“Same property?”

Ranked #22 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Berkeley, California
“Same property?”
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

I'm confused by reviews that reference refurbished rooms and amenities. We checked in after an international flight and it was only exhaustion that kept us from turning around and walking out. A grimy, stale smoke-smelling lobby and hallway, no restaurant facilities whatsoever (probably a lucky thing). Our room had some minor cosmetic updates - newish polyester bedspreads liberally coated in what appeared to be a combination of various human and animal hairs. Seriously nasty. Our room was $130, which may be a few dollars cheaper than nearby properties, but I can't imagine why anyone would stay here voluntarily.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank sundogg99
travellers6602, Owner at Travellers International Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feed back on your recent stay. I am a little saddened and confused as to the remarks you have made as also to reply to a review this way. As i posted in a review prior ! we are new owners here and have done a major refurbishment, having just spent many thousands of dollars on stage one of our complex the room you had as well as the others we have renovated have had more than just a cosmetic update. Having done the work my self all in there is brand new from wiring, wall boards, light fittings, beds down to the tea spoons. Perhaps the color black for the bed covers was the wrong choice as they show any little blemish, but they diffidently do not contain any animal hairs. We have had a hold up with opening of our restaurant, but this will open shortly and apologies for this. We are not aiming to be a 10 star accommodation provider but have every intention to provide the best possible service and facilities that we possibly can for you the guest.

Regards Richard B (owner )

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

The bad: we couldn't reach the hotel to call for a shuttle and so we had to take a taxi from the airport; the lobby reeks of stale cigarette smoke; the new-looking black bedspreads are so completely coated in stains, dust, and hair (long and short) that we shivered all night under top sheets only. The little heater in the room isn't up to the task. Finally, the wifi code that we got at check-in only worked with one device. Perhaps they'd have given us another one, but we were already settled in for the night by the time we noticed the problem.

The good: the hotel reduced our rate because of the shuttle thing; the stale smoke smell didn't reach our room's interior; and the shower's water pressure, as described by so many others here, is wonderful.

What it comes down to is this: we planned to stay here another night at the end of our trip, but we just can't do it. There's not enough water pressure at the bottom of Niagara Falls to feel clean after a night anywhere near that bedspread.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank peppah
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feed back on your recent stay and am sorry to here you where not that satisfied with your stay. As for your comment's, i feel they are a little bit hard but we have taken them as a positive to move forward with our goals. We are new owners here and have just recently reopened the complex after doing a major refurbishment which was required as for the many previous comments on this site. There are always teething problem's when opening any new business as unfortunately our phone system did go down when you did try to call. Our complex is non smoking and have now made the designated smoking area further away from our front door. We do offer free wifi and the system provides a code for one device, but rest assured should you have asked for another our staff would have been more than happy to have provided you with another. Should you ever visit New Zealand again we would like to offer to you a more satisfactory experience should you choose to stay with us again.

Best Regards Richard ( Owner )

Travelers are raving about these Mangere hotels

Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand
Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

So all we wanted was somewhere clean, with a decent bed, no noise, a fantastic shower, and close proximity to the AKL airport. Job done. The new (ish) owner (ex builder) has taken on the skeleton of a derelict motel that was abandoned and left to decompose. He's on the right track. He'll probably get there especially because of his Tradey pedigree. So in short - if your a good old kiwi that wants a great deal (clean, tidy, fantastic shower, 24hr courtesy van to the airport - and back) and no hassle to get to the airport on time = easy recommendation. If your a prissy posey that will take offence to the smoking by the font door that you can smell through the building, the odd light doesn't work, the Manager doesn't walk you through essentials like how to get on the fee wifi.....go somewhere else.
We will use again (context: Airport On Site Novotel was $130 extra problem night PLUs then you need to organise and pay for parking). I know my choice for next time - here again

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sarah G
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed May 22, 2014

Stayed two nights while attending a conference. We found the staff very friendly and helpful. Our room was excellent, spacious, well maintained and clean. Meals were very good and carparking about 20 metres from the Hotel's entrance. From reading some older reviews it appears that the Airport Inn has had major work done as we could not fault either the hotel or the service. We will definately stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Peter C
bristol , england
Reviewed May 14, 2014

This motel has recently been refurbished and we had no complaints about our room which was modern ,clean and comfortable. The beds were very comfortable with what seemed like brande new sheets. This motel seems to have recently changed hands and the owner was very helpful. He met us at the airport and took us back there.
One thing there is no restaurant but as there are several about 5 mins walk away this was no problem. There is a fridge in the room with tea,coffee and milk provided. The pool area is attractiv ewith a reasonable sized pool.

Room Tip: our room faced the pool and was very quiet
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank retcouple2
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Stayed here last night and had to write a comment!!! Did not read all the comments on here as we just drove in, otherwise we would not have stayed, glad we did!!! There are new owners and the whole place has had a complete makeover. The room we were given was an absolute 4 star!!! A few things to finish outside owner said he was just finishing them. Travel out of airport a lot so will definitely be back!!!! Will put a photo up soon. :-))

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Paul7591
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I needed somewhere to stay near the airport the night before an early night at the last minute, and everywhere else was full or silly expensive. I read the reviews here in TP and thought people must have been exaggerating, but I assure you they weren't.
I cannot describe how horrid and grubby this place is. I have included a few photos to show what I mean. The fridge was mouldy, the whole place smelt of urine, the shower didn't work, light bulbs where missing, tiles/carpet was peeling, also there was some interesting stains on the carpet and bedding. I actually had an argument with the reception guy about replacing a couple of lightbulbs just so I could see to use the bathroom. I was informed that he wasn't paid to do DIY like replace lightbulbs and he reluctantly gave me one lightbulb to put in myself, despite there being three missing/not working. The floor was so dirty I didn't dare take my shoes off. And I slept that night fully dress on top of the bed on a couple of clean towels I'd brought with me. As you can imagine I didn't sleep well and I wish I'd of had my car with me as I would have rather stayed in there.
Avoid at all costs!