“Disgusting service & unclean cabin”

Discovery Parks – Port Augusta
Adelaide
“Disgusting service & unclean cabin”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We booked into the BIG4 & were meant to stay for 9 days. 2 days later we left. The poor service started from the very moment we spoke with Lisa (who is the manager!). Our cabin floor was almost black. So dirty. The lounge was covered in food crumbs. There was dirty cutlery under the main bed. The cabin had a strong urine type smell. Ended up being the sheer curtains. Not sure why but they were so smelly! The bathroom bench was filthy. I called reception who sent the cleaner over, the very same cleaner who had cleaned it that morning, she said the food crumbs may have come from the air con. Really? And the floor was clean (I showed her with a cloth just how dirty it was! She also said the bathroom bench was stained & not dirty. I wet my finger and ran it across all the marks and..yep...they came off! The amount of spiders/wasps/mosquitoes in the room was insane. The 'spa' was a regular bath with jets. Not exactly the spa suite we had asked for and discussed when booking!
When they realised we had been given wrong info about the room they didn't try to rectify it or apologise.
I asked to see a different cabin (the one we were meant to have) the receptionist sent me there and said it would be unlocked. It wasn't. She then gave me a key. Back I went & opened it only to find a man in there! Back I went again. I was then told that man wasn't booked on the system so when they work out who he is and when he is leaving they will call me & book me into that room. 1 hour later they advise he wants the room for a few more days. So basically a random man who wasn't booked in got the room we were meant to stay in for 9 days! We are a family of 3 and he was given OUR room and he was allowed to stay there in it til he chose to leave!
When I went to the office, to discuss our options, I walked in to hear 2 women screaming hysterically at each other. One was Lisa the manager & one was a cleaner. They were alerted that myself & my 3yr son were standing right by them but they continued to fight! Lisa looked straight at me and didn't stop yelling at the staff member! All the while my child witnessed the abuse. Charming.
We checked out the next day & stayed at the Standpipe Motor Inn in a HUGE family room that was spotless! Staff were amazing and couldn't do more for you. Never EVER will we stay or recommend the Big 4 after the horrid service we received & the filthy cabin that we were expected to be happy with. Lisa needs to learn some Customer Service skills. Appalling. And for $160 a night? You've gotta be kidding.

• Stayed November 2013
4 Thank flinders33

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We booked a standard cabin that sleeps 6, so there was plenty of room for only the two of us. The double bed was in the main room area, whilst there were two bunk sets in the adjoining room. It roomy, clean, and the pool was a short stroll away. The kitchen was fully equipped with a fridge, stove, cutlery and crockery, table and chairs. The air conditioner worked brilliantly, which was great since it was a scorching hot day.

The pool was clean, and a provided much desired relief given the 36 degree day. We used the immaculate barbecue facilities that evening and stored our meat and drinks in the fridge provided.
The service at check in/check out was a little frosty, but overall our stay was very enjoyable and I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shenma
Perth
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Met by pleasant and helpful staff member. Shown a powered caravan site, all drive through. Cars parked at front of van as sites narrow. Easy access and egress. Some shady sites available. No noise or problems with rowdy behaviour. Ablution blocks clean and well maintained. Great stopover for us on our way to see the rest of Oz. Recommend this one.

Room Tip: If you can, get in early, filled up quick.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Several cabin options are available and we chose the ensuite cabin. It was in good working order and clean but the bed was in the main room rather than in a separate room. Also being a small cabin meant there was no lounge which makes sitting not as comfortable.

The cabin was getting a bit old and was showing the wear. Nevertheless we stayed there twice on this trip.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We spent a night at the Port Augusta Big 4 a few weeks ago, wasn't too bad. It was sticky and hot and so instead of just a powered site we opted for a ensuite site. It wasn't so bad reasonably clean, plus a bath mat provided which was good. But when we went to go for a swim, the "manager" was walking past the pool. At this time there were approximately 5-8 people all heading to do the same thing (swim - it was bloody hot!) we were initially told no you cant swim due to oh&s. Then we were told it was due to the pool unable to be cleaned. Then we we're told it was a health risk. All were bad answers and this was all from the mouth of the "manager": Quite disgusting as we would have booked somewhere else if we knew that it was a little windy and they couldn't be bothered to clean the leaves, or was it really something more sinister? who knows but not my cuppa tea. All in all that was lousy. Otherwise we can really complain. The check-in was awfully slow.. I got a trainee which initially I was ok about, until she kept playing the uhhhh I don't know im just leaning crap. It got old pretty quickly. I understand you have to learn, but there are certain things that are common sense with life. Come on.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

We usually stay at the Shoreline Park but never again after staying here, a very nice clean, tidy park. A bit close to highway but if you are tired, you will sleep anywhere. Lady on reception could smile and be a bit more receptive to customers. Not a cheap park but worth it. Will definitely stay here again,

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Tamworth, Australia
Reviewed October 3, 2013

They obviously know that most of their guests will be just passing through Port Augusta. The sites are long enough to drive through and stay hitched. They are very narrow and vehicles need to drive in "top and tail" so you and your neighbour can both use an awning if you want to! We found it convenient and clean, although we were very glad to have arrived early as there was a very long queue to check in during the afternoon so I guess there were some guests not happy with the service. For us it was just fine.
An easy walk into town via the old bridge which is now pedestrian access.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple