“Great hotel with a fantastic kitchen!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Standpipe Golf Motor Inn

Standpipe Golf Motor Inn
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Port Augusta
Sydney, Australia
“Great hotel with a fantastic kitchen!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

The Standpipe is a great place to stay!

My girlfriend and I were travelling in South Australia and decided to use Port August as our hub. We stayed at the Standpipe Golf Motor Inn for two nights. The staff is super friendly, funny, knowledgeable and very helpful. The hotel has a great location in Port August, just at the cross roads, it's literally on the golf course, it’s a short drive to the Flinders Range, the wine region (Barossa and Clare valley) etc.

The room we stay in was very nice, very clean and had all the amenities you could ask for.

We ate in the restaurant both nights, at first we were only going to eat here the first night, but the food we had the first night was so good that we had to come back the following night as well. The restaurant has a very “home like” feeling to it. The service is great and very personal, and the Indian food is out of this world, without doubt the best Indian food I have had in Australia. My girlfriend typically doesn’t like Indian food, but this restaurant converted her and she wanted to go back the day after! The second night we tried some western starters and desserts that was great, but for the mains we had to go with the Indian that was just as good as the night before. The service in restaurant was excellent; it was very nice and relaxing. The last morning we had breakfast at the hotel and the staff was super friendly to accommodate my girlfriends food allergies such as none lactose alternatives etc. The eggs benedict was also fantastic 

Over all we had a very pleasant stay, and I would highly recommend the Standpipe Golf Motor Inn to others. For our next South Australia trip I know where we will stay.

Cheers

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

This hotel is probably the nicest looking in all of Pt Augusta, and nicely tucked away from the town. It was really hard to find as there are no big signs to let you know you are there. We drove right past it, al;most missing it. Basically you need to drive right out of town, and when you think you have missed it all, there is a road sighn pointing right to go to Darwin etc, and if you head straight ahead, you will end up in WA. If you turn right, take the first driveway on the left and drive slowly up to the reception area. If you went straight, do what we did and do a u-turn the first chance you get. Drive back and watch out very hard for the tiny, poorly lit driveway. If you miss that, then just keep driving around the corner to your left and take the other driveway! Our room was old, but comfortable. At least it was clean!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

We arrived just before dark during our trip from Perth to the East Coast. We were tired and were happy to discover we could have our meals delivered to our room from the restaurant. Restaurant rushed down with our drinks first and then dinner arrived a bit later. Meantime we could shower and relax. Room was gorgeous.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Glenys B
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

I always stay here for work, rooms are fantastic value and veryoderm with exception of the bathroom which could do with a minor makeover.

Restaurant and bar is very relaxing and fantastic food

Keep up the good work guys.

• Stayed March 2013
Scarborough, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

My new fiance and I were traveling from Port Macquarie NSW all the way back home to Perth, arriving at 8pm at night having traveled from Dubbo NSW it was nice to see a freindly warm face that was more then happy to accomodate us. We found the cost great, room homely and enough space to park our 4x4 & trailer with jet ski. Setting off early the next morning heading for the WA boarder I realized I had left my earings on the buffet but did not have reception to call, by the time I received reception I had a missed call and msg to let me know the cleaners had found my earings and they would be posted that day. These earings were only worth $20 but the professionalism & honesty of the Standpipe was worth much more. Would 100% stay here again and thanks again to the lovely staff!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rochelle_eve
South Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

The Standpipe is an excellent place to stay. Me and My friends were travelling through Port Augusta on our way Perth. We stayed at the Standpipe Golf Motor Inn. The staff are well trained and very helpful, if you need assistance.

The room we stay in were very nice deluxe twin, very clean and had modern features.

We ate in the restaurant. It is a beautiful old homestead with a great history + feel. We were lucky enough to be shown the cellar and shown the beautiful picture on the wall.

We had both Indian and Australian meals. I would say it is the best Indian we had for a long time, and if you would like a big meal I would try Chicken Schnitzel it is big, my friend could not get through it and he is a big eater.
We also tried the homemade desserts the mars bar cheesecake and chocolate brownie (Chocolate Overload) were amazing. The service in restaurant was excellent, it was very nice relaxing.

Over all I would recommend to everyone to stay at Standpipe Golf Motor Inn, everyone is friendly and very helpful.

Thanks
Kylb459

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

Check-in: Staff were friendly and assisted me in my plans to see what Port Augusta has to offer.

Rooms: Upon check-in, the staff informed me that the hotel has undergone substantial renovations of the rooms. The budget rooms are the older rooms, but I guess you get what you pay for. So I went with the deluxe room and it was superb! I forgot I was in Port Augusta....I could have been in a Manhattan Hotel!

Restaurant: The food was delicious!!! Indian food was the best I have ever eaten and I love my curry..... The western food also looked scrumptious, but I would stay a night in the Standpipe and eat that Indian food all the time. Who would have thought you'd have the best meal of your life in Port Augusta of all places!!!! (and I have traveled the world extensively for business and pleasure!)

Facilities and general surroundings: I like the fact that the Standpipe is situated on the west side of Port Augusta. Lovely and tranquil with the pool neighbouring the golf course.... it really is a relaxing and stress-free environment. I personally wouldn't want to stay in the town itself with the local traffic and general lingerers. Plus, as the establishment is situated on such a large land mass, it was easy to drive my truck with tow around and park.

Overall: Fantastic experience in a newly renovated Motor Inn that has also captured the history of Port Augusta in the the early 1900's...... great history lesson after a few vino's!

Room Tip: Ask for a deluxe room looking over the golf course. You will not be disappointed... Enjoy!