it kinda surprised me. In a good way.

I was in Auckland for business meetings one day, but had a 6.30am flight to Queenstown for the next day, and then the following day a drive south from Auckland to Rotorua (or RotoVegas as I hear the locals call it!), and thought better to stay close to the airport and car hire places for ease of travel.

The hotel lobby is functional, but was immediately asked on arrival if i need assistance with my luggage, and this immediate service continued through my stay.On check in, was the prompt about a wake up call service (can't remember the last time I was asked this!) and the following morning was bang on time, with an automated system, with a personal reminder 5 mins later!

The following night after I got back to my room - just after I had finished my room service dinner, I had a call from reception - asking as I had had a wake up call that morning did I need need one for the following day.

Breakky the next morning, I headed into the slightly unglamorous restaurant, but clean and well laid out. The wait staff suggested head to a particular corner (what we me being in a suit?) which "will be a bit quieter, as we have a large group about to head in, and you might not want to sit in between them". Brilliant!

The next brekky morning, I was at the brekky desk waiting to be seated, and there were three guys ahead of me trying to argue with the wait staff about if brekky was included or not, Immediately a staff member came past, grabbed me, an seated me, telling me "I'll come sort out your details soon, just get yourself some breakfast first".

Both mornings I was also immediately offered plunger coffee in an instant too.

Service is what made this place "not an airport hotel" - and it seriously takes a lot to make this grumpy old man smile!

But then there was the room. Not the Ritz, I'll grant you, but for a business traveler, it just does it all (mostly all), Plug socket by the bed to connect my phone each night. Plug socket near a shelf to charge my iPad. Plug socket under the desk to connect my laptop.

Iron and Ironing board that were both in working order and decent nick. AND a plug socket in reach of a location where the ironing board could actually be set-up (how many bathrooms have I had to plug the iron into and squeeze the iron board into.

Trifecta of plugs / ironing + board and space!

My "mostly all",,,? Shower head at chest height... hmmmmm. I'm only 6", but that could have been better.

Room service each night, delivered quickly correctly and HOT.

The hotel has no mini bar, and they proudly proclaim this is saving them in power bills (I suppose they are right) but I was on the 6th floor which had a fridge full of free bottles of water for the occupants of this floor, which is a nice touch.

Not what one expects from an airport hotel, and Kudos for the builders / designers to get it right, and the hotel staff to carry the service off with a smile!

Room Tip: 6th floor rooms, overlooking some transport warehouse. Was not a sign of noise at all!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Craig D
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is impressive.
My daughter and I picked up a hire car from this place and the same night discovered our accommodation had fallen through, so we rang and booked this hotel.
The rooms are clean! So clean and beautifully presented without being too clinical. The decor is welcoming and the staff are very friendly and accommodating.
Thank you Sudima.

• Stayed January 2013
Benitachell Spain
Reviewed January 27, 2013

This hotel is ideally placed a few steps from the airport accommodation is fine hotel a little tired needs some paintwork touching up, bedroom large big bed shower fine and it was clean. Food in restaurant very good coconsidering there was a convention staying

S
A

!
Out

Room Tip: Sorry don't have a tip rooms pretty much the same although on airport road you don't hear tr...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Have stayed here previously and the rooms are always spotless. The staff are friendly. I love the pool and gym facilities. I have had food from the bar menu and was delicious and good size portions. Great for airport and business stayovers.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Modern, clean hotel in a light industrial area near Auckland airport. The only reason to stay here is to catch a flight or to spend the night after a long trans-Pacific trip. Ask for a room on a higher floor so you don't look at large garages. If you're high enough, you can see two or three nearby volcano cones (Auckland has more than 50 volcanoes in the city limits). Breakfast is expensive and rather sparse but does have an Asian section which you can have even if you've only purchased the cold, Continental breakfast. Would not recommend for dinner but then again, there is nowhere else to eat except to take the shuttle back to the airport and that's not recommended either. Unless, of course, you have a car - but we did not. Swimming pool was not yet ready but will be soon. The hotel desperately needs some landscaped grounds where you can sit outside, in the sun, and relax. Nowhere to take a walk unless you like looking at industrial buildings. Clean, modern and serviceable but not great.

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor to avoid a view of light industrial buildings.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank harpsncats
Australia
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I've stayed at the Sudima a handful of times over the past year, most recently in December 2012.

The staff members are polite enough, the rooms comfortable enough ... everything is just 'enough'. And that seems to be the problem. The Sudima is enough as a near-airport hotel (don't let the name fool you; you need to take the free bus or a taxi to get there from the airport), but just not great in any way.

I'll no doubt stay there again, probably next time I travel through Auckland, but it's just not that exciting. There are better places to stay for a similar price, both near the airport and in the city. But if you do end up at the Sudima you shouldn't have anything to complain about.

If there were a 'Good' rating between 'Average' and 'Very Good', then that's where I'd put the Sudima. As it is, it's a bit better than Average, but not quite Very Good.

Room Tip: I've stayed in a few different ones. They all seem much the same.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business