“One of the best Aussie hostels”

and 1 more site!
Aussie Woolshed Backpackers Hervey Bay, Fraser Island
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We wanted to book a Palace Adventures Fraser Island tour but had heard bad reviews about the hostel the group normally stay in. We found this hostel across the road and they offered us two nights accommodation either side of our tour and stored our bags for us when we booked the trip through them (and free wifi!). The hostel itself was fantastic with a large BBQ area and hammocks for hot sunny days. There was also a communal cabin with a big kitchen area, dining area and lounge with TV. The couple running it were very friendly and although the reception was closed at certain hours of the day, the place was everything you could want from a hostel. Would absolutely recommend staying here.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rachael H
There are newer reviews for Aussie Woolshed Backpackers Hervey Bay, Fraser Island

Reviewed September 8, 2012

i loved this hostel. the couple who ran it were friendly and so helpful, (previous travellers) so they knew what we wanted. rooms were so clean and homely and security was there priority. had a 3 share room with a TV n DVD player. well worth the money.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We loved this hostel - its really close to the beach and shops (5-10 min walk), clean, lovely looking grounds and friendly helpful staff. We stayed here for 7 nights in total, before and after a trip to Fraser Is and ended up staying in 3 different rooms - all of which were lovely. (double rooms). Free wifi if you book trips with them - and they will pick you up and take you to and from your bus which is handy.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2012

4 Share Dorm

positive:
- calm place and nice garden
- friendly staff
- clean rooms, cleaned each day
- tv room and kitchen are ok
- private TV in room and free DVD´s from reception!

negative:
- no lockers
- no private bathroom

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I was traveling up the Queensland coast and needed a place to stay for a night after Brisbane. Hervey Bay had the most tourist infrastructure in the area. Surprisingly the town was quite sleepy and run-down, despite having a gorgeous beach. Maybe it is more vibrant in the vacation season.

I stayed in a private ensuite room for 1 night. The room was clean and comfortable, very similar to a standard motel room. The only difference was that I had to bring my linens to the reception in the morning.

The hostel was located on a rather deserted street, a few minutes walk from the beach. I arrived late, so the manager sent me instructions on getting the key to my room. The WiFi required payment, so I did not use it. The hostel had a large courtyard that gave it a very tropical feel.

Most people probably stop in Hervey on the way to Fraser island. Unfortunately I did not have time for it on this trip. I arrived late and most restaurants were already closing. The Thai place was quite decent and there was a bar nearby. A few locals were watching a game there. They were very friendly, but hard to understand because of the thick accent.

In the morning I met the manager (or owner) who was very nice and gave me good advice about my next destinations. I asked him for a place for breakfast and he directed me to a cafe on the beach under a german flag, which was very good.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 30, 2012

On my own and a lovely place to stay, friendly and very helpful Kiwi hosts and beautiful private garden to sit and relax in. Very affordable and close to beach and shops.

Room Tip: All rooms look good, small dorms and single and double rooms. TV room kitchen and garden with ha...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank pingyloo
Reviewed April 29, 2012

By far my favourite Backpackers hostel I've stayed in on Australia's East coast. This is probably because I travel on such a small budget I choose the cheapest places and therefore don't get the best experience - however, Woolshed is a gem of a hostel that definitely exceeded all my expectations!

Firstly, the customer service is amazing - which tends to et overlooked in many of the hostels. Brent at the reception. had our room keys, a map to our room, a map to Hervey Bay, and a hand written note with all the necessary instructions ready for us even though we checked in after office hours.

We stayed in a six bed dorm. The room was designed very well to give each person as much privacy they can have in a room with five other people. The toilets were clean and well stocked. Great cosy common room! Beautiful garden with hammocks. Bus station shuttle was a nice perk - be sure to book a seat though!

Overall had a great vibe, personal service, and well worth the money!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends