After reading some of the recent reviews on Tripadvisor, we were pleasantly surprised. We were welcomed by a friendly receptionist (Stephanie) and we were very pleased with the room we were given on the 4th floor. There was a good view over the marina and the carpet, mattress and furnishings appeared to have been recently renewed. We had a spa suite for only 2 days so we didn't get to use all the appliances but the ones we did use worked OK. The flat screen TVs seemed to be quite new and we had no trouble getting a park in the secure area.
It seems that the people who complained about their rooms here were usually booked into hotel type rooms and the manager seems to have had some problem getting the owners to upgrade the furnishings. Presumably those rooms that haven't been upgraded don't get allocated to paying guests except in peak times.
We particularly appreciated the free internet in the foyer but with only 2 computers, it would probably be difficult to get a turn in peak season. During our recent trip to Europe, it was common for hotels to offer free WiFi in hotel rooms which would certainly overcome and problem with access to the computers.
We met another couple while we were staying there and they mentioned that they were initially allocated a room with no view except a billboard. Fortunately they were able to change the room for one with the advertised view over the marina but we were surprised that these kind of rooms were not offered at a reduced tariff.
We only had two minor gripes. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived at 2.00 pm and given that another recent reviewer indicated that there was a strict $10 fee levied on guests who didn't vacate their room by 10.00 am, no mention was made of any discount offered to guests who weren't able to access their room by 2.00 pm - presumably we could have extended our check out by the amount of time past 2.00 pm that our room was unavailable. We didn't do that but it's worth noting that these type of issues should cut both ways.
Our other gripe was that we were required to sign a pre-sale on our credit card for $100. When we asked what we could possibly charge to our room account for $100 we were told by Michael that it was a surety against room damage. We have only been asked to do this twice before - both times in Australia and both previous places had restaurants so there was probably some justification for covering any restaurant charges that may have been left unpaid. While we don't doubt that there are occasions when certain types of guests cause some property damage, levying every room with the $100 is a bit over the top and have to assume that there is some other reason for levying this amount. We do concede that the $100 was refunded promptly on our return home.
The Mantra has a unique position so close to the marina for whale watching and travel to Fraser Island. It is a pity that the shopping area around there has fallen on tough times but there are still a couple of good eating places as well as the Club nearby without having to drive somewhere else to eat.
We would stay here again and we hope that future guests can look forward to a room of similar quality to the one we were allocated.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mantra Hervey Bay is the region's only absolute marina front accommodation, offering direct access to the Great Sandy Strait as well as being one of the best places in Australia for whale watching. Only three and half hours north of Brisbane or just five minutes from the Fraser Coast airport, Mantra Hervey Bay offers a range of accommodation perfect for your Fraser Coast holiday. Featuring hotel rooms and one, two, and self-contained three bedroom apartments, all rooms include private balconies and cable TV, with most rooms featuring a spa bath. One and two bedroom apartments offer the additional convenience of kitchenette and laundry facilities. Onsite leisure facilities at Mantra Hervey Bay include a swimming pool, sauna, exercise room, BBQ facilities and adjoining restaurants. Free security parking is available. There is also a number of retail outlets including fashion boutiques, a day spa and gift stores within the marina precinct. With an abundance of nature, such as the Great Sandy Strait, Fraser Island and the wetlands, as well as the eco tourism ventures and attractions, Hervey Bay offers something for every visitor. Hervey Bay is an idyllic location to experience the Fraser Coast with Mantra Hervey Bay providing the perfect base to explore all that is on offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mantra Hervey Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mantra Hervey Bay Hotel Hervey Bay
- Mantra Hotel Hervey Bay
- Hervey Bay Mantra Hotel
- Mantra Hervey Bay Fraser Coast