“Loved it!”

Flashpackers Hervey Bay
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Loved it!”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Free shuttle to and from the Greyhound, great helping to plan and book our Fraser island trip, comfortable ensuite rooms and free breakfast. We would definitely recommend this, it simply had everything we needed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 22, 2013

It's an oasis during your trip! It's totally clean, the stuff is prepared to solve any problems a traveller might have. This is what i call service. i wish there were more hostels like this where they treat you in such a nice way.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights in between a visit to Fraser Island. A 5 minute walk from the beach, this hostel is specious, clean and the staff are super helpful. I arrived on the Greyhound and the hostel shuttle was waiting to collect and transfer me. They can also help with tour bookings, taxis, and other food recommendations.

I stayed in an 8 bed dorm and although they have portable fans, I created more air through blowing. As such the rooms can get quite hot and sticky, which is fine outside the summer months...which is when I stayed.

Would recommend as a great base to visit Fraser Island, and you'll meet other like minded, Fraser Island and East coast travellers here. Free wifi and Internet too, but only in the common areas.

• Stayed January 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this hostel for one night following a trip to Fraser Island. Our tour travel agent booked our stay as part of the package. The dorm had 4 sets of bunk beds which filled the room and left no space with our backpacks. The rooms were very hot and had no aircon which meant an uncomfortable nights sleep. Staff were very helpful booking travel arrangements for us and providing a free shuttle service. We followed this stay with a stay in the Noosa Flashpackers which we much preferred.

• Stayed January 2013
Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

We were well impressed with this hostel compared to others that we stayed in. Myself and 2of my friends stayed in a 4bed dorm, only downer about it was that there was no air con. We had asked for a fly screen for our window so we could leave it open as the fan in the room wasn't any use. The guy at reception said he would see what he could do, we didnt get a fly screen but he did come in with another better fan for us. Other than that, it's a brilliant hostel, cinema room, pool, walk in fridge, very clean! Defin a good stay!!

• Stayed December 2012
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2013

First things first, I love this Flashpacker concept. When I saw this hostel on Tripadvisor, I knew I was going to have to stay here. They have a Sister hostel in Noosa, which was unfortunately fully booked for the nights I wanted to go. Don't hesitate, if you are heading to either of these places on your Australia trip, make sure you book!

Ok, so the location is not bad, a couple of streets away from the beach. On my first afternoon, I walked for a couple of miles along the beach and then back along the road. I passed a few odd shops and restaurants on the way, but it left me thinking that I wasn't really that sure about Hervey Bay or where the centre actually was! I guess it is mostly a jumping off point for whale watching tours or several days on Fraser island, so it's not a problem. The hotel provides a courtesy shuttle a number of times per day to and from Coles and surrounding shopping centre, which is located a 5min drive away near the bus station. This was much appreciated, as I really didn't see anywhere else to buy food.

The hostel itself is new and modern. I stayed in a 4 bed female dorm, which had the bonus of an en suite. Each bed had a reading light, which was useful. There was no allocated storage space for bags, but the room was big enough that you could leave them on the floor and not clutter the room. The kitchen and lounge area is very nice, with lots of tables for eating. The cooking areas were particularly nice with individual hob and preparation areas.

Reception staff were polite, friendly and enthusiastic and always on hand to help with any queries and to book tours.

Whilst in Hervey Bay, I took a day trip to Fraser island. I know all the tour companies promote their 3 day/2 night trips, but having been I really don't see how you need longer than a day to see the whole island. It feels like some of these companies are really trying to cash in on getting backpackers to spend money unnecessarily (the sailing trips to the Whitsundays also spring to mind). I also spent a morning whale watching, which was an amazing experience!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights. Big kitchen which was fantastic for cooking and fully equiped. Big walk in Fridge with ample space. Great shuttle service which dropped us and collected us from Coles, bus stop etc. Stayed in 4 bed mixed dorm which had a bathroom in the room. Great shower. Linen is pressed and clean. Free breakfast until, 9.30 which was very good. Not much to do in the hostel in the evening and tv was in separate cinema room which was away from couches and relaxing areas. No aircon either...which was ok. Too far away from town to do anything in the evening. The girls at reception were very good and helpful. Overall great place to stay if you want a quiet, clean place to stay before hitting Fraser Island. Would definetly recommend!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple