“Avoid at all costs!”

Ranked #22 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
New York City, New York
“Avoid at all costs!”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I needed somewhere to stay near the airport the night before an early night at the last minute, and everywhere else was full or silly expensive. I read the reviews here in TP and thought people must have been exaggerating, but I assure you they weren't.
I cannot describe how horrid and grubby this place is. I have included a few photos to show what I mean. The fridge was mouldy, the whole place smelt of urine, the shower didn't work, light bulbs where missing, tiles/carpet was peeling, also there was some interesting stains on the carpet and bedding. I actually had an argument with the reception guy about replacing a couple of lightbulbs just so I could see to use the bathroom. I was informed that he wasn't paid to do DIY like replace lightbulbs and he reluctantly gave me one lightbulb to put in myself, despite there being three missing/not working. The floor was so dirty I didn't dare take my shoes off. And I slept that night fully dress on top of the bed on a couple of clean towels I'd brought with me. As you can imagine I didn't sleep well and I wish I'd of had my car with me as I would have rather stayed in there.
Avoid at all costs!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank anniepants

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Napier, New Zealand
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Stayed here in May 2011 (bit of a late review). Rooms were ok, comfortable beds and pretty standard amenities. Bathroom was clean. Had a meal in the onsite restaurant which was tasty. Airport shuttle was good, picked us up on time and delivered us to our early international flight to Fiji. All and all had an OK stay at Travellers International. Probably wouldnt stay for more than one night - no frills accommodation.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank thisisityou
melbourne
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Every single review here is right. This place would not be allowed to continue to trade in any civilised country of the world. I blame the local regulatory authorities rather than the foreign based nationals who are trying to make a few bucks. By the way, the "airport transfers" are definitely one way - they will collect you from the airport, but they will refuse to take you to the airport. It even says as much on their website, which the owner will point out to you in the fine print when you try to book your shuttle. Just point out to him that the website also shows a functioning swimming pool and spa, which is so hilarious I can only laugh at the memory. I don't have unreasonable expectations of budget accommodation, but this place really should be avoided on grounds of health and safety.

Room Tip: If you don't want a leaking toilet, broken crockery, fire hoses down the hall, and various other...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank steven h

Travelers are raving about these Mangere hotels

Irvine, California
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I spent one night here after arriving in Auckland and that was more than enough.

First of all, as everyone else has mentioned, the rooms are in terrible condition. The floor of my shower had cracks and was breaking through into the area below it. The room had obviously been cleaned very quickly since I found a couple of hairs in the bed and dirt on the table.

The service was awful. The front desk refused to accept a package from Fedex for me, despite having agreed via email to accept it when I reserved my room. They also said they would email me a receipt (the printer was broken), but never did.

The only redeeming quality about this hotel is the free unlimited internet.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank ghartt86
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed January 9, 2013

What a dump! Upon arrival we were informed 'we had the cheapest rooms possible' - we should have left right then! Rude staff, deplorable room conditions - dirty, old and tatty. Mould in the bathroom and cobwebs on the roof. I even found blood stains on the bedding! Door and windows were broken in both of our rooms. We found a condom wrapper and empty alchol bottles right outside our room along with rickety, broken decking. This place is horrible. We unwillingly stayed one night but prefered to sleep in a couch of a relatives and left asap the next day. This place should be reported to the health inspector. Such an awful experience.

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY HERE! I am sure all of the rooms are awful and dirty.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Emily K
Hawera, New Zealand
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Booked to stay at this Hotel because of its free 14 day carparking. First impressions were not good so checked out the Hotel next door who informed me they were going into receivership in a few days for non-compliance. The owner was extremely shifty and had not mentioned this but was extremely keen t take my money. We had booked in to stay here on our return from our holiday and he was also going to take our money for this also, we immediately moved next door and put a block on our credit card to prevent him taking any cash while we were away.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Dec S
Courtenay, Canada
Reviewed December 16, 2012

This hotel is absolutely disgusting. We started by waiting at the Auckland Airport for 90 minutes for the hotel's courtesy shuttle. Upon arrival we immediately noticed that the hotel was run down and not maintained. The lobby was dirty, the men's public washroom in the lobby reeked of urine and the washroom walls were tagged with graffiti. The swimming pool was filthy as was the pool deck.This hotel is a scam. They take advantage of travellers who book on the internet and are duped into thinking that the hotel offers value for money - it doesn't. It should be re-named the Auckland Armpit Inn. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. In fact, it should be reported to a local health authority. The only redeeming feature here was the fact that I was given a cash refund for my non-refundable internet booking and the Best Western hotel across the street was able to accomodate my last minute early check-in after a 13 hour flight from Vancouver.

Room Tip: If you booked this on the internet I suggest that you demand an immediate cash refund and go across...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple