“Customer Service is Fantastic”
Review of Mantra Hervey Bay

Mantra Hervey Bay
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Hervey Bay
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We didn't stay at the Mantra, but had seen online that they had a restaurant on site- when we got to the resort the duty manager said that there restaurant had closed a few years back- he then proceeded to give us a map and suggest other restaurants- he was fantastic especially seeing as we weren't guests. If we ever travel to Hervey Bay we will stay with you.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
MantraHB, General Manager at Mantra Hervey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Dear Travellinggirl13,

Thank you for your kind words. We do hope that you choose to stay at Mantra Hervey Bay when you are next in town. I am very pleased to hear that our team members provided you with good service. Aside from the restaurants and cafes that are already adjacent to the property, there will soon be a new restaurant opening within the complex which should further diversify the range of dining options available to our valuable guests.

Colin McIntosh

Write a ReviewReviews (2,245)

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Austrailia Day weekend booked at Mantra Hervey Bay. Not prepared to travel with family due to weather and road conditions. Authorities were advising to restrict travel unless required. Bruce Highway was partially closed due to debris on the road, but not completely closed. Rang Mantra reservations to reschedule due to the weather. Advised that they would not change reservation because the roads weren't closed to traffic. I was still expected to drive to Hervey Bay or forfeit the payment. They were not prepared to allow a change to another weekend or an alternative Mantra resort.

How UnQueensland and unAustralian is this. I will never recommend Mantra to anyone again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steven P

Dear Steven P,

Thank you for your feedback and I certainly can empathise with the difficulties you experienced during the extended period of wet weather that effected south-east Queensland. It is a difficult situation for all concerned and we are fortunate that it does not occur very often. Like the airlines, Mantra Group has strict cancellation policies that are there to protect the interests of the business and the various apartment owners. Allowances are made to modify our standard cancellation policies when roads are closed or an extreme weather event takes place. When these scenarios occur then we will assist guests in amending their booking to a date within the next 12 months. These are advised to us through official channels.

I am sorry that you experienced this inconvenience to your no doubt greatly anticipated long weekend. I am sure that if you should choose to stay at a Mantra Group property in the future then you will have a fantastic stay.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed for 6 nights in a 3 bedroom unit which was clean and tidy when we arrived
the unit was a little dated with a couple of maintenance issues but overall seemed to do the trick

the swimming pool was nice a little small if the hotel is full but we managed to use this a number of times
The gym is small with a running machine and cyclying machine just about fitting in unfortunately the tv is not tuned in or does not have an aerial so was a little dissapointing

A lot of effort has gone in to try to get the hotel up to scratch which is remarkable considering a lot of the units are privately owned and I would presume a constant process of fixing faults and problems

The big question is who are you trying to cater for

I believe families with children need the extras like WIFI and games rooms to keep the children occupied unfortunately the hotel come a little short on this front and needs to review who they are trying to entice

For couples wanting a relaxing holiday away from the beaten track this would be a sanctury with the pool a restuarant next door and the boat club for entertainment and food as well as the jetty and boats in the harbour and a great base for Frazer Island day trips which was about $800 for a family of 5

For us as a family with Ipods Ipads and all the latest gadgetary money could buy our dream I guess is to relax while the children are entertained and unfortunately they got bored after 3 days

In the end we left early which is a pity

Overall we paid about $1800 for the 6 days which on reflection was not the best value in the world especially when we could of paid another $300 for luxury at Peppers just down the road

A word of warning for all trip adviser travellers we tried to cancel and rebook peppers but Mantra group have a no cancellation policy so make sure you do your homework

Highlight of the week the Possum on the roof with her babies which gave us some great pictures

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
MantraHB, General Manager at Mantra Hervey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2013

Dear Tonybeaven,

Thank you for your balanced feedback on your recent stay with us. I am sorry for any maintenance issues that you encountered on arrival, but I am pleased to hear that the room was clean and tidy.

Mantra Group has three properties in Hervey Bay which caters for all areas of the market and various price points. We have Breakfree Great Sandy Straits, Mantra Hervey Bay, and Peppers Pier Resort. We are certainly happy to assist with booking the most appropriate accommodation based on your requirements.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My elderly, wheelchair-bound mother and I stayed in the disability room at the Mantra Hervey Bay for 5 nights in mid-January 2013.

The noise level of the air conditioner compressor on our balcony was UNACCEPTABLE. The compressor operated when either the neighbouring room or ours had the air conditioner turned on. When the compressor ran, we could not hear each other talk while on the balcony, and inside our room, the noise was still far too loud and caused several sleep-interrupted nights. I asked if there was an alternative disability room we could move to, but that’s the only one in the Mantra. Eventually the Duty Manager advised he wouldn’t book anyone in to the next-door room after the current occupants left in 3 days’ time. This was a poor compromise, but I accepted as it seemed the only option apart from cancelling our booking.

I rang Mantra Hervey Bay prior to booking to discuss the disability features and was given a description of them, along with advice that it was a “hotel room”, so I was very disappointed to see how very small the room was and that the bathroom was the only disability area. The room itself had no disability features whatsoever. Its worst points were:

a. The entry door is on such a strong closure that it’s impossible to hold it open while pushing a wheelchair through it. I had to request a door wedge from Reception and wedge the door open to push the chair through. This is not only an inconvenience, but a danger should a disabled person have to evacuate the room in an emergency.

b. The room is so small that I had to push the bed over to one side to make enough room to get the wheelchair onto the balcony, and on returning from the balcony, push the bed the other way for my mother to get to her side of the bed. Fortunately the bed is on castors. There is no way a wheelchair user travelling solo or with an elderly carer could push the bed about. When my mother needed my assistance to transfer from the wheelchair to the bed, space was so tight that I actually had to crawl over the bed to get to the other side of the wheelchair to help her.

c. There is nowhere to sit to drink or eat in the room. The only table was on the balcony, right beside that wretched air compressor! One day of our visit was a cooler rainy day, which was too cold and windy for us to use the table on the balcony for most of the day.

d. Before a person with a disability books this room, I recommend you ask to be sent photos to make sure the room is adequate for your needs. No wonder there are no photos of it on the Mantra website!

On the plus side, the bed was comfortable, the disability bathroom was an adequate size, and the views from the balcony lived up to our expectation and were the highlight of my mother’s visit. She really enjoyed sitting on the balcony and looking out across the marina watching the boats, birds and people passing by – as I did too!

Room Tip: Go to great lengths to avoid a room with an airconditioner compressor on its balcony.
1  Thank Hafra

Dear Hafra,

Thank you for providing such detailed feedback on your recent stay with us. I would like to address some of your concerns regarding the disability room so that we can work on making this a more usable facility for our guests. I will message you directly.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

This was our second stay at the Mantra HB ... the first being about 4 years ago but only for a night and having no negative experiences from that brief stay we decided to have 4 days there between Xmas and New Year. Having read some of the recent mainly negative reviews from folks who were probably staying much the same time we were I would have to stay that our experience was clearly better than theirs.

It's in a great location and yes the rooms and the general layout and corridors are a bit tired, though our white goods in our rooms (6th floor) looked as if they had been replaced relatively recently, the bed was very comfortable and the place was clean, their policy seems to be just ask for clean towels, bathroom toiletries etc if you need new / clean ones and if you want the room serviced you pay for it. That wasn't clear when we booked, but was made clear when we booked in ... no drama for us for 4 days. Only drawback was that if either room in the 2 bed apartment we were in had the aircon it made sitting on the (small) balcony noisy and a bit breezy.

As we wanted to eat in for a couple of the nights we were there we found most of the cutlery / crockery etc that we required was there. BTW if you haven't been, the HB Boat Club 200 metres away is very good for food.

Found the staff polite and friendly on the few dealings we had with them.

It wasn't a concern for us, but I would say for the size of the hotel the pool is way too small and there are very few loungers in the limited space round the pool.

So all in all no major issues, so why have I rated this only as OK rather than good or better ?? Well for what we paid it was not worth it / value ... whether the prices were hiked as it was between Xmas and New Year I don't know, but had the 2 room apartment we had been $250 maybe even $300pn as opposed to $360pn it would have got 4 stars ... at the price we paid it only merits 3 stars.

Room Tip: Unless you want people in the pool to able to see into your room don't book the ground (first fl...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Dear RubyTragic,

Thank you for your detailed feedback on your holiday at Mantra Hervey Bay. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your holiday and that you found your room clean and comfortable. We are certainly trying to address the issues with the air conditioners on the balcony to make this living space more usable for our guests.

The Christmas/New Year Holiday period is the most expensive time to travel to Hervey Bay. I appreciate that for a lot of people it is the only time of year that that they can get away from work and school etc. There are terrific deals available throughout the year that would certainly provide you with far greater value for money.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Ridiculously overpriced for what you get. Stayed for 2 nights but not by choice. Because there was 2A 2Ch we had to book two rooms beside each other with a connecting hallway door. Beds and pillows were like sleeping on concrete, worst nights sleep ever, even the kids complained. Found a dirty used towel in our room, outside table stained with mould/mildew, food crumbs on carpet under coffee table and mildew marks on grout in shower, lounge so uncomfortable you couldn't sit on it. Room dated! No servicing of room, that's extra$, though they still charge ridiculous amount. Used dryer and had to turn it off as it was making a grinding sound of metal on metal. When making reservation informed them that we needed a room that we could access with a wheelchair but understood that the room didn't have a wheelchair accessible bathroom. When we got to the room there was a step up into the room so we had to make a make shift ramp with boards and towels. After the first night we tried to find alternative accom in Hervey bay but due to scout jamboree nothing was available, we were advised by another motel that another person had been in before us also wanting to leave Mantra because they were unhappy. Complained to reception and asked to look at a room that we noticed was free right next door to our room and had disability access and a disability accessible shower. My daughter and I moved to this room and my husband and other child had to stay in one of the other rooms but would not recommend it to persons in a wheelchair as even though there was no steps you couldnt swing a cat in it and was difficult to manouver a wheelchair in it due to limited space and the main door opening onto the bathroom door. Staff did not seem to care about our complaints and even on departure when we complained again about the room and that we wanted a reducation on the cost the staff member just shrugged it off and said that we should of asked to move rooms (which we did) and that they can't reduce the cost. $560 for 2 nights in crap rooms RIDICULOUS. Will never ever stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
MantraHB, General Manager at Mantra Hervey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear Jamie H,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed review of your stay at Mantra Hervey Bay. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. Obviously the cleaning of the room that you stayed in was not up to scratch, but as I have mentioned in another reply this is not normally an issue at this property. I can only imagine that housekeeping has made a few errors in the rush to get rooms cleaned during this extremely busy period.

The decor and age of some of the furnishings are certainly issues that we are addressing with each of the individual apartment owners. Ideally all rooms would have been refurbished by now, but unfortunately that is not the case. We continue to work with our valuable apartment owners on this matter.

Room rates are governed by demand, and the Christmas School holiday period are the two busiest weeks of the year in Hervey Bay. I certainly appreciate that room rates were high over this period, but that is only a reflection of what people are prepared to pay for them during the holiday season. As you found out, it is very difficult to find accommodation during this period as most properties are close to capacity. There are other times of year where fantastic value can be found when booking at Mantra Hervey Bay.

I understand that we provided you with an additional room at no extra cost in order to make things more comfortable for you and your family and this was intended as compensation for you for the difficulties that you had been experiencing.

Please feel free to contact me directly be email if you would like to discuss this further.

colin.mcintosh@mantra.com.au

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Stayed in Hervey Bay before couldn't get into the previous hotel Quarter Decks, so decided to stay at the Mantra (heard it was the best hotel in the bay) checked in no warm greeting or welcome, got our room which was dated too the 80's, the room needed a deep clean, TV and air-con remotes had battery acid leaking so they didn't work, room furnishing were dusty and could of done with a wipe down, the windows had not been cleaned probably in a year, so the view was ruined, balcony was full of dust from the air conditioning unit which had not been cleaned either like the windows, secure carpark should say limited secure carpark as there is not enough for all guest..... Just expect a whole lot more for $360 per night will never stay there or recommend it to anyone :( poor form Mantra......

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear Joshua R,

I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your short stay at Mantra Hervey Bay. I apologise that you encountered problems with some aspects of the cleaning of the apartment that you stayed in. The items that you have listed are certainly normally presented in a very clean state, and we conduct 'spring cleaning' on an annual basis. I am sorry that they were not up to scratch on this occasion, but would like to assure you that we do not normally have issues associated with the cleaning of the rooms.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hervey Bay
#4 of 23 in Hervey Bay
Kingfisher Bay Resort
Kingfisher Bay Resort
#1 of 3 in Fraser Island

Been to Mantra Hervey Bay? Share your experiences!