“Comically Bad”
Review of Palms Hotel

Palms Hotel
Ranked #22 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Reviewed December 19, 2011

I booked this hotel on the internet due to needing somewhere close to the airport before my flight early the next morning. Well as soon as I pulled up in the car park I knew this wasn't going to be good. Call me old fashioned but when I see a building with a shabby exterior I'm inclined to think the inside is probably not much better, well unfortunately I was right. I wasn't really greeted at the reception more sort if grunted at, thrown a key and told to walk down the hallway. As I walked towards my room, I was admiring the mess the place was in, floors not clean, broken furniture, stained walls and this was just the hallway! The room itself was not much better, I could have got over the lack of clean windows or the dirty bed or the TV balanced dangerously on a chair! I couldn't however get over the stench of damp emanating from the place. This is a health hazard, I turned round and marched straight back to the reception, en route I couldn't help but take a glimpse at the pool/spa although I noticed the fire hose was leading to it. I couldn't believe it, they use the fire hose to fill up the pool!!! I'm not from NZ so I'm not familiar with it's laws but I'm sure this is pretty much illegal. Well I threw my key back at them and walked across the road to the best western which was fantastic in comparison. Never have I left a hotel early and I have stayed in some pretty crappy hotels but I was absolutely speechless about this hotel, I have never seen such a s**t hole in all my life seriously someone from NZ needs to shut this place down it seriously is a shambles and a major health risk!! I asked the man at the reception how he had the nerve to call this place a hotel? His grunted, unenthusiastic response said everything, real class!

Room Tip: Another hotel
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jared e
There are newer reviews for Palms Hotel

Reviewed December 18, 2011

This place is a nightmare. Met by a stale cooking smell as you walk through the door. The tv doesn't work. The place stinks everywhere. If you are looking for a swim - the pool is a icky green colour. The shuttle service guy was rude- wanted to know what we were waiting for - "ah - checking in mate , you just picked us up from the airport!". As my husband says the "normal rate of $475.00" obviously includes other goods and services. Advertised as $40.00/day out on the road.

Room Tip: Don't go here!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 10, 2011

I wish I had read the reviews on trip advisor BEFORE staying at this motel. Firstly the service was rude and unwelcoming, they gave me the key with no direction what-so-ever of where to go or where I could park my car etc. There was no sky tv, the internet cut out after 10 minutes and the pool and spa area (which looked okay on the website) was far from the picture! Deck outside rooms was uneven and dangerous, beds uncomfortable. The only good thing about this place is its location (close to the airport etc). Can't believe this place is still up and running! Embarasment to people travelling to NZ.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda B
Reviewed December 6, 2011

Can't rate this place - the scale doesn't sink low enough!!

Room Tip: there isn't any! Health Inspector notified at Auckland City Council.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Christine M
Reviewed November 16, 2011

DO NOT EVER STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I was homeless, penniless, sick, injured or in moral danger I would still NOT return to this dive. The end.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank B0nb0n83
Reviewed November 14, 2011

We were only after a room for 1 night, the receptionist who was the same guy that picked us up from the airport couldn't even find us on the system, even after showing him the confirmation that I had printed off prior to arriving. We got given the key to our room, no direction of where to go until I asked. We got to our room & door was wide open & then another guy told us to wait as he still has to vaccum our room, so we stood there for a good 10mins! In the morning we rung for more towels & toilet paper - they said we already had 2 towels & we said correct but could we get another 2. He replied and said he'll see what he can do because the laundry's not open till later? Checkout time is 10am, we got a phone call at 10.20 - no "hello" from the caller, it was just "are you checking out today?" & I said "yes" and then caller said "well it's now after 10am" and I said "I'm aware of that, we'll be out in 5mins" and then caller just disconnected call!!!! The service was just appauling - I will NEVER recommend this place to anyone, not only was it filfy, the service was just as BAD!!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank leauga t
Reviewed October 25, 2011

We came over to the world cup all excited until we arrived at this place. I could not believe how terrible this place was. The staff were rude and the rooms were appalling!!!! The first room we went into the door lock was broken and both window locks were broken so anyone could just come into the room. We complained and the staff were so rude about it. The second room we went to we couldnt even open the room door as the key didnt work. The staff had to open it with the master key. Once inside went to check the windows and the locks were broken as well. How can a place like this still be able to do business as we felt unsafe to the point that we locked all our luggage in the car outside. The showers were dirty, the toilets were dirty, hand rails had been ripped off the walls and just left sitting on a chair like a rubbish tip. Avoid this place at all costs as its unsafe and unhealthy for anyone staying

Room Tip: Don't even consider staying here
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple